Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

De-Mach'ing my ORAC.

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

I figured it was time to post a couple pics to get a fire lit under my tail and get this project moving. First pic is what the oft-massaged control tray looked like before the grand de-Mach'ing ceremony began. Plan A was to disturb the minimum amount possible to get the Acorn running so that it could still be switched back quickly if I needed it to do some money making parts. After a glass of wine last night, I l grew a pair & just snatched out the unneeded stuff to make room for the new.

The second pic is where it stands now with all the good stuff located in its new home & firmly mounted. I have no idea where all those funny little colored wires go. :shock: Can you do one of your really cool instructional videos that shows me where to put them Marty? This afternoon please. :lol:
Attachments
ORAC Acorn Pre Teardown.jpg
ORAC Acorn Pre Wired.jpg
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: De-Mach'ing my ORAC.

Post by martyscncgarage »

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:50 pm I figured it was time to post a couple pics to get a fire lit under my tail and get this project moving. First pic is what the oft-massaged control tray looked like before the grand de-Mach'ing ceremony began. Plan A was to disturb the minimum amount possible to get the Acorn running so that it could still be switched back quickly if I needed it to do some money making parts. After a glass of wine last night, I l grew a pair & just snatched out the unneeded stuff to make room for the new.

The second pic is where it stands now with all the good stuff located in its new home & firmly mounted. I have no idea where all those funny little colored wires go. :shock: Can you do one of your really cool instructional videos that shows me where to put them Marty? This afternoon please. :lol:
Ummm. No. Download the schematics. Get going.... :lol:
Want to see this thing run!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

I have most of the new stuff wired up & it all seems to be working OK but now I need to setup the PLC in CNC12. I've looked at a bunch of videos and the Acorn manual but I can't seem to find anything that I feel comfortable with. I'm back at my day job today and away from the CNCPC to look at the Wizard & am wanting to learn as much as possible before hitting the workshop for some serious Acorn hugging tonight. Does anyone have a link to a favorite video or .pdf that describes the setup process? I'll be "building" a PLC for a couple DM542's, X-home, Z-home, cutting oil pump, CC/CCW spindle, etc.

martyscncgarage

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:05 pm I have most of the new stuff wired up & it all seems to be working OK but now I need to setup the PLC in CNC12. I've looked at a bunch of videos and the Acorn manual but I can't seem to find anything that I feel comfortable with. I'm back at my day job today and away from the CNCPC to look at the Wizard & am wanting to learn as much as possible before hitting the workshop for some serious Acorn hugging tonight. Does anyone have a link to a favorite video or .pdf that describes the setup process? I'll be "building" a PLC for a couple DM542's, X-home, Z-home, cutting oil pump, CC/CCW spindle, etc.
Milton, what specifically do you need a PLC for? The tool changer on your Orac lathe? Its done. I believe the next software rev will have it in there.
OR??

Marty
Mesa, AZ
DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:40 pmMilton, what specifically do you need a PLC for?
Just the normal software config to allow the Acorn inputs & outputs to do to their assigned duties in the machine's hardware; nothing special. It may be self explanatory in the CNC12 Wizard when I get in to it later.

DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

I have opto sensor units for X & Y homing on the ORAC. They have a 5vdc supply, ground and a signal that changes state as the sensor is covered/uncovered. They worked perfectly with Mach3 which "looked" at the signal through the parallel port. I have the 5v supply & ground connected and am ready to connect the signal wire to Acorn.

Ignant question du jour: Does the signal need to go through input pin 10, 11, 12, 13 or 15 on the H6 connector or is it OK to just connect it to any available input on the H4? I don't want to fry my opto units with 24V.

martyscncgarage

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:05 pm I have opto sensor units for X & Y homing on the ORAC. They have a 5vdc supply, ground and a signal that changes state as the sensor is covered/uncovered. They worked perfectly with Mach3 which "looked" at the signal through the parallel port. I have the 5v supply & ground connected and am ready to connect the signal wire to Acorn.

Ignant question du jour: Does the signal need to go through input pin 10, 11, 12, 13 or 15 on the H6 connector or is it OK to just connect it to any available input on the H4? I don't want to fry my opto units with 24V.
Hold that thought.
Remember, we still have a DB25. It essentially behaves like the parallel port. Get a DB25M breakout board and plug it in. Like this one:
http://r.ebay.com/E9O0sC
Let me double check with the guys on its signals first though.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Thanks Marty, I'm a-holdin'. I had already cobbled my own DB25 adapter to plug in to the H6 port and was ready to hook the signal lead up to it. I was just unsure if it's really necessary to go that route & would rather hook it up without going through the DB25. We'll wait & see what the experts say.

DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

After further RTFM'ing, it appears I will need to connect through the H6 DB25 if I want to keep my 5v sensors or throw them out & change to 24v NPN opto-sensors. Yes?

martyscncgarage

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:07 am After further RTFM'ing, it appears I will need to connect through the H6 DB25 if I want to keep my 5v sensors or throw them out & change to 24v NPN opto-sensors. Yes?
No, I spoke with Keith today. He suggested using a dropping resistor on the 24VDC feeding the inputs, to drop to 5VDC.

Doing anything with the DB25 is proceeding at your own risk. Being the daring fellow that I am, I will likely tinker with it eventually. I just have far too much on my plate currently.

Marty
Mesa, AZ