Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 30E283DF4605-0126225588
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Help with mfunc6.mac setup

Post by Blades »

I'm trying to set up the mfunc6.mac on my machine, and I've managed to get it functioning for the most part.
One thing that I stumbled on is the location of the fixed-position TT. I set this in the wizard (see attached pic), but it totally ignored this and kept going to home position instead of my specified position. It wasn't until I set G30 (Return #2) and set this, that the machine actually went to the correct fixed TT position. So the question here is: what good is the Wizard in this case, if it ignores my specified fixed TT position? Shouldn't the wizard have updated the G30 parameter? See attached image for wizard setting.

Second question: What parameter do I need to adjust to change the fast/slow TT speeds as addressed by m6? Here again, my Auto Z to Plate command utilizes my speeds I have set in the wizard probe settings, but ignored in the m6 macro.

Edit: the m6 macro I'm using came from this page (#4):
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic. ... _IB_xEJ8lP
Attachments
report_30E283DF4605-0126225588_2024-05-12_20-37-46.zip
Freshly saved report
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Image of wizard settings for TT
Image of wizard settings for TT
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: Help with mfunc6.mac setup

Post by ShawnM »

Those macros in that topic you reference were written LONG before the Wizard included ANY tool touch locations or speeds for tool touch off. You are comparing apples to basketballs. :mrgreen: Those macros used G30 and the speeds for touching off are set in the macro, not in the wizard.

When you reference "page 4" you'll need to link the exact post as some of us order our topics and posts in a descending order so the newest is first and not last. So page 4 for me is not the same as page 4 for you. (and possibly others who use descending order)
Blades
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Blades »

Thanks Shawn, perhaps I created some ambiguity in my wording when I referenced that thread. It's the very first page of the thread I linked to (the link should take you directly to that page), and there you'll see 5 different versions of mfunc6.mac, and I was working with #4 from that page. BTW, this particular post was created by diycncScott on 2/2028 and was updated by Keith in Feb of this year.

So what you're saying is that I was originally on the right track and my wizard *should have* worked as intuitively expected. But it did not until I set up G30 and ran m6 from MDI. To further expand, are you saying that I shouldn't even need the m6 macro? Oddly, it did disappear like 3 times from my cncm folder after I copied it there.

So now the question becomes WHY didn't my wizard settings seem to take, and what do I need to change to get the functionality I'm looking for when I click on the 'Auto Z to Plate' button? It only runs a very straightforward TT operation from the machine's current position. This has been just fine all along, but now I'm looking to unlock expanded functionality of that button. How do I address this based on if my Z measurement is an initial reference Z measurement from the first tool, vs. a subsequent tool change?

I'm running a CNC router with a collet spindle, so I'm not utilizing the tool offset library. I always set Z zero on top of my workpiece, and I want subsequent tool changes to utilize the fixed-position TT device. Additionally, I tend to program my parts with 1 tool per program. As such, there's not tool changes in my programs.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Now we are just spinning our wheels here, you said it yourself, "there's not tool changes in my programs". So this means there's no call for a M6 macro therefore no need for a M6 macro and no need for a fixed tool touch off. Posting each tool as a "job" defeats the purpose of what you are trying to accomplish.

All you need to do is setup is the tool touch off configuration wizard page and use your movable tool touch off with the "auto z to plate" button.

Until you decide to post the job as a single "job" with say 4 tool changes you don't need a M6 macro or a fixed tool touch off.

And it's not "odd" that the M6 you created disappeared as the software is designed to overwrite the M6 unless you tell it not to in the wizard.

And back to a M6 macro from that topic you posted, the new wizard settings WILL NOT edit or update a M6 macro that you copied over from that topic. Those macros were written LONG BEFORE there were wizard pages for tool changes. So unfortunately no, you were not on the right track and your wizard changes "would NOT have" worked.

The auto z to plate button is all you need given the way you post process your files. There is no "unlocking" any expanded functionality of that button, it performs a single task. Until you decide to post process your jobs differently you don't need a M6 macro as there's no call for one.
Blades

Post by Blades »

And now you're just limiting the available functionality of the program by presuming how I should be processing jobs and measuring tool lengths. When I do launch m6 from MDI, it does exactly what I want it to do (aside from the unreasonably slow probing rates).

Just because I'm not processing tool changes within a job doesn't mean I don't want to utilize the functionality of a fixed position TT for subsequent tool changes. This is operational preference. On one job in particular, I use 2 tools: a 1/8" end mill and a chamfer bit. Due to the nature of the material I'm cutting (HDPE), I can load in a new piece without having to change tools. I can fire right into it with the chamfer bit, then change to the 1/8" end mill for holes & part cutout. If I ran this program with tool changes, I would be changing tools every time I restarted the program, and that is not necessary.

So now that you have established that there is in fact a difference between M6 and the wizard, how do I adjust the fast/slow probing rates?

I will continue to utilize the Wizard's Auto Z to Plate button for single-tool jobs, but apparently will utilize M6 for jobs that require more than 1 tool.

And this still doesn't address WHY there's an input area in the Wizard for a fixed-position TT device.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I guess everyone has their own way of doing things although they are not always conventional. Whatever works for you works for you. We all have our own workflow. If you use two tools for the job you described don't you use the chamfer tool first and then the end mill second? When you change out the material don't you start again with the chamfer tool 1 and then switch to the end mill 2. That would mean switching tools. I'm a bit confused unless you do all tool path one on a bunch of parts and then come back and do tool path 2.

My small router for cutting aluminum and HDPE is also like yours, with a collet and I do not use the tool library. I process all my tool paths in Vectric as one job and my M6 is semi automatic. There are no menus or prompts in my M6 for me to "select an option" for anything, I simply don't need those. It touches off the first tool on the spoilboard with the movable tool touch off, then automatically moves to the fixed tool touch off to measure the offset and it starts cutting. When that tool path is complete the router moves to the tool change location I have set in my M6, I change the tool and press cycle start, that's it. It then moves to the fixed tool touch off to measure the second tool, adjust the Z0 for the new tool and goes right back to cutting. No other interaction or input from me is needed. My custom M6 has a variable in it to know that it is now past the first tool change and then skips unneeded code that is only used for the first tool. It speeds things up immensely.

Since I cant see your particular M6 I'm not sure how it selects the probe rate. When some of those M6's were written that you reference they grabbed the fast and slow probe rates set in the old wizard pages. Some were set directly in the macro by the author of that macro. I do not know if the variables have changed with the new version of CNC12. You also set your probe rates in the NEW wizard on the probe configuration page but if the variable or parameter number has changed with the new version of CNC12 the macro wont work properly. BUT, if the variables and/or parameter numbers are the same then your M6 will use those probe rates you set in the wizard. Make sense? If you read through your M6 code you'll see where it sets the fast and slow probing rates and you can then determine what variable, if any, that it is using and edit the macro accordingly.

The fixed tool location in the wizard is for when you setup the ATC functionality of the software. But since you don't have an ATC it is not relevant to you or your particular M6. If you had an ATC then the software would automatically create the M6 for you based on your tool locations that you setup in the wizard and also the location of your fixed tool touch off you set in the wizard. Hopefully this will clear up some confusion as to why you cannot use the wizard settings for your M6 without an ATC. Hopefully you now understand what the fixed tool location in the wizard is for.
Blades

Post by Blades »

"I guess everyone has their own way of doing things although they are not always conventional."
True that! My reasons are varied, but I want to become familiar with using a fixed-position TT device. In my previous example it will not save an appreciable amount of time, but ultimately be more convenient & save perhaps moments.

On my HDPE example, I'm cutting out address sign blanks from a 12" x 24" sheet. The pic only shows the primary fixture with a finished blank on it.

The 'normal' workflow (whether with a program tool change or running 2 separate programs) would be to first cut the outer profile & put in the 6 holes with the 1/8" end mill. Then the secondary operation would be to change tools & use the chamfer bit to chamfer the outer profile, and create the c'sinks in the holes. But due to how soft & clean this material machines, I can actually run the chamfer bit first in a 'new' blank, then use the 1/8" end mill for cutout & holes (opposite of conventional processing). Then on the next 'new' blank, the 1/8" end mill is already in place, so it's wash-rinse-repeat where each tool change runs on 2 parts. I ran perhaps a dozen of these blanks before I decided to try not changing tools when starting a new blank.

Ok, so that is starting to make more sense with regards to the Wizard settings relating to ATC. And since ATC is not realistically applicable on my small machine (as cool as that would be), I will ignore those settings.

BTW Shaun, your M6 routine sounds like something I would like to give a try. Care to share that?
Attachments
PXL_20240513_160222154.jpg
Last edited by Blades on Mon May 13, 2024 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Got it, makes sense now. I also cut a lot of color core HDPE for signage and love how it machines.
Blades

Post by Blades »

Yes, the stuff is a dream to machine. On the fixture shown, it's on the 'blank' side of the fixture (made from Corian). I have other secondary components to use in conjunction with the primary fixture for this operation to help locate & hold the sheet material.

When it comes to cutting the numbers, I flip that fixture over and it nests the blanks. I use a 1/8" end mill for the numbers (cut .080" deep), then go around them with the chamfer bit for a really clean look.

ColorCore is probably my favorite material to work with, it cuts so nice and is a breeze to clean up. I will cut aluminum jobs and my machine handles it beautifully, but the mess when using cutting fluid does not make it a great experience.

You may have missed it since I added it as an edit, but I would be interested in your M6 macro if you would care to share it. At some point, I may convert this program to a more conventional process that includes a tool change. I don't think I require the level of interaction required with the M6 file I downloaded.