CNC Control System Serial Number: 6665
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Lathe Work/CNC12 and Post Processing

Post by silver2row »

Hello,

I am wondering which software available can handle CNC12 Lathe for post processing...

I have this tiny, miniature lathe that I want to use for making small parts. I am new, i.e. as everyone can tell.

Seth

P.S. If someone uses a lathe and CNC12 Lathe source from Centroid, please jump in. I can use some input. I mean, do I need additional source or can I build a part in a CAD program like Alibre Workshop/Atom 3D and then just push the file to CNC12?
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Lathe Work/CNC12 and Post Processing

Post by cnckeith »

CNC12 runs on G code not cad data so yes if you are using a cad/cam system you will need a post processor.

i would suggest start with Intercon. to get the basics down. then you can move onto the cad/cam and post processor world

can your parts be made using Intercon?

Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

related.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
suntravel
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

fusion 360 has a Centroid PP for turning, but with most parts I am faster using Intercon.

Uwe
silver2row

Post by silver2row »

First off,

cnckeith...thank you for the videos. I was 100% unaware of currently understanding what available CNC programming entailed. This showed me. I thank you for the second video in the series. That showed me exactly how to set XZ and use offsets for tools with CNC12. And yes sir, my parts can be made using Intercon. I will need to learn like you say...

1. I need to learn centers, offsets of centers, and how to incorporate that into a useful piece (pens and/or other small parts)
2. I will need to learn about the offsets of the XZ for each tool I am going to use (pretty much done because of your videos)
3. And finally, set up the spindle speed and record it for future use...

Uwe, yeppers. Alibre has a CNC Workshop source for Win. So, I was looking to them since I got used to using their .stp and .stl generation tools on parts made.

3D Printing stuff primarily is all...

I see their "Workshop" source has a PP for Centroid with MeshCAM. I will learn Intercon to get to know various tools and techniques used in this field while learning about XZ and all that is relative. Thank you guys...

Also...

what is the deal with this project manual or Intercon Manual? Is there such a thing still?

I am not 100% on just reading and learnin' to sit idle but a learning book is good too. The reason I bring this up.

I heard you discuss the manual in the video. If it used to exist, okay. If it still exists, okay. I would like to review it.

Seth

P.S. If you made it this far in my rambling, thank you. If not, onto another day.
silver2row

Post by silver2row »

And A-Okay,

The Acorn CNC is up and running along with the limit switches, homing, and the correct XY linear axes in their respective places.

Seth

P.S. Anyway, thank you guys/gals for making this hardware available. I will post some type of video once the laser is functionary and done.

# Update

Wrong post...sorry. This was about lathes and not routers and lasers. Blah.