Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Logan lathe CNC conversion

Post by DocsMachine »

Anyone that's been around HSM recently has probably already seen this, but I figured I'd post this here as well, since I'm working on switching over to this new board.

Last summer I converted a mid-'50s Logan 920 cabinet lathe over to CNC, going with the usual home-shop mods of a couple steppers and some eBay ballscrews. I have a fairly extensive step by step write-up of the whole process (as well as other machine tool rebuilds) if anyone wants to see the gory details. :D

While I got the machine running, more or less (no encoder, no limit switches, etc.) on Mach 3, I'm still very much the inexperienced noob on the software side of CNC, and even with some slightly more experienced help, we had a lot of difficulty going from drawing to model to toolpath to finished part.

I also didn't like M3's poor encoder capability, as more than half the parts I need to produce need to be threaded- in some cases multi-lead. I was quite happy to see the Acorn announced, and waited patiently until the lathe software was released.

I'm just starting the conversion over from the old XP/M3/BOB setup (which works) and getting ready for the new parts. The first piece of which is the spindle encoder, the mount for which I might have gone a little bit overboard. :)

The encoder itself is a Koyo from Automationdirect, as recommended in the "encoder suitability" thread, and currently on sale at $65. The pulleys are XL timing belt parts from Mcmaster-Carr, suitably modified. The bearings were "whatever I had in the drawer" and everything else was scrap from the material racks. :) (The encoder mount build section starts here.)

Stand by for a bunch of stupid questions on both the setup and how to run the Acorn. I'm pretty new at this. :D

Doc.
DICKEYBIRD
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Re: Logan lathe CNC conversion

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Welcome Doc, good to see you over here! Love that encoder mount. Overkill? Naah. Art? Yes! These guys will help you do exactly what you want to do with your Logan. :)
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

DocsMachine wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:52 am I'm just starting the conversion over from the old XP/M3/BOB setup (which works) and getting ready for the new parts. The first piece of which is the spindle encoder, the mount for which I might have gone a little bit overboard. :)

The encoder itself is a Koyo from Automationdirect, as recommended in the "encoder suitability" thread, and currently on sale at $65. The pulleys are XL timing belt parts from Mcmaster-Carr, suitably modified. The bearings were "whatever I had in the drawer" and everything else was scrap from the material racks. :) (The encoder mount build section starts here.)

Stand by for a bunch of stupid questions on both the setup and how to run the Acorn. I'm pretty new at this. :D

Doc.
Welcome Doc. I think you will be pleased with your choice of using Centroid Acorn for your build.
Excellent job on mounting the encoder. That's the way it should be done.
Just posted a video on setting up the encoder in the Wizard when th etime comes.

Keep us updated on your progress. Pictures are great!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
DocsMachine

Post by DocsMachine »

Just as a quick question, as I haven't run across it in the admittedly little skimming I've done of the documentation, but can CNC12 run gang tooling with an Acorn?

I'm assuming it can, but also curious if I'll need to upgrade from the basic/free version in order to do so.

Doc.
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

gang tooling is no problem. if you have more than 10 tools you'll need the pro version. if you have less than 10 tools the free version is good.
gang tooling is just a bunch of tools mounted in a row on a fixture plate, each tool has a number and all you do is set them up in the tool library like any other tool with an X and Z offset . instructions on how to set lathe tool offset are in the CNC11 operator manual found here
http://www.centroidcnc.com/downloads/ce ... manual.pdf

To prevent the lathe from stopping between tools for a manual tool change, set parameter 6 to 1 to "pretend" it's an ATC.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

cnckeith wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:21 am gang tooling is no problem. if you have more than 10 tools you'll need the pro version. if you have less than 10 tools the free version is good.
gang tooling is just a bunch of tools mounted in a row on a fixture plate, each tool has a number and all you do is set them up in the tool library like any other tool with an X and Z offset . instructions on how to set lathe tool offset are in the CNC11 operator manual found here
http://www.centroidcnc.com/downloads/ce ... manual.pdf
I might add, if you follow step by step, setting up the tool offsets, the manual is pretty good at explaining it.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Hey Doc you may as well go ahead with the Pro version because the free version won't do threading. Since multi-start threading is your main reason for the whole CNC/Acorn/encoder enchilada, go for it! :D
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
Reedfirst

Post by Reedfirst »

Nice Job on that encoder mount and write up!

Looking forward to seeing the Lathe run!
DocsMachine

Post by DocsMachine »

Got the belt in and installed, and everything looks like it works just fine.

I was hoping that just keeping everything machined square and true would let it track properly, but as it turned out, I had to add a small setscrew to do a slight bit of fine-tuning.

-Recommendation to anyone trying a similar setup; use wheels that have flanges, so tracking will pretty much take care of itself.

Doc.
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

One wheel with a flange and one without. This reduces friction and belt wear.

Tom
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.