Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn standard connections diagram

Post by ScotY »

In anticipation of Acorn Lathe, I'm trying to determine how to wire up my mini lathe. I'm using steppers and some generic Chinese stepper drivers which want to run on 5vdc. Can I supply the stepper drivers with 5vdc from a dedicated switching power supply, while wiring up the Acorn to it's 24vdc power supply, and then just connect step/direction from the Acorn to the stepper drivers? Electronics stuff baffles me and I guess I'm basically not sure what kind of voltage the step/direction signals coming out of the Acorn are.

I'll attach a wiring diagram for my stepper drivers.

Thanks, Scot
Attachments
DM542A wiring diagram.pdf
(161.7 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Centroid_Tech2
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Acorn standard connections diagram

Post by Centroid_Tech2 »

Yes, power the ACORN board with the supplied 24VDC power supply.
The Step, Direction and Enable terminals of the ACORN board are open collector and pull down to common to send signals.
So you connect the +5VDC from your power supply to the drives PUL+ and DIR+ terminals
and the 5V Common (GND) from your power supply to any one of the COM terminals on the ACORN board.
You connect the PUL- and DIR- from the drive to the ACORN board ST# and DR# terminals for whichever axis you choose.
As seen on schematic # S14851-ACORN CONNECTIONS TO LEADSHINE DM SERIES DRIVE.

Since this is a lathe, you would connect the Z axis drive to the ST1 and DR1 and the X axis drive to ST2 and DR2.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
C6MFG
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Post by C6MFG »

Centroid_Tech2 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:25 pm Yes, power the ACORN board with the supplied 24VDC power supply.
The Step, Direction and Enable terminals of the ACORN board are open collector and pull down to common to send signals.
So you connect the +5VDC from your power supply to the drives PUL+ and DIR+ terminals
and the 5V Common (GND) from your power supply to any one of the COM terminals on the ACORN board.
You connect the PUL- and DIR- from the drive to the ACORN board ST# and DR# terminals for whichever axis you choose.
As seen on schematic # S14851-ACORN CONNECTIONS TO LEADSHINE DM SERIES DRIVE.

Since this is a lathe, you would connect the Z axis drive to the ST1 and DR1 and the X axis drive to ST2 and DR2.
Do you need the +5 to Ena+ and the Ena- from Acorn to Ena- on drive? I wired mine up like that per drawing but on a previous cnc setup using the same drive I didnt use the Ena+ or Ena- so not sure if needed.

Thanks,

Jason
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Jason,
please reference the Acorn Gecko G201 Schematic #S14809 as a guide for drives that require 5VDC.
the Acorn Leadshine schematic #S14851 is another example of 5vdc drive voltage hookup
Attachments
S14809-ACORN CONNECTIONS TO GECKO G201 STEPPER DRIVE.pdf
(94.52 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
S14851-ACORN CONNECTIONS TO LEADSHINE DM SERIES DRIVE.pdf
(62.26 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Thank you!