Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Hybrid stepper motor error

Post by PhilipTrueman »

I have a technical support a question. I have a Stepperonline hybrid stepper motor with encoder on a lathe tool turret. It advances forward then when it reaches a switch the motor reverses until the switch closes then stops. My theory is that for every tool change it has a following position error when the motor reverses that is stored inside the driver. After a while the driver stops working. Maybe because it has built up too many errors. When you turn off the drivers do the drivers reset to no errors? or do they have to be turned off for a long time. Is there a way to allow more errors or reset the errors to zero after a certain time period. Is it possible to make a change to the driver settings using the diagnostic cable?
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: Hybrid stepper motor error

Post by ShawnM »

Philip, we'd love to help but we need a lot more info to be able to help you. Please read this topic and post the required info so that we can see your system setup and offer up the best help for you. At an absolute minimum we need a current report from your machine. We have no idea what your "switch" is setup as, home or limit or both. The software is designed to back off a home switch when homing. Please read this topic below and then we can help you. Thanks

https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
PhilipTrueman
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by PhilipTrueman »

The switch inside the turret is a NPN proximity switch which is normally open. It has a sensing range of 2mm. So it looks as though when the metal cam backs up to the pawl the cam moves out of range at 2mm and switches off the motor. Originally the motor was just a standard stepper motor with 4NM and when it backed up against the pawl it just turned off the motor using the switch and a slight stall from the motor. I doesn't sound like the motor with encoder is stalling. It works for about 1hr sometimes 2hrs but when the driver stops working it cannot be reset with a power cycle. The next day it works again. It has a fan to keep the drivers cool not that they get warm. The turret driver is the warmest out of the three drivers.
Attachments
IMG_20240420_103005_929.jpg
report_E0623470B40F-0819215108_2024-04-21_16-38-42.zip
(894.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

sounds like the driver is faulting out and releasing power, check for binding/load on motor when holding position and or force that would cause it to be pushed off the commanded hold position. does the drive have a LED that indicates a fault?
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
PhilipTrueman
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by PhilipTrueman »

cnckeith wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:17 pm sounds like the driver is faulting out and releasing power, check for binding/load on motor when holding position and or force that would cause it to be pushed off the commanded hold position. does the drive have a LED that indicates a fault?
I have just put a normal stepper motor back on the turret. It is working better now. I have changed the homing macro so it works on the proximity switch better. I told it to go forward to seek the switch then go back until the switch closes at the correct feed rate to just touch the stop then stop. It seeme very reliable now and quiet.