CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Axis motion after electronics moved to new enclosure

Post by SMCNC »

DRIVE-2M542-Manual.pdf
2M542 Stepper Driver Manual
(216.09 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
I built a CNC Router and used a PC case as a temporary electronics enclosure. The machine has run without issue for the last year. The time came to upgrade the enclosure which meant carefully removing and photographically documenting wires and the order they screw into the plugs. Some new wiring harnesses were made but they are a duplicate (except for length) of the original wiring. Everything went well except one issue.

The machine has a Left Y axes and a Right Y axes that are paired. When I push Y- on the VCP, the right and left Y axis moves in the correct direction (Y-) together. When I push Y+ on the VCP, the right axis moves in the correct direction (Y+) but the left moves in the Y- direction. The X and Z axis work as expected as does the spindle.

I've been over the wiring several times and found no obvious problems and nothing varied from the pictures.
Swapping stepper drivers didn't fix the problem.
The DIP switches on the stepper drivers are in the correct position.
I've updated to the newest CNC12 but that didn't work.
I've tried inverting the axis but it still moved on direction regardless of Y+ or Y- input.

No matter what I do, the Left Y axis only moves one direction regardless of input. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
The business end of the Left Y axis stepper driver
The business end of the Left Y axis stepper driver
Work in progress
Work in progress
report_20D7788707CA-1123226664_2024-05-14_12-23-31.zip
(904.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by SMCNC on Fri May 17, 2024 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Axis motion after electronics moved to new enclosure

Post by cnckeith »

hello.
any axis motor moving in only one direction is indication of the direction signal not making it to the drive.
since you swapped stepper drives and the issue stayed on that axis, check again the wiring of that axis.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
SMCNC
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 20D7788707CA-1123226664
DC3IOB: No

Post by SMCNC »

Thanks for getting back so quickly. The process of elimination leads me to think it is the signal wire as well. I tried a few things.

The step, direction, and enable wires have continuity as measured from the terminal screw on the Acorn board to the terminal screw on the Left Y stepper driver.

I swapped the X and Left Y stepper drivers again, inspected the connectors for corrosion and debris, and gave the wires the tug test at the plug. There was no change in the problem and no debris was found in the connectors.

The wires in the Left Y plug appear to be in the same order as the other plugs.

I added a couple of pictures to the original post for context. The machine is a standard PilotPro 26-42 that I converted to use an Acorn board running CNC12. The stepper driver is a 2M542.
Houseman303
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A901313

Post by Houseman303 »

The machine has a Left Y axes and a Right Y axes that are paired. When I push Y- on the VCP, the right and left Y axis moves in the correct direction (Y-) together. When I push Y+ on the VCP, the right axis moves in the correct direction (Y+) but the left moves in the Y- direction. The X and Z axis work as expected as does the spindle.
If both axes move in the same direction in one direction but opposite in the other direction, then it shouldn't be the wiring. Software pairing in CNC 12 had problems?
Gary Campbell
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

Check the direction wire to the left Y driver
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You could swap the H2 and H3 plugs, so that the X and Y axes get the commands for Z and Y2; and vice versa. Then if your Y direction problem remains with Left Y on the machine it the wiring; and if your Y direction problem moves to the Right Y, it is likely a hardware problem with that direction output on the Acorn board.
Ken Rychlik
CNC Control System Serial Number: 80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854

Post by Ken Rychlik »

Basically if it worked before you did the swap, you missed something in the wiring swap. One loose strand of wire to the plug, can mess things up.

I'm surprised to see you are not using the db25 for the step/dir outputs. What are the model number and brand of drives?
Ken
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Houseman303 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:20 pm
If both axes move in the same direction in one direction but opposite in the other direction, then it shouldn't be the wiring. Software pairing in CNC 12 had problems?
no problems.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
SMCNC

Post by SMCNC »

Gary Campbell wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:26 pm Check the direction wire to the left Y driver
I checked the continuity of the direction wire by putting a probe on the screw that holds the wire in the plugs (on both ends) and got 0 ohms so that makes me think the wire is fine. I made a new harness and installed it anyway. There was no change in the Left Y's behavior.
SMCNC

Post by SMCNC »

cncsnw wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:35 am You could swap the H2 and H3 plugs, so that the X and Y axes get the commands for Z and Y2; and vice versa. Then if your Y direction problem remains with Left Y on the machine it the wiring; and if your Y direction problem moves to the Right Y, it is likely a hardware problem with that direction output on the Acorn board.
I swapped the plugs and the problem went to the Right Y axis and not the Left Y axis. The problem moved with the plugs. That makes me think the Acorn board is fine. I rebuilt the wire harness and the problem persisted. It also makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the stepper driver.