DRO Readout Not What I Would Expect (explained)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

762x51
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC56DD75-0605170063 , 985DAD4295CF-0928170127 , 38D2694E4703-1222170401
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

DRO Readout Not What I Would Expect (explained)

Post by 762x51 »

I was trying to get more familiar with CNC12 and noticed the DRO readings were not as I expected.
Here is the CNC Wizard Axis Configuration page showing how I set the mm/turn.
It's set to 4 mm as that is the spec on the ball screws in the Techno-Isel router that I'm upgrading to ACORN.

and here is the page if you change to Imperial (Inches) and the setting of 6.35 turns per inch matches 4 mm/turn.

After saving this to the Acorn, the first thing I did was reset the home position so the DRO would be starting the XY&Z axis at 0.000

Now here is the strange reading I get if I have the motion control set at X1 and I tap the axis move button once:

What in the dickens is going on here folks?
Notice how each axis has a different reading and I would have thought the reading should be 0.001.

So what am I doing wrong?
Last edited by 762x51 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reedfirst
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: DRO Readout Not What I Would Expect

Post by Reedfirst »

I noticed that the incremental button is not lit up on your virtual control panel where you are showing the dro movement result.

Could that be your problem?
MecTechMike

Post by MecTechMike »

Unless you are in incremental mode, the jog will move for the perceived duration of your mouse click, which is quantized by Windows and therefore can be rather arbitrary. Use the incremental mode to jog for better precision.

For the best precision, go to the MDI menu and type your intended coordinates directly. For example, "X0.001y0.001z0.001". This will put you exactly at that point according to the programmed turns ratio and lash. By do it this way you can hone in on your actual turns/lash for your screws.

Hope this helps.

Mike
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

please select incremental jogging mode by pressing the INC/CONT button on the VCP (Virtual Control Panel)
then every time you press a jog key it will move exactly the amount set in parameter 40 (in inches or mm) every time you press a jog key.
fast or slow as well depending on if you have fast or slow selected.

Also please update to the latest CNC12 version v4.08 here is the link. http://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy ... loads.html
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html