CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

OMRON E6B2-CWZ1X Encoder Unboxining and Overview

Post by martyscncgarage »

OK,
There was a lot of chatter about the Omron E6B2-CWZ1X Incremental encoder being offered from Ebay vendors out of China. I ordered one, Here is the link: http://r.ebay.com/T9oI5K

It shipped out of China on 10/16/17, arrived in Mesa, AZ on 10/28/17 via Epacket shipping (If you have to buy from a Chinese vendor, spend a couple extra bucks for Epacket shipping.

In this Part 1 video, I do an unboxing, overview and wire it to an Adafruit DB9 male breakout board connector with hood (Solderless)
(Side tip on my favorite screw driver for tiny set screws. Klien #32581, can be found on Amazon for let than $10, trust me, best $10! http://a.co/hGhYVEy

Specs on this model number encoder can be found here: https://www.ia.omron.com/product/item/2382/

Part 2 is the acid test. Firing up Acorn, configuring the encoder and seeing if it "chooches" (Stolen from Ave on YouTube) on the bench.

https://youtu.be/7_WjFjgoiCE
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
C6MFG
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: OMRON E6B2-CWZ1X Encoder Unboxining and Overview

Post by C6MFG »

On pins and needles...need to get an encoder or two and would love to get them at this price!

Jason
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Nice! Thanks, Marty! Orange, yellow...it's all the same to them. :lol: Curious how the English instructions are worded. I'd assume if it looks like it's written by a Chinese person, then there'd be absolutely no question that it's a fake.
762x51
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC56DD75-0605170063 , 985DAD4295CF-0928170127 , 38D2694E4703-1222170401

Post by 762x51 »

Thanks for the review and letting us know about the wiring issues.
Have you had time to check to see if it actually works and ACORN reads it's output?

Here is a breakout with the correct, usable securing screws:
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-signals- ... 9+Breakout
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Re: OMRON E6B2-CWZ1X Encoder-Part 2 Does it Chooch? :-)

For those on the edge of your seats. :lol:
In the words of YouTuber AvE, "Will it Chooch?"

https://youtu.be/S5kC3wLeNCs
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Re: OMRON E6B2-CWZ1X Part 3?

Yep, I pulled the cover off to take a peek at the inside of the encoder. I also got a message from the Ebay seller.
See what surprising info I got out of our discussion...
https://youtu.be/OI-4-1K2q_A
Mesa, AZ
Fredsan

Post by Fredsan »

Thanks for the great videos, good to see the encoder works.

The inside of the encoder (you showed us) looks better than expected, solderings seems to be neat and clean.

Today I also received the encoders from 2 different e-bay sellers. The 'Omron' box looks the same like the one you received, only the LOT no is different for both encoders. I received LOT no: 20917M. Both encoders look identical, and also have yellow wires instead of orange.

Until you showed the correspondence of the e-bay seller, I still had a little hope :oops: ..... I expect all the fake encoders come from the same factory.

I will use the encoder only to monitor the spindle speed, I do not have a machine that is able to do tapping. Let's see how long it takes until the bearing breaks down. The bearing is branded NMB, but I would be surprised if it is genuine.
martyscncgarage

Fredsan wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:26 pm Thanks for the great videos, good to see the encoder works.

The inside of the encoder (you showed us) looks better than expected, solderings seems to be neat and clean.

Today I also received the encoders from 2 different e-bay sellers. The 'Omron' box looks the same like the one you received, only the LOT no is different for both encoders. I received LOT no: 20917M. Both encoders look identical, and also have yellow wires instead of orange.

Until you showed the correspondence of the e-bay seller, I still had a little hope :oops: ..... I expect all the fake encoders come from the same factory.

I will use the encoder only to monitor the spindle speed, I do not have a machine that is able to do tapping. Let's see how long it takes until the bearing breaks down. The bearing is branded NMB, but I would be surprised if it is genuine.
Fredsan, you have a perfect application to test the unit. It does look good inside. It may well be the best deal of the Century. Fit it up, and then if you have one of those hand held digital tachs (another Chinese bargain?) to compare accuracy, that might be interesting to see if they are close.

Keep us posted! Plow ahead.....
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Fredsan

Post by Fredsan »

I only have to find a way to mount the encoder on my machine. I run a small Optimum BF20L mill in the attic. I replaced the origional motor with a Sangmutan BLDC motor, also from China, running very well the last 1.5 years, and I installed a belt drive from desktopprecision. I run the machine in high gear. So the only way to install the encoder is to use the lower part of the pulley. Now I have to find the same size pulley for the encoder, and make a bracket to mount the encoder. That shouldn't take too long.

I will post the progress on the forum.
francoCNC
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC39D321-0822170083

Post by francoCNC »

Fredsan wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:49 pm I only have to find a way to mount the encoder on my machine. I run a small Optimum BF20L mill in the attic. I replaced the origional motor with a Sangmutan BLDC motor, also from China, running very well the last 1.5 years, and I installed a belt drive from desktopprecision. I run the machine in high gear. So the only way to install the encoder is to use the lower part of the pulley. Now I have to find the same size pulley for the encoder, and make a bracket to mount the encoder. That shouldn't take too long.

I will post the progress on the forum.
I have a similar mill (PM-25MV). My motor has a short shaft sticking out the top of the motor that drives a cooling fan. I think I can connect the encoder there. If it works out, I'll post images.