CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Can an Acorn be run from a laptop?

Post by Fastest1 »

I see no real reference in the search.
Dell laptop is an i7-6500U@2.50GHz
16GB of RAM
It is running W10 Home
Would that be possible? I understand having to go thru the optimization process if that is possible with a laptop.
I remember issues with Mach mentioned.
I just ordered the Acorn and Pro upgrade for the mill.
1st Acorn project. G0704/BDTools/Hoss Conversion De"maching"
Leadshine MX 3660
Repurposed above Acorn (#194) and an Ethernet 1616 to a UMC-10 with an 8 position tool changer.
CNC12 Pro/Digitizing ver 4.64 (1/31/2022)
frijoli
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Re: Can an Acorn be run from a laptop?

Post by frijoli »

Should be fine with that if it meet the specs.
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
Fastest1
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No

Post by Fastest1 »

Thanks Frijoli. That is kind of what I expected.
I will see if all of the options to disable features are the same as a desktop during the optimization.
Leadshine MX 3660
Repurposed above Acorn (#194) and an Ethernet 1616 to a UMC-10 with an 8 position tool changer.
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Welcome Fastest, it's good to see you over here in the Centroid world. :D I've always enjoyed your posts on the other forums and look forward to your contributions to the Acorn knowledge base.

I hope the laptop works out well. I never thought about it 'til now but when a 2nd Acorn is purchased for my new mill project, it'll help when setting up the software with the CNC12 Wizard. It'll help me to be able to take the Wizard software to work & do some setup stuff during slow periods. AFAIK, Acorn is linked to 1 PC at a time. That's the only thing I miss about Mach so far. :)
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
Fastest1

Post by Fastest1 »

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:58 am Welcome Fastest, it's good to see you over here in the Centroid world. :D I've always enjoyed your posts on the other forums and look forward to your contributions to the Acorn knowledge base.

I hope the laptop works out well. I never thought about it 'til now but when a 2nd Acorn is purchased for my new mill project, it'll help when setting up the software with the CNC12 Wizard. It'll help me to be able to take the Wizard software to work & do some setup stuff during slow periods. AFAIK, Acorn is linked to 1 PC at a time. That's the only thing I miss about Mach so far. :)
Good to see you too DB!
I have been having too much difficulty keeping XP and Mach alive without problems.
Everyone seems to be pretty pleased with the Acorn. I would like to be able to machine something instead of constantly looking for solutions regarding computers.
I do have a sweet little computer I built for Mach but doesnt meet the requirements for the Acorn but my laptop does.
Though no one ever recommends using your CNC computer for other things, we all do. I am hoping it will work til I buy or build a NUC.
Leadshine MX 3660
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

A laptop at work no problem as long as it meets the minimum requirements or is very close I would highly recommend installing an SSD though and be sure to turn off laptop specific features like power savings and going to sleep that sort of thing.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

Fastest1 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:08 pm I see no real reference in the search.
Dell laptop is an i7-6500U@2.50GHz
16GB of RAM
It is running W10 Home
Would that be possible? I understand having to go thru the optimization process if that is possible with a laptop.
I remember issues with Mach mentioned.
I just ordered the Acorn and Pro upgrade for the mill.
Helluva nice laptop for Acorn! :D
Watch ebay for the Lenovo M92P tiny. If you can find one loaded with Win10 a plus, if you can find one with built in WiFi (look for the antennas on the back) double plus. They use standard 2.5" SATA drives so easy to swap to SSD. CPU is Intel 1151 socket mounted. Nice and compact. You can usually score one around $200 ish.

Then ASUS VT207N 19" 16:9 wide angle monitor you are set. Asus does make a 15.6" version VT168H but not much less than the 19", but might be better suited to smaller machines. I have two of them, one on a Dyna DM2400 the other on a D&M4 CNC Mill (Based on the Sherline CNC mill with an enclosure)

Welcome, you are going to like hardware (with TRUE spindle encoder input) and software from the same manufacturer doing CNC control for over 30 years! Do you still have your DM3000?
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Fastest1

Post by Fastest1 »

Marty, Yes I still have the DM3000, It sits in the corner and haunts me as to its potential. Especially after seeing some beautiful conversions, those always discourage me, make me realize what I dont know and inspire change.
In fact after hitting the buy now button on the Acorn and the Pro mill, I realized I might want to use it on that lathe instead. I would think moving from pro mill to pro lathe wont be an issue. In the end most likely run a few Acorns.

My 0704 is running Mach or was til I built a new pc and apparently dont have any legal XP copies around. I am stuck in a endless activation loop. I cant seem to find any solution online. I am thinking about buying an unopened licensed copy and install it. The pc I built works great with Mach and XP via the PP.

Oh and the laptop was just what I had and wont be solely used for CNC. Most likely til I get a NUC or something with a small form factor like you suggested.
Leadshine MX 3660
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

I would suggest starting with Mill first.
There is actually a user working on his DM3000 now. I have a DM3000 as well (long story) and will get around to finishing.

Really, do the mill first.
How is your mill configured? What motor drives and motors?

Baby steps....we'll get you there. If Dickeybird can do it anyone can! :lol:
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Fastest1

Post by Fastest1 »

The set up and all looks very straight forward.
I was looking thru the options with the wizard even though I dont possess the Acorn yet.

The 0704 is running an MX3660, (2) 570 oz 23's and a 960 oz 34. It has limit switches on all axis' etc.

In regards to the other DM project going on. I wonder if he or she is attempting bidirectional tool changes? The turret is able to do it if you power the pawl. In the past everyone has been unidirectional.
I wonder if I can use the switches in the turret though I have no idea how they work or reference?

I really just want to move forward again. I am tired of having a small shortcoming in systems. This all looks promising.
Leadshine MX 3660