Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Techno Isel Lathe-throwing my hat in the ring

Post by Fig »

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie, so be gentle. I recently won an online auction for a Techno Isel. I haven't collected it yet, but their website states it has servo motors. Has anyone used the Acorn with servos? I'm just curious how that is put together. I see Centroid has one on YouTube but it has steppers. I'd like to use the Acorn set up. Looks somewhat simple, to my untrained eye, compared to trying to build something to work with Mach 3 or 4.
I'll be going to pick it up Friday, so I'll be able to verify what exactly is there. It isn't complete so hopefully it hasn't had too much picked off of it.

Well thats my plan. Hopefully I won't wear out your patience with my elementary questions. I'm looking forward to this challenge.
Fig
Springfield, Illinois
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Techno Isel Lathe-throwing my hat in the ring

Post by cnckeith »

Acorn can run any AC or DC servo motor drive package that accepts step and direction input.
as an example: Many Acorn customers are using the Teknic Clearpath AC servos with great success.

if you want to retain the DC servos on the techno you have two choices. Use a Centroid Allin1DC cnc controller which has digital DC servo drives built into it, this allows the Centroid Allin1DC to directly drive the existing DC servo motors. . or use a set of DC drives that accept step and direction like the ones that Geckodrive sells and command those drives with an Acorn CNC control board.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Fig
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Fig »

I'll have to see what kind of DC servos it has if, in fact, they are DC servos.

I'm on a limited budget. This is merely a hobby machine, so the All in One and Oak are a bit out of my price range.

However, if I have to purchase several other items to make these servos work it might equate to the price of the Oak. I'll find out more tomorrow when I can see what I have.

Thanks

Fig
Springfield, Illinois
Fig

Post by Fig »

I got it home. Haven't unloaded it. It does indeed have servo motors. It looks like I need to figure out the best and cheapest direction to go.
Springfield, Illinois
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes

Post by frijoli »

Fig wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:46 pm I got it home. Haven't unloaded it. It does indeed have servo motors. It looks like I need to figure out the best and cheapest direction to go.
The motors aren't as big of a concern as the drives. Figure out if they are ac or dc servos, and look for the appropriate step and direction drives.
Good luck and document the unboxing.
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

Fig wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:46 pm I got it home. Haven't unloaded it. It does indeed have servo motors. It looks like I need to figure out the best and cheapest direction to go.
What size is the machine? Post pictures of the servo motors and any information or pictures of the labels.
I understand that AIO DC can be out of the price range of the hobbyist.

Acorn is an EXCELLENT alternative! I suggest you look at Teknic's Clearpath SDSK servo brushless servo motors. They take step and direction signals and are compatible with Acorn. They seem to have great tuning software loaded with features, so they seem like a natural for a hobbyist to work.

Head UP to the Acorn forum, lots of DIYers up there, lots of pictures and videos too. Post pictures of your machine and ask for advice. Dig in, learn and have fun!

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Fig

Post by Fig »

Marty, it's a Techno Isel 9x20. I suspect it's an Asian base converted to cnc. It is basically the same one Centroid converted and they have a few demonstrations on YouTube.

I just sold my Enco 9x20 to fund this project. The bidding on this went a bit higher then I anticipated, eating up much of my budget. I was determined to have it, though. Getting it going might take a bit longer as funds become available, or I may get impatient and hit the savings account.... Lol.
IMG_20171104_135807.jpg
IMG_20171104_135750.jpg
IMG_20171104_135726.jpg
IMG_20171104_140455.jpg
Springfield, Illinois
martyscncgarage

Fig wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:23 pm Marty, it's a Techno Isel 9x20. I suspect it's an Asian base converted to cnc. It is basically the same one Centroid converted and they have a few demonstrations on YouTube.

I just sold my Enco 9x20 to fund this project. The bidding on this went a bit higher then I anticipated, eating up much of my budget. I was determined to have it, though. Getting it going might take a bit longer as funds become available, or I may get impatient and hit the savings account.... Lol.IMG_20171104_135807.jpg
Very nice. You have a LENZE VFD, don't need to buy that. Looks like there is a spindle encoder on it already. Get the make and model number off of that. Take a picture of the encoder/belt drive and post.

You *COULD* use Gecko G320X possibly to drive those servos. They take step and direction inputs from Acorn just fine. Likely user the encoders ok as well. Just need to find the specs on your servo motors and the encoders on them. Retain the toroidal power supply. I think I would explore that route first. I think it would be the least expensive, could reuse the servos and possibly their encoders, not have to swap them out. Everything you might need is right in the control cabinet!

Geckodrive G320X:
http://www.geckodrive.com/geckodrive-br ... g320x.html
Mesa, AZ
Fig

Post by Fig »

A few more pics.. .. Im afraid I'm not sure where the drivers are. If someone could point them out I'd appreciate it. I suspect they are on that circuit panel, but I'm not positive. Or are they incorporated into the servos?
IMG_20171104_140548.jpg
IMG_20171104_140600.jpg
IMG_20171104_140612.jpg
IMG_20171104_140622.jpg
Springfield, Illinois
martyscncgarage

Follow the cables from the Servo motors, see where they are connected...likely integrated on to the board. I bet the cables go right to that big aluminum heat sink on the main board.

Nice machine. See my previous reply.

I would use Acorn and G320X servo drives if at all possible. That will be one nice machine.

If you go Acorn, we need to move this thread UP to the Acorn forum.

Marty
Mesa, AZ