Centroid_Liviu
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: encoder suitability

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

The spec sheet on that encoder does not give the signal type. You need a differential quadrature encoder, typically listed as A, A/, B, B/, Z, Z/ (sometimes the 3rd channel is listed as I, I/ but its the same thing).

Please see this thread for a detailed explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=921
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

this pdf covers the entire E6B2-C Omron line up, they make different versions of this model.. some of the models would not work and some would.
the type of encoder you want is a , 5 volt TTL encoder with A/A- , B/B- and Z/Z- channel, Incremental Quadrature Differential Encoder, 2000 Line (ppr) (or higher). that would be the E6B2-CWZ1X 2000 P/R model on this PDF.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
midy
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by midy »

thanks Keith, exactly what I was after..
cheers
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

midy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:05 pm could anybody please confirm if this encoder will be suitable? eBay item number:172623609462

OMRON Rotary Encoder Incremental E6B2-CWZ6C
E6B2-CWZ6C IS NOT COMPATIBLE
E6B2-CWZ1X may be, because it has the required LINE DRIVER OUTPUT. I have not tested it. So I will not say it will work for sure. (though I just ordered one from CHINA to test but yup, shipping might take several weeks) http://r.ebay.com/OpwkLX

Cut sheet for the 2000 line line driver encoder: https://www.ia.omron.com/product/item/2391/
The Encoder must be INCREMENTAL LINE DRIVER OUTPUT.

Guys, if you don't read and follow the encoder requirements, for the sake of saving a BUCK, you may either be disappointed that you wasted your money OR you may damage Acorn. $265 in the toilet to save $50....

You have a real Industrial controller, with a REAL industrial Encoder port on it, that requires a REAL encoder.
Last edited by martyscncgarage on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

midy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:05 pm could anybody please confirm if this encoder will be suitable? eBay item number:172623609462

OMRON Rotary Encoder Incremental E6B2-CWZ6C
E6B2-CWZ6C is NOT compatible it has an NPN output NOT a Line Driver Output
Here is the comparison chart: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/307/e6b2-c_d ... 597308.pdf
See output configuration on page 2.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
midy

Post by midy »

good call marty, i've ordered one too, when you say you could fry the acorn, is there a way to test the enocoders suitability before connecting to acorn?
martyscncgarage

midy wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:45 am good call marty, i've ordered one too, when you say you could fry the acorn, is there a way to test the enocoders suitability before connecting to acorn?
Did you order from the seller I did? When I asked about shipping and if the item was Genuine Omron, they emailed back and said sorry, we made a mistake and said they don't have any in stock. :shock: Not surprising. So they cancelled my order. I ordered from another Chinese seller, and changed the link in my post. I messaged them and asked them the same thing.....The part number is correct. The legitimacy of the item is questionable.
Again, pennywise pound foolish, if too good to be true, it probably IS......I'll report back with what this other seller says.

Unless you are an experienced electronics bench technician with an Oscilloscope, no easy way to check it. You need to check the square wave signals from each channel, and there are 6 of them....

Chinese stuff is hit and miss. Bad habit of we hobbyists is being too thrifty, we are very stubborn!..."Cry once, buy once"
Mesa, AZ
midy

Post by midy »

the seller i ordered from is called '"queen's land"

you got me thinking now, don't want to risk the acorn for saving a few quid
martyscncgarage

midy wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:55 am the seller i ordered from is called '"queen's land"

you got me thinking now, don't want to risk the acorn for saving a few quid
Go check see if the listing is still up. Message the seller and ask what happened. See how they respond....go back to my post above and that seller has sold a number of them....doesn't make them legitimate, but that they had them.

I'm going to try and get one...test it and report back...to save others the grief or question of whether or not the Chinese units will work. If these guys cancel me, I will report back and recommend users not purchase them from China.

Automationdirect.com OR Centroid are the go to sources for legitimate encoders. Keith aint gonn reguritate this information.
We just have to stop being stubborn and buy the real deal.....
Mesa, AZ
midy

Post by midy »

yes the advert is still up and i've been given the usual 6 week delivery window! So how do i test it when /if it arrives?