Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: M107/BCD

Post by markcadcam »

The output of my turret controller outputs 5 volts not 24 volts. If I connect my 5 volt common to the Acorn common, will the input pins on the Acorn recognize the 5 volt signals?
eng199
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by eng199 »

There is little chance of that working. If the 5V outputs are push/pull drivers, there are two possible scenarios. The outputs may be overloaded by the 24V pull up on the inputs, or the outputs could clamp to 5V and force the inputs on all the time.
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

markcadcam wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:08 am The output of my turret controller outputs 5 volts not 24 volts. If I connect my 5 volt common to the Acorn common, will the input pins on the Acorn recognize the 5 volt signals?
More of a chance of making it work using a DB25 male breakout board and using the I/O on Acorns DB25.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
markcadcam

Post by markcadcam »

Unfortunately the db25 connector only has 5 input pins. It's looking like I won't be able to use the Acorn on my lathe.
martyscncgarage

markcadcam wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:00 pm Unfortunately the db25 connector only has 5 input pins. It's looking like I won't be able to use the Acorn on my lathe.
First. How many I/O do you need. Let's go from there.
Define them. Let's see if we can come up with something.
Mesa, AZ
markcadcam

Post by markcadcam »

I need 3 inputs for the turret controller going to the Acorn board, inputs 5,6 and 7 on the Acorn board are needed for this. Homing pins for X and Z axis. Limit switches/Estop.

I need outputs for the VFD, forward and reverse, coolant, collet close, collet open.

My controller outputs 5 volts from the Pic micro that needs to talk to the Acorn board for turret indexing. This is the show stopper. All other motion controllers I have used are 5 volts. This the first motion controller I have that uses 24 volts.
martyscncgarage

markcadcam wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:24 pm I need 3 inputs for the turret controller going to the Acorn board, inputs 5,6 and 7 on the Acorn board are needed for this. Homing pins for X and Z axis. Limit switches/Estop.

I need outputs for the VFD, forward and reverse, coolant, collet close, collet open.

My controller outputs 5 volts from the Pic micro that needs to talk to the Acorn board for turret indexing. This is the show stopper. All other motion controllers I have used are 5 volts. This the first motion controller I have that uses 24 volts.
What make and model is the machine?
Any pictures of it?
Why a PIC? Is this what you needed to interface it with Mach? What functions is it doing?
With a full PLC, Centroid can handle it. You are right, we are limited to the 8 inputs and outputs of Acorn.

You have eaten up for inputs having separate limit and home switches. One for Estop, one for VFD fault.

I'd like to see a picture of your machine and turret. (I bet all of us would?) :)
Mesa, AZ
markcadcam

Post by markcadcam »

The lathe is a Hardinge HNC. The turret air drive system was replaced with a servo drive system.

There are pictures of it on this link at the bottom of the page. viewtopic.php?f=60&t=993&hilit=markcadcam&start=10

The Pic Turret controller was needed to communicate with the DeskCNC controller by way RS-232 serial communucation. The turret controller indexes the turret and does a bunch of error checking so it will not change tools while turning a part. It puts the DeskCNC control in feed hold while changing tools.

Looks like I'll look into another controller for my lathe.
eng199
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by eng199 »

If you need 3 5V inputs and the other inputs can run at 24V, it should still be workable. The 5V inputs could be wired to the DB25 and input numbers rearranged so it all fits.
One of the limit switches on each axis can be used as the home switch in most cases. This would lower the input count.
markcadcam

Post by markcadcam »

If I can use a combination of 5 volt and 24 volt Inputs and Outputs providing I can use all 8 of each then this might work. The limit switches are all hooked together in series so only one pin would be needed for those and I don't use a fault pin for the VFD. Just might work. I would love to run Centroid on my lathe.