Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: M107/BCD

Post by martyscncgarage »

markcadcam wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:14 am If I can use a combination of 5 volt and 24 volt Inputs and Outputs providing I can use all 8 of each then this might work. The limit switches are all hooked together in series so only one pin would be needed for those and I don't use a fault pin for the VFD. Just might work. I would love to run Centroid on my lathe.
You could also drive 3 small 5Volt relays to close the Acorn inputs. Could also likely be done electronically...
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

markcadcam wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:14 am If I can use a combination of 5 volt and 24 volt Inputs and Outputs providing I can use all 8 of each then this might work. The limit switches are all hooked together in series so only one pin would be needed for those and I don't use a fault pin for the VFD. Just might work. I would love to run Centroid on my lathe.
Do remember you still only have 8 inputs to work with, even in combination with the DB25. You probably understand that, but wanted to be clear.

How does the PIC operate? What is the sequence of events?
Sounds to me like All in one DC would be a better match for your machine (Maybe OAK depending on the servo drives you are using) than trying to make Acorn work in its current configuration. The software and PLC is capable.
Mesa, AZ
markcadcam
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by markcadcam »

Yes, I'm aware of only having 8 inputs to work with. Thanks.

The way my 8 position ATC presently works is as follows:
When a Tool # is requested, the turret by way of the motion controller moves to the XZ Home position and then the Tool # is sent serially from the motion controller to my turret controller.
The turret controller looks to see if it is already at that tool location. If it is, then it will go back into the program loop and waits for another tool #. There are 4 outputs from the Hall Effect sensor circuit connected to the turret that gives a 12 or 0 volt output. I scan these outputs to determine what position the turret is in.
If it sees that it needs to change tool position, it puts the motion controller in Feed Hold mode and then raises the turret to disengage/unlock it and waits for a limit switch to be hit, assuring it is disengage and ready to move.
A servo motor rotates the turret until it has move the correct amount of steps. Then an air cylinder is activated which precisely locates the turret in the radial location and then the turret is lowered locking it in place.
Now the turret controller Un-Pauses the motion controller letting it continue on with the g-code program.
martyscncgarage

markcadcam wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:17 am Yes, I'm aware of only having 8 inputs to work with. Thanks.

The way my 8 position ATC presently works is as follows:
When a Tool # is requested, the turret by way of the motion controller moves to the XZ Home position and then the Tool # is sent serially from the motion controller to my turret controller.
The turret controller looks to see if it is already at that tool location. If it is, then it will go back into the program loop and waits for another tool #. There are 4 outputs from the Hall Effect sensor circuit connected to the turret that gives a 12 or 0 volt output. I scan these outputs to determine what position the turret is in.
If it sees that it needs to change tool position, it puts the motion controller in Feed Hold mode and then raises the turret to disengage/unlock it and waits for a limit switch to be hit, assuring it is disengage and ready to move.
A servo motor rotates the turret until it has move the correct amount of steps. Then an air cylinder is activated which precisely locates the turret in the radial location and then the turret is lowered locking it in place.
Now the turret controller Un-Pauses the motion controller letting it continue on with the g-code program.
Well, unfortunately I think what you are trying to do is a bit of a stretch with Acorn, to do it cleanly anyway. The software is capable, but you need more I/O and the current Acorn hardware just doesn't have the I/O needed for more complex ATC operation.

As previously mentioned, depending on your servo drives, perhaps OAK would be more suited to your machine. I know its more of a spend. If I was making money with my machine, I'd personally bite the bullet and buy OAK or All in One DC.

We are at the mercy of what I/O is available to us in a $265 motion controller. Perhaps you can still get creative and make it work.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
markcadcam

Post by markcadcam »

Thanks for your input. I think I can still make it work.
martyscncgarage

markcadcam wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:01 pm Thanks for your input. I think I can still make it work.
Cool. Where there is a will there is a way. Keep us posted on your progress.
Mesa, AZ
Djaber Kharoubi

Post by Djaber Kharoubi »

hello everyone, nice to read what is in this forum,
I wanted to ask you.
I have the same issue, I have a stepper motor installed on the tool turret, still not able to run the turret as an axis ?
if not, I'm thinking to use some sort of home made board, to generate a signal to run the stepper on the turret based on the order of turning comming from the centroid, and use the same board to push a clutch an turn the turret on the reverse direction
Just to avoid changing the turret motor to a DC or AC one
is this a suitble solution ??
thnks a lot for the informations in this discution
Chaz
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by Chaz »

Djaber Kharoubi wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:23 pm hello everyone, nice to read what is in this forum,
I wanted to ask you.
I have the same issue, I have a stepper motor installed on the tool turret, still not able to run the turret as an axis ?
if not, I'm thinking to use some sort of home made board, to generate a signal to run the stepper on the turret based on the order of turning comming from the centroid, and use the same board to push a clutch an turn the turret on the reverse direction
Just to avoid changing the turret motor to a DC or AC one
is this a suitble solution ??
thnks a lot for the informations in this discution
You can, look up my previous ATC threads where I found a solution with a stepper driven tool turret.