Acorn losing position, but in a bit of a weird way < communications errors resolved>

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Viking_Machinery
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn losing position, but in a bit of a weird way < communications errors resolved>

Post by Viking_Machinery »

Hi All!

I've been having an interesting issue with my mill, and am wondering if anyone has seen something similar or has any ideas.
As a bit of background, I build and service CNC equipment for a living, so have seen a lifetimes worth of issues, but this one is definitely new to me! I haven't been able to find any discussion online that looks like this problem.
Ironically enough, this issue is with my own personal machine in the garage... This does also mean that it's in a fairly gentle environment, and I am the only person that uses it.

In a nutshell, when I'm running a program, the mill is losing position in the Y axis only. I have a series of parts I make, and have noticed the issue on two programs for sister parts (I haven't tried to reproduce on other programs yet).
The program is essentially a series of bores (Mainly OD). I'm holding 4 parts in fixture, lined up along the X axis.

The details of the position loss are;
- Program is not new. I've made a heap of these parts before with no issues, the problem emerged recently.
- The machine is not particularly new (I replaced the Mach 3 control with the Acorn about a year ago though), and has been doing good work for some time.
- There haven't been any software / settings changes made immediately before the problem presented. I have subsequently reduced the max speed on the affected axis (to no effect)
- The distance of positional offset is consistent every time.
- The direction is always the same.
- The loss always happens between operations (i.e. first series of bore ops is in position, second is offset). It never loses position during the boring, and is never different between parts.
- It follows a pattern, but isn't always in the same place. e.g. it might start misbehaving on bore 2 or bore 3. Always at the start of an op, but not always the same op.
- The error is intermittent, but can be quite persistent. Turning the PC & Acorn off and on again can sometimes resolve the issue, but it can take quite a few tries, and is more often persistent than not.
- When the machine is running 'properly' it will go all day without showing the issue. Start up again the next day and it could go either way.
- Feed rate doesn't seem to affect the error - running at full clip or snails pace doesn't seem to change anything.
- Running with RTG off doesn't change things.
- Graphics display shows toolpaths in the correct position.
- No error messages displayed when the issue occurs.
- Photo's of the problem here. As you can see, it has cut the original bore on position, and then the next cut is offset in Y.

The physical machine details are;
- Converted Optimum BF20 mill (3 axis)
- Running an Acorn 4 axis (not more than a couple of years old).
- Pro license.
- Gecko G320X drives on X, Y and Z axis. Drive error feedback is set up and confirmed working with the Acorn (you'll see the drive feedback error I forced in the Error Log).
- Servos (Kelling KL23-130-60) and encoders from Automation technology. All reasonably new.
- Adlee BLDC spindle & drive
- Linear rails / ballscrews on all axis. All axis running smoothly (easy to move by hand with the power off).
- Motor couplings feel to be good (screws checked, can't create slipping manually, jogging axis into a hard stop creates the proper drive error (yes, rough I know)).
- I haven't been able to reproduce the problem manually jogging the machine.
- Cabinet wiring is reasonably tidy (photo attached, note that the 24V/5V supply was actually swapped out to a larger one after the picture was taken)
- Shielded cables throughout.
- Shielded ethernet cable (can't remember the brand, but it was a good one from a reputable supplier). No bulkhead used - cable runs straight out to the PC.

PC and software are;
- HP Pavillion
- Windows 10 64-bit
- CNC12 v4.64
- RAM 8GB
- Fresh report attached
- G code for one of the parts attached
- CAM coming from Solid Works 2018 & HSMXpress
- PC was set up according to the relevant tech bulletin, but I have subsequently used the new setup tool to double check.
- Because it's an install older than V5.0, I don't have access to the Coms stress test file (does it work on an older install?).

Known gremlins in the system are;
- Occasional Ethernet 542 messages (not that often at all, but I do see them).
- For some reason it wont rigid tap M4 (M3 is fine, M5 is fine). This is on the "sort it when I get a chance" list as I suspect this is simply me being a bone head somewhere. I am getting an Error 438 Spindle slave position error. This isn't a high priority right now.
- Very occasional MPG connection errors (seems to be resolved since changing the USB port the receiver is plugged into).
- On a cabinet note, I while writing this I have realised that I am using the 24V/5V power supply for everything control, which looks like a violation of Tech bulletin 270, point 5.
- As per above, I've also not fitted snubbers to the relays in the coolant management cabinet (although I believe they are built into the units), or the coolant solenoid coils. I do note that no relays cycle anywhere near the points in the program where the issue arises.
- Reviewing the error log, I see a number of 944/946 MPU resend requests. That said, they DO NOT line up with the issue.

Please do let me know if I have missed anything and can provide more information.

I'm interested to know if anyone has seen an issue like this and has any ideas before I start pulling everything apart and replacing components one by one looking for a cause!
Attachments
report_402E71D126E7-0430214738_2023-12-31_13-13-35.zip
(625.76 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
4pcs Large Primer Tube Adapters R2.nc
(60.92 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Acorn losing position, but in a bit of a weird way

Post by cnckeith »

MPU resend and PC resending issues must be resolved before any other problems can be worked on. The control system will not work properly with these errors occuring. They are usually easy to fix.

Run the PC tuner on this CNCPC. latest version is v1.2.2
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _1.2.2.zip
run the com stress test. (i see you are running v4.64 this is a pretty old version of CNC12 software. (there have been about 1000 changes in cnc12 since then :-)) i would seriously consider installing and configuring the latest version v5.08 (its free) download here. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... loads.html
the com stress test does not exist in v4.64 since it was invented afterwards.
if fail
adjust network adapter to half duplex.
as seen in this thread.
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=8855#p8855

photo of the ethernet cable being used as well. as i can't see it.

start a photo album here is how. #3
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Viking_Machinery

Thanks Keith, I'll attack that and report back.

Would you recommend updating software version prior to this?
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Viking_Machinery wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:35 pm Thanks Keith, I'll attack that and report back.

Would you recommend updating software version prior to this?
i would get the com errors fixed first, then install v5.08 configure it and run the stress test to confirm all com traffic is solid.

good summary on fixing com errors is here.
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1451
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Viking_Machinery

G'day Keith,

Good news - looks like we've got it sorted! I'll run production on Monday and confirm, but so far so good :)
Here's a quick breakdown of what I did - hopefully it's of use to someone else one day.

Turning the machine on and jogging around, I was able to create a few COM's errors in the log, confirming that the machine was in a misbehaving state on this power up.
I followed through the instructions in the posts & links above, and noted that I had WiFi on, so turned this off as it's not needed. I also had the Ethernet "Allow the computer to turn this device off.." incorrectly set, and additionally still had Microsoft One Drive installed so remedied that. I also changed the Ethernet to 100MBs and Half Duplex at the same time.
Running the machine gave pretty much continuous "PC Requested Resend" errors at this point, so I went back and changed just the Ethernet setting back to the original, and this cleared up all COM's errors in the log - good result! I jogged the machine around and could not create any COM's errors in the log.
I then ran a program, and got another position loss - not so good. Interestingly though, it lost position in the opposite direction which I have never seen before, suggesting that something I had changed was indeed having an effect on things.
Now the COM's issue seems to be sorted, I went ahead and installed and configured v5.06. I ran the stress test and it returned no errors, so went ahead and ran the program again, which worked perfectly first time! I'll need to run the machine for an extended period to confirm good (it's a 1 hour program, so my Sunday morning interest in watching parts being made was limited), but fingers crossed the issue is indeed resolved!

Thank you so much for your help Keith - it's really appreciated :)

Cheers,

James