New install - CNC12 (resolved, follow the video)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

C6MFG
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: New install - CNC12

Post by C6MFG »

Received my acorn the other day and just set it up and tried installing software after following Win10 setup for CNC . I am having a similar problem. MPU timeout after waiting 45 seconds. I can ping 10.168.41.1 ok but 10.168.41.2 fails or only get a 25%. The Ethernet lights are primarily solid but occasionally flash. Have tried reinstalling and don't have any firewalls running as far as I can tell.

Jason
C6MFG

Post by C6MFG »

Changed the Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0 and seems to have fixed it (also disabled/enabled etc). Getting a Windows Defender antivirus detected warning on CNC12 startup now. It is disabled as best I can tell but can't find a way to completely uninstall it.

Jason
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

C6MFG wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:21 pm Changed the Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0 and seems to have fixed it (also disabled/enabled etc). Getting a Windows Defender antivirus detected warning on CNC12 startup now. It is disabled as best I can tell but can't find a way to completely uninstall it.

Jason

You can't totally disable Defender but you can turn off Windows Firewall and that's what is needed. You might get nag messages telling you basically to turn it back on because it is off. Ignore them don't click on them or you might inadvertently turn firewall back on.

Remember, its a computer that controls your CNC Machine, not for surfing the internet. Yes, you want to be able to connect WHEN needed to download new software or to perhaps do a Teamviewer session, otherwise it should remain off line.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

ScotY wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:39 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:12 pm The default gateway address is your problem. I am not home right now to check exactly what it is, but I would try setting it to the same as the CNC PC's IP 10.168.41.1 save and shut down the computer and Acorn. Watch the video again to see what it is set to.

Start Acorn first, and then the CNC PC.
Let me know if that works for you.
Marty
Hi Marty,

I changed the default gateway to match (got a warning message) but it still didn't work until I turned off the firewall. CNC12 then started up but first the MPU did a reboot and I got a bunch of error messages, one of which was related to Windows Defender. I guess you really do need to follow the directions! I guess I'll have to build a dedicated PC sooner than later as it worries me too much to have all that stuff turned off on a PC I use everyday for typical internet usage.

I'll attach some pics of the error messages. There may have been a couple more but a lot was happening pretty quickly. Just one more specific question and that's if one PC can conveniently run two separate Acorn boards on different machines? EDIT - just saw your other post.

Thanks again for the help!
Did the Wizard start up after the install? Did you run it, and at least pick a default configuration and WRITE THE SETTINGS? You have to do this in order to configure a PLC. You can always drop back to the Wizard any time and change things. CNC12 will not run properly until you have run the Wizard and Written the settings.
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

ScotY wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:36 pm

IP Address 10.9.9.2
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 10.9.9.9
If you went back and watched the video again, you will note there is NO Default Gateway, remove the IP address in the gateway fields and save it. It is not required.
Mesa, AZ
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:56 pm
ScotY wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:39 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:12 pm The default gateway address is your problem. I am not home right now to check exactly what it is, but I would try setting it to the same as the CNC PC's IP 10.168.41.1 save and shut down the computer and Acorn. Watch the video again to see what it is set to.

Start Acorn first, and then the CNC PC.
Let me know if that works for you.
Marty
Hi Marty,

I changed the default gateway to match (got a warning message) but it still didn't work until I turned off the firewall. CNC12 then started up but first the MPU did a reboot and I got a bunch of error messages, one of which was related to Windows Defender. I guess you really do need to follow the directions! I guess I'll have to build a dedicated PC sooner than later as it worries me too much to have all that stuff turned off on a PC I use everyday for typical internet usage.

I'll attach some pics of the error messages. There may have been a couple more but a lot was happening pretty quickly. Just one more specific question and that's if one PC can conveniently run two separate Acorn boards on different machines? EDIT - just saw your other post.

Thanks again for the help!
Did the Wizard start up after the install? Did you run it, and at least pick a default configuration and WRITE THE SETTINGS? You have to do this in order to configure a PLC. You can always drop back to the Wizard any time and change things. CNC12 will not run properly until you have run the Wizard and Written the settings.
Hi Marty,

No, the wizard didn't start up. Perhaps I will uninstall and start over again? I watched the video on my phone (couldn't see fine details) while working on the PC. I'll delete the default gateway and try again tomorrow when I return home.

Regarding 2 Acorns on one PC, is there any chance it would work if you're using the free software? I'm thinking you're going to say no, but can't hurt to ask. :D

Thanks again for the assistance!
martyscncgarage

Suggest you check out ebay for Lenovo Tiny M92Ps. They are 2.9GHZ Intel I5 processors. They use standard notebook hard drives and memory. Even the CPU is socket mounted. You can usually find them for about $200 with Windows 10 installed. Sometimes you will find them with SSDs.

I have found that as long as the CPU is 2.9GHZ or faster, it will work. Celeron, Pentium, i3 or i5.
4gb of memory
128g of HD (preferably Solid State Drive but I run traditional HD's too and they work ok...)

I don't work for Centroid, just an Acorn Beta tester trying to help out.

If you do the uninstall, do it from Control Panel, remove Virtual Control Panel First and then CNC12. Make sure you have followed the entire Windows 10 Setup video by Liviu, Centroid Tech.

What kind of machine are you going to run it on? Any pictures?
Marty
Mesa, AZ
C6MFG

Post by C6MFG »

I purchased a lenovo M92 tiny PC as per forum suggestion. Followed the YouTube guides but the install didn't go like the vids. Once every thing installed the wizard would launch and I would write out the bench test settings and then try to launch CNC12. It would just hang up and MPU timeout. After trying to ping and then eventually changed to set UP address with correct subnet mask...CNC would finally load up but would receive a message from CNC12 stating it detected antivirus software. A popup message allowed me to choose to watch a video how to setup win10 pc for CNC or stop displaying warning. I disabled any antivirus/defender i could find....just want to make sure I am not missing something.

Thanks,
Jason
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Hi Marty,

I was thinking about building one of these:
https://techbuyersguru.com/500-home-off ... x-pc-build
I don't know much about computers but it sounds really nice.

I'll be using the Acorn on a Sieg mini mill...nothing too exciting. I also have a mini lathe that runs on a Smoothstepper and Mach3...thankfully just the demo software. Just finished the lathe build recently and now working on the mill. That's why I need 2 motion controllers. I'm new to all this stuff so it would be nice to have to learn just one system. And Mach is a huge frustration for me...so many things don't make sense and it seems very cumbersome, from what little I've learned about it so far. I've been browsing the Acorn manual and while some things are confusing, most of it makes sense.
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Default gateway is 255.255.255.0 -but- you should just let the Acorn installer do everything for you. Just make sure the Acorn is connected directly to the PC and not through a router/switch.