CNC Control System Serial Number: Serial Number
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

DMM ZRI Homing using only two inputs

Post by CarlEnglish »

Hi, all

Has anyone managed to wire the DYN4 ZRI using only two Acorn inputs?

X-Axis ZRI to Acorn IN1
Y-Axis ZRI to Acorn IN1
Z-Axis ZRI to Acorn IN1

X-home switch, Y-home switch, Z-home switch, wired in series to Acorn IN2

Normally Open switch, Normally closed switch ?

Acorn Wizard settings ?

I understand the homing file needs to be modified, anyone have the syntax for this ?

Thanks
slodat
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: DMM ZRI Homing using only two inputs

Post by slodat »

My cncm.hom file, using the DYN4 encoder ZRI for precision homing on all three axis. I have X, Y and Z switches on inputs 1-3 and ZRI+ paralleled up on 6. I do not have any of these switches configured in the wizard drop downs. I have NC switches configured as NO in the wizard.

Code: Select all

; 2019-02-26 Homing file
; cncm.hom
;
N100 ;Check for open home switch
IF [#50001] THEN M225 #100 "X Axis Home Switch Tripped!!!\nPlease Clear Before Homing\nPress Cycle Cancel To End Homing"
IF [#50002] THEN M225 #100 "Y Axis Home Switch Tripped!!!\nPlease Clear Before Homing\nPress Cycle Cancel To End Homing"
IF [#50003] THEN M225 #100 "Z Axis Home Switch Tripped!!!\nPlease Clear Before Homing\nPress Cycle Cancel To End Homing"
IF [!#50006] THEN M225 #100 "ZRI Switch Tripped!!!\nPlease Clear Before Homing\nPress Cycle Cancel To End Homing"
IF !#[50000 + 6] THEN GOTO 100 

M106 /Z P-3 F15  ;Move Z at 5in/m until input 1 opens
M106 /Z P6 F0.5  ;Move Z at 0.5in/m until input 6 closes
M26 /Z           ;Set Z home here
M105 /Z P3 F25   ;Back Z off Switch

M105 /Y P-2 F50  ;Move Y at 50in/m until input 2(Y axis switch) opens
M105 /Y P6 F1    ;Move Y at 1in/m until input 6(ZRI+ input) closes
M26 /Y           ;Set Y home here
M106 /Y P2 F25   ;Back Y off Switch

M105 /X P-1 F50  ;Move X at 50in/m until input 1(X axis switch) opens
M106 /X P6 F1    ;Move X at 1in/m until input 6(ZRI+ input) closes
M26 /X L1276     ;Set X home here
M106 /X P-6 F5   ;Back X off ZRI+ so next axis can use it

g1x0y0f200
CarlEnglish

Post by CarlEnglish »

Hi, Slodat

Thanks for the quick reply, i have been following your posts on this topic.

What do you mean "I do not have any of these switches configured in the wizard drop downs." do you have a screenshot ?

Is it possible to only use two Acorn inputs for all homing, just home each axis one after another?

I wish to save inputs for other uses, and also run a 4th-axis etc

Thanks
Carl
slodat

Post by slodat »

Carl,

Absolutely. Wire them up and modify the home to switch lines in my example and then back off the switch so the input is ready for the next axis.

Steven
AD89FE29-A11A-41AD-9536-2A5D5D8F5E7F.jpeg
cut2cut
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D26950ABAB-1221170383

Post by cut2cut »

Just to double confirm, I have my home switches in series, using only one input for the home and it works well. I also have the ZRI input “ganged” together so it only uses one more input. And The only requirement is that the home file can instruct to do each axis individually and, as slodat said , the code needs to command each axis to back off the home position to free it up for the next axis to be homed.
I’ll post my home file when I get back to the mill in the next day or two. It appears some setups are a little unique so it’s worth looking at a few.

Jake
CarlEnglish

Post by CarlEnglish »

cut2cut wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:28 pm
I’ll post my home file when I get back to the mill in the next day or two. It appears some setups are a little unique so it’s worth looking at a few.

Jake
Hi jake
Friendly reminder, were all Waiting to see your home file and how you made it all work with just two acorn inputs

Thanks
Carl
cut2cut

Post by cut2cut »

I have wanted to provide the home file but my mother broke her hip Tuesday. Edit : See my posts below.

Jake
Last edited by cut2cut on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slodat

Post by slodat »

Carl,

Substitute the inputs you are using and make sure it is moving in the correct direction. My homing file isn't anything special and it has the pieces you would need.
cut2cut

Post by cut2cut »

Here are a few notes. I'm sleep deprived, but hopefully this will help a bit. This code below may require some tweaking for your machine configuration, so start slow and do one axis at a time. Also, depending on the version of CNC12 if you open and save settings using the wizard it may over-write the home file. So be sure to make a master copy of the old one, and the new one, etc.

note. the negative sign after "P" defines the direction of the move in that axis. So you may have to remove the "-" negative sign for your axis to move the appropriate direction, it all depends on how you configured each axis for your home direction. So keep everything slow initially, so it won't go the wrong way and crash your valuable machine.

You can and probably should "comment out lines" ( disable them) by using a semi colon ( for example ;Move Z plus at 20in/m until 1 opens ). Its commented out because it has a ";" , basically anything after a ";" won't be used as an instruction. Normally, the comments are only there to help someone reading the code understand what's going on on that line. But its a nice tool to use so you can easily comment out ( disable ) a couple of the axis and just work with one initially to test with. Also, the jog/feed/rapid rate is 20in/m which should be reduced to 5 initially for testing. just use F5 instead of F20. You can also make it move really slow to search for the ZRI trigger / index pulse by changing F to "F .1" ( aka 1/10th of an inch per minute ). If you do that it will allow you to see the index pulse on the "virtual" Led's but it'll still be hard to see. ( the input LED's can be viewd by hitting ALT-i ) I'm going to upload a video with various shots of each screen that should help you understand what is happening. Each axis gets backed off the index pulse so it won't interfere with the next axis finding its index pulse. When you are ganging the ZRI inputs like I have, it requires the axis to back off. This is also true of the home switch The code is below.

Also some very important other settings, in the wizard, **at least with my configuration and version of the software ( i'm not running the latest release currently ) , you should set Input 1 ( all home switches in series ) to UNUSED and ALSO set to NO ( normally open ). Yeah, its strange, my switches are wired as NC , I don't know why it works this way honestly, but it does matter which way I set the input type for this to work. Input 4 is the ganged ZRI inputs. Set the input 4 to UNUSED and the input type to NC. For this "anomaly" its very important to make sure the speed of the axis is set to very slow while you are trying it out the first time, especially. So :

****I STRONGLY suggest setting all your homing speeds to F5 or slower not F20 like my example. And the ZRI input to 0.3 INITIALLY And I also suggest commenting out lines so only one axis tries to home initially. If things aren't working as they should, comment out the axis you are working on, and try another. I had a motor with a faulty ZRI index encoder, which caused me a lot of grief trying to figure out what was wrong. But assume all your hardware is good initially but do try commenting out to test different axis to determine if it could be a hardware issue, by the slim chance it is.

Most of this was knowledge is from Marty's videos and JoeG's help as well. I had to make some changes for my configuration, so likely you'll need to adjust something. Remember, my version of the software is likely different, but hopefully yours works the same as mine wrt to the wizard settings.

LINK TO THE VIDEO I JUST MADE THAT SHOWS THE INPUTS TRIGGERING :

https://youtu.be/CYIUzVfrWpo

P.s. you won't see the ZRI ( input 4 ) LED flash, because I have mine moving too fast ( F1 ) and in one line of the video ( line 19 ) it says 10ipm but it should say 20ipm.

Jake

Code: Select all

N100 ;Check for active home switch

IF [#50001] THEN M225 #100 "HomeAll Switch Tripped!!!"

IF [#50001] THEN GOTO 100 

M106 /Z P-1 F20 	;Move Z plus at 20in/m until input 1 ??opens??

M105 /Z P-4 F1  	;Move Z plus at 1in/m until input 4 ??closes?? 

M26 /Z 			;Set Z home here

M105 /Z P1 F25		;Back Z off Switch at 25in/m

M105 /X P-1 F20 	;Move X minus at 20in/m until input 1 ? 

M106 /X P-4 F1  	;Move X minus at 1in/m until in 4 ?

M26 /X			;Set Z home here

M106 /X P1 F25		;Back X off Switch at 25in/m

M105 /Y P-1 F20 	;Move Y minus at 20in/m until input 1 ?

M106 /Y P-4 F1  	;Move Y minus at 1in/m until input 4 ?

M26 /Y			;Set Z home here

M106 /Y P1 F25 		;Back Y off Switch at 25in/m

Last edited by cut2cut on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 11 times in total.
cut2cut

Post by cut2cut »

see above Carl.

Best,

Jake
CarlEnglish wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:25 pm
cut2cut wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:28 pm

Jake
Hi jake
Friendly reminder, were all Waiting to see your home file and how you made it all work with just two acorn inputs

Thanks
Carl