Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Tool touch off and probe help needed

Post by suntravel »

If you want to finetune rev/in use a distance of minimum 1", better more.

With only 0.1 result will be more effected by stick/slip and backlash.

Voltage will have no influence on the setp rate, but use the highest allowed voltage for maximum torque.

Uwe
gregfox
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by gregfox »

silver2row wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:59 am Snipping tool will work...

Also and first off, I am a new machinist. I know little but understand how to convey messages almost well some of the time.

If the Control P from your keyboard does nothing...

1. Try the snipping tool
2. Open up the "start" menu in Win 10/11
3. Click on the "snipping tool" and use it for a photo type shot and/or video

Also...if you would like, try to look over "NO may not work" in many ideas revolving around the Acorn. I think you will need NC switches, end stops, and other hardware that are normally closed. Also, if you try to "limitall" or "homeall" in your Wizard set up, what happens? Does it do as you would expect outside of the NO not working.

Oh! One thing people got on me about so far was the idea of photos and videos being posted to photos.google.com instead of this site. It may make it easier and lesser on the heavy side for this forum holder to handle...data.

Seth

P.S. If "Control P" does not print to pdf or if Control P does print to pdf, maybe they will be found in a search or wherever print to pdf files are saved by default.

The reasons I type all this out is to help a bit. Like I say, "I am new to machining," but I have used machines without knowing how much work actually goes into making, building, and using them. That is sort of where I am at now. Just learning and trying to understand different machines in general is a fun task (mostly). Enjoy!
Thanks for all that Seth I appreciate all the help I have been running a 5 axis for 3 years and love it but very stressful. I'm new to the building them as well, so much to learn.
gregfox

Post by gregfox »

suntravel wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:24 am If you want to finetune rev/in use a distance of minimum 1", better more.

With only 0.1 result will be more effected by stick/slip and backlash.

Voltage will have no influence on the setp rate, but use the highest allowed voltage for maximum torque.

Uwe
Do you know what could cause it to be12.7 and 8 instead of 5?
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

Usually the Dir/Rev of the steppers is not matching to CNC12.

To test set 5.08 in the wizard for the 5mm ballscrew, unmount the stepper and let the axis move 1/5,08=0,1968"
If the stepper is not exactly turning 1 rev, something is not set up right.

Uwe
OG1
CNC Control System Serial Number: 544538046067-0616237327

Post by OG1 »

@gregfox - I have the exact same setup as you literally everything below lol. I am confused as to what you are trying to do, I may want to change my methods to what you are doing.

The way I do mine is to use a 2" face tool as a reference master tool and the tool setter in auto mode for all the other tools then when I get to the probe I set that manually since the probe is more sensitive than the setter, it will fire before it reaches the tool setter zero so I use a manual tool setter and the master tool with that, after setting zero, I hold it down to lock and see on the indicator it is not moving and then set my probe to zero then once again set my master tool to the original auto tool setter for any new tools or tool changes.
gregfox wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:06 pm Ok so i have a pm 728vt Mill.
----------------------------------
-X and Y axis have STEPPERONLINE High Torque Nema 23 CNC Stepper Motor 114mm 425oz.in/3Nm CNC Mill Lathe Router and TB6600 Driver ST4045

Here:
https://amzn.to/4b8Vszo
and
https://amzn.to/4dlTe1p
-Z axis has a Nema 34 Stepper Motor 6A 12Nm (1700 oz-in) 156mm Length for CNC Router Mill Lathe with STEPPERONLINE CNC Digital Stepper Motor Driver 2.4-7.2A 18-80VAC or 36-110VDC for Nema 34 and 42 Motor DM860T

Here:
https://amzn.to/4aYWHRS
and
https://amzn.to/4aUAEfh
-Probe is a PGFUN CNC 3D Touch Probe Upgraded XYZ Axis Anti-roll Edge Finder Waterproof 3 Coordinate Measuring Sensor Kit with 6mm Shank & 6.5 Ft Cable, Compatible with Mach3 (Edge Finder-NO)

Here: https://amzn.to/3JFzmIX
-Tool Touch off is a NC located

Here: https://amzn.to/3UGzUVx
Pictures(not very good, but) here's some:
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

gregfox wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:26 pm Ok I did the recommended steps for the stepper drivers and set them all to 3200 steps, does this look right for my configuration? I dialed it all in and this is what I got for the revs per inch. Not sure if it's correct but my machine travel ispretty much spot on with these settings
Please triple check the DIP switches on the stepper drives themselves. There are 8 DIP switches on your DM542T drives. There is a table printed on the drive and you need to follow that table and set the drives to 3200 also. In one of your pics it appears that all the DIP switches on one of your drives are set to off. That's certainly not correct.

You should have completed the bench test of your system before you crammed everything into that PC case, now everything is harder to fix.

You should be running those stepper drives with a 48 volt power supply. I see a 24 volt power supply so I'm not sure if you have a 48 volt supply or not. You are leaving half the speed and torque of those drives/motors "on the table" by using a 24 volt power supply. Always use the largest power supply the drive can handle when using stepper drives. Anything less you are just handicapping the system.
gregfox

Post by gregfox »

OG1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:35 pm @gregfox - I have the exact same setup as you literally everything below lol. I am confused as to what you are trying to do, I may want to change my methods to what you are doing.

The way I do mine is to use a 2" face tool as a reference master tool and the tool setter in auto mode for all the other tools then when I get to the probe I set that manually since the probe is more sensitive than the setter, it will fire before it reaches the tool setter zero so I use a manual tool setter and the master tool with that, after setting zero, I hold it down to lock and see on the indicator it is not moving and then set my probe to zero then once again set my master tool to the original auto tool setter for any new tools or tool changes.
NICE! I'm glad I'm not the only one, lol. Not sure how I didn't think of this that's a great idea! I am going to try this, this weekend. Thanks man!
gregfox

Post by gregfox »

ShawnM wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:51 pm
gregfox wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:26 pm Ok I did the recommended steps for the stepper drivers and set them all to 3200 steps, does this look right for my configuration? I dialed it all in and this is what I got for the revs per inch. Not sure if it's correct but my machine travel ispretty much spot on with these settings
Please triple check the DIP switches on the stepper drives themselves. There are 8 DIP switches on your DM542T drives. There is a table printed on the drive and you need to follow that table and set the drives to 3200 also. In one of your pics it appears that all the DIP switches on one of your drives are set to off. That's certainly not correct.

You should have completed the bench test of your system before you crammed everything into that PC case, now everything is harder to fix.

You should be running those stepper drives with a 48 volt power supply. I see a 24 volt power supply so I'm not sure if you have a 48 volt supply or not. You are leaving half the speed and torque of those drives/motors "on the table" by using a 24 volt power supply. Always use the largest power supply the drive can handle when using stepper drives. Anything less you are just handicapping the system.
Im using 2 24 volt psu's, one for each nema 23 and a 48 for the nema 34 it was recommended somewhere can't remember where. If you're right I will be getting 2 more 48 volts. Also, I did triple check the drivers are all set correctly to 3200, that picture was from the previous day when the steps were all out of whack. I'm going to check some more settings this weekend and will keep you guys updated.

As for the bench test, I half assed it in a rush like a dumb dumb trying to get it running as fast as possible which was a very bad decision I am realizing now that I have to redo some stuff I messed up, lol...
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

gregfox wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:49 pm Im using 2 24 volt psu's, one for each nema 23 and a 48 for the nema 34 it was recommended somewhere can't remember where. If you're right I will be getting 2 more 48 volts. Also, I did triple check the drivers are all set correctly to 3200, that picture was from the previous day when the steps were all out of whack. I'm going to check some more settings this weekend and will keep you guys updated.

As for the bench test, I half assed it in a rush like a dumb dumb trying to get it running as fast as possible which was a very bad decision I am realizing now that I have to redo some stuff I messed up, lol...
Hey dumb, dumb, slow down. :mrgreen:

It's like that old saying, "I dont have time to do it right but I have time to do it twice." Yes? :D

It should be printed right on the drive somewhere that they can handle ~18-50 volts (depending on the manufacturer). Using a 48 volt supply gives you 2 volts of headroom for back emf. You then limit the torque to the different motors using the same bank of DIP switches where you set the pulses/rev. I dont know what motors your have but you can look up their peak torque rating and set the drive accordingly.

Running the drive with half the rated power will only limit the speed and torque you get from the motors. Not sure why anyone would recommend this to you. Do your own homework or ask questions here. It'll save you time and money. :o
Nigelo
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA80C8B8-0905181172
E415F6F70BC3-0318203049
98F07B91FC6B-0123236802

Post by Nigelo »

From the Amazon links posted earlier in this thread Your X and Y axis are as follows:

STEPPERONLINE High Torque Nema 23 CNC Stepper Motor
Rated current 4.2A & resistance 0.9ohms (= nominal 3.78vdc)
Supposedly 36vdc

https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/nema- ... hs45-4204s
Shows Inductance as 3.8mH

Gecko Drive's formula for VMAX: 32 * √mH inductance
Therefore 32 * 1.94936 = 62vdc which is within 20 * nominal vdc

As Shawn states, 48vdc is what I would run on this unit. HOWEVER, the drive you have linked to has a MAX of 4.0amps and 42vdc which you should NOT exceed. Whatever voltage you decide to run, these Drives appear to be a mismatch to your motors which in extremis can draw more current than the drives can deliver risking damage. Suggest changing your drives accordingly. However, they are all Chinese so who knows!

Caveat: Do your own research as always
Hope this helps
Nigel

"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink"