Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Tool Change Macro Help

Post by cnckeith »

Measurement10 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:45 pm Ok, i think i got it. I realized that although you set up the part initially and set Z0 using the initial tool, the initial tool still needs to be touched off using the tool setter (unless im wrong about this).
sounds like you are mixing setting tool height with part zeros
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Measurement10
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Measurement10 »

I read your tool height measurement paper and its exactly how i've been thinking of this problem. It also doesn't really help me any further.

Were you able to look at my macro file? Is there anything wrong that would explain why i have to touch off the 1st tool after setting part Z0 in the part setup? Or is this just the way its done due to the constraints of the workflow? Fixed, see below.
Last edited by Measurement10 on Fri May 03, 2024 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

You can use any tool to set your WCS Z0 as long as you ALSO have that tool's height offset active as well. If you just load the tool and not the offset, or you don't load the tool at all, then your part offset will be wrong.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Measurement10

Post by Measurement10 »

I was able to get it to work properly, no need to remeasure Tool 1 (same tool used for setting part offsets). I think it had something to do with the macro and G54. Copied the subsequent tool change macro and used it instead. No need to reset Tool 1 anymore. Thanks guys.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Measurement10 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:43 pm ..... Centroid is not very helpful in getting one "up and running" in this regard. Its up to the customer to sift through long and complicated manuals and ultimately trial and error.
Centroid could not possibly include a generic M6 for what you want to do. Why? Because no two machines will be the same. So yes, it's sort of trial and error because your machine is not like anyone else's machine. You of course could pay someone or Centroid to write you a fully custom macro for your machine but there's no reason to do that either.

This topic should answer all the questions you have and there are several M6 macros given as examples that will help you customize a M6 for your machine. If the answer to your questions are not covered in this lengthy topic I'm not sure what else I can tell you.

https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=9150#p9150

My custom M6 that I created for my router does sort of what you want to do but it's way more automatic as I post all my tool paths into one file and my tool changes are fast and efficient and require me to only press cycle start once after a tool change. It does not ask me any questions during a tool change. My M6 does require a touch off on my fixed tool touch off after I set part Z0 with my movable touch plate for tool 1. This stores the offset of tool 1 and then applies this offset to the next tool I insert. When tool 1 is finished it moves to a defined tool change location and tells me to insert tool 2 and when it's loaded to simply press cycles start to continue. It moves to the fix touch off, measures tool 2 and starts cutting again. No questions asked from the macro and no wasted moves around the table.

Hopefully this topic I posted above and the macro manual link below will help you customize a M6 for your specific machine and work flow.

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... amming.pdf
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

There's probably no need to run 100 lines of parameter checking code at every tool change. Normally, once you have your tool setter and probe set up, you never change that again.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

tblough wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:37 am There's probably no need to run 100 lines of parameter checking code at every tool change. Normally, once you have your tool setter and probe set up, you never change that again.
Jep KISS is the rule :D

Uwe
Measurement10

Post by Measurement10 »

ShawnM wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:11 pm Centroid could not possibly include a generic M6 for what you want to do. Why? Because no two machines will be the same. So yes, it's sort of trial and error because your machine is not like anyone else's machine. You of course could pay someone or Centroid to write you a fully custom macro for your machine but there's no reason to do that either.
I agree. As someone who runs multiple acorns the only thing i would prefer is if they included 1-2 hours of centroid tech support with the purchase. The forum based support is ok for most things but not ideal for digging into the weeds, something like this.
This topic should answer all the questions you have and there are several M6 macros given as examples that will help you customize a M6 for your machine. If the answer to your questions are not covered in this lengthy topic I'm not sure what else I can tell you.
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=9150#p9150
That was the first thread i reviewed. I used examples from there and the macro guide to build it, eventually successfully.
My custom M6 that I created for my router does sort of what you want to do but it's way more automatic as I post all my tool paths into one file and my tool changes are fast and efficient and require me to only press cycle start once after a tool change. It does not ask me any questions during a tool change. My M6 does require a touch off on my fixed tool touch off after I set part Z0 with my movable touch plate for tool 1. This stores the offset of tool 1 and then applies this offset to the next tool I insert. When tool 1 is finished it moves to a defined tool change location and tells me to insert tool 2 and when it's loaded to simply press cycles start to continue. It moves to the fix touch off, measures tool 2 and starts cutting again. No questions asked from the macro and no wasted moves around the table.
No prompts would speed things up, however as i mentioned i need a way to set a fly cutter. Due to the offset tip the easiest way to do this is with a prompt and manual movement. I guess if you really wanted to optimize you could program the macro to limit manual probing to the flycutter only (fixed tool number), but not worth the effort right now. I think eventually i will move to shrink rings around the tools, once i get my lathe running so i can skip all the time wasted on measuring every tool change. This way i can truly utilize their tool offset library- which is well implemented.

I love Centroid Acorn, im more than pleased. But being a weirdo im always thinking of ways to optimize. Would be great if they did what i mentioned above, huge benefit to customers who sometimes need a little hand holding. I already know they are customer focused, just trying to improve an already freaking awesome product and company.
Last edited by Measurement10 on Sat May 04, 2024 12:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Measurement10

Post by Measurement10 »

tblough wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:37 am There's probably no need to run 100 lines of parameter checking code at every tool change. Normally, once you have your tool setter and probe set up, you never change that again.
Are you referring to my macro? The opening 100 lines? If so I guess you are correct, once it works no need to have that all in there...