Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

CNC12 won't load properly on factory-supplied computer

Post by DocsMachine »

I received my Dell touchscreen computer and Acorn board on Friday (yesterday) and sat down to try the bench test as shown in Marty's video.

When trying to install CNC12, I keep getting this error message:

Aborting, of course, cancels the whole operation, retrying just keeps popping the error back up, and ignoring lets the install finish, but nothing happens when I click on the desktop icon- because of course there's no executable to launch it.

I'm rather disappointed since I spent the extra on the factory-preloaded/preconfigured PC specifically so I would have fewer configuration headaches to contend with.

Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Doc.
DocsMachine
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Re: CNC12 won't load properly on factory-supplied computer

Post by DocsMachine »

Restarting the PC seems to have straightened things out, and I was able to launch CNC12. The board's just on the table, but I was able to test my spindle encoder, again similar to Marty's video. Soldered ends, even, and got it right on the first try. :)

Now as soon as my stepper controllers arrive, I can wire it up properly and give it a try.

Doc.
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Great news Doc! Glad you got past the first obstacle OK. You're going to need some patience but you will get there. :)

Quite a curse fest going on in my shop today. :x As usual, my own fault! I'm struggling with the new (to me) Acorn procedures and get PO'd & frustrated much easier these days than before my stroke. Mach3 was the enemy I knew too well before and it's going to take a minute before I'm completely clear of it. Acorn's not really an enemy but I just don't know it well enough yet.

I was having all kinds of weird problems and chased an intermittent contactor fault in circles all morning. Turns out there was a voltage drop across the my (Radio Shack) "start" push-button causing an incomplete pull in of the contactor. Simple stuff but I'm the 1st to admit the ol' noggin ain't as clear as it used to be.
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:21 pm Great news Doc! Glad you got past the first obstacle OK. You're going to need some patience but you will get there. :)

Quite a curse fest going on in my shop today. :x As usual, my own fault! I'm struggling with the new (to me) Acorn procedures and get PO'd & frustrated much easier these days than before my stroke. Mach3 was the enemy I knew too well before and it's going to take a minute before I'm completely clear of it. Acorn's not really an enemy but I just don't know it well enough yet.

I was having all kinds of weird problems and chased an intermittent contactor fault in circles all morning. Turns out there was a voltage drop across the my (Radio Shack) "start" push-button causing an incomplete pull in of the contactor. Simple stuff but I'm the 1st to admit the ol' noggin ain't as clear as it used to be.
Milton, we are all susceptible to that! Dilligence in back tracking usually solves it. Sharing that knowledge helps many! We learn from the Oops!

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

DocsMachine wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:36 pm Restarting the PC seems to have straightened things out, and I was able to launch CNC12. The board's just on the table, but I was able to test my spindle encoder, again similar to Marty's video. Soldered ends, even, and got it right on the first try. :)

Now as soon as my stepper controllers arrive, I can wire it up properly and give it a try.

Doc.
Doc, glad you got it sorted. Sadly, we are still at the mercy of Microsoft's Windows O.S..
Marty
Mesa, AZ
DocsMachine

Post by DocsMachine »

Can the CNC software (CNC12, etc.) be uninstalled and reloaded if there any issues, like most other software? I know you'd lose your settings and whatnot, but it's not a matter of having to buy another license if you have Pro, right?

Doc.
martyscncgarage

DocsMachine wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:59 pm Can the CNC software (CNC12, etc.) be uninstalled and reloaded if there any issues, like most other software? I know you'd lose your settings and whatnot, but it's not a matter of having to buy another license if you have Pro, right?

Doc.
Watch the video on creating and restoring from a report.
The report contains everything to restore you machine.
Yes, you can uninstall and reinstall on another machine. Just create a report on the working PC first.
Reinstall the software and restore. Keep your license in a couple places. If needed just use the Utility to read the license file and you are all set.

I hope that makes sense and answer your question
Marty
Mesa, AZ
DocsMachine

Post by DocsMachine »

That's a video I haven't seen. Is there a listing of all the relevant videos, somewhere? Some appear to be linked from the Acorn pages, some are posted here- but in multiple different threads- and so on.

If there isn't such a complete listing, maybe we should put one together- here's the ones you'll need to get started, here's the ones you'll need if you're having trouble, here's the ones you'll need for switching/upgrading PCs, here's the mill-specific one, here's the lathe-specific ones, etc, etc.

Doc.
martyscncgarage

DocsMachine wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:08 pm That's a video I haven't seen. Is there a listing of all the relevant videos, somewhere? Some appear to be linked from the Acorn pages, some are posted here- but in multiple different threads- and so on.

If there isn't such a complete listing, maybe we should put one together- here's the ones you'll need to get started, here's the ones you'll need if you're having trouble, here's the ones you'll need for switching/upgrading PCs, here's the mill-specific one, here's the lathe-specific ones, etc, etc.

Doc.
I am asking Keith to create a forum for VIDEOS only. They can't be responded to so they all stay together.
Its natural to reply, but then good info doesn't get started in a proper thread.

Its all new, it will get sorted.

Here is a link to my Quickie Tip Video on Creating and Restoring a Report
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=943&p=4312&hilit=Quickie#p4312
Mesa, AZ