PLC Program For Emco PC Turn 55 (using original turret board and motor) <Success>

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: PLC Program For Emco PC Turn 55 (using original turret board and motor) <Success>

Post by martyscncgarage »

Threedj16 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:07 pm Ok, wasn't thinking.....LOL. Forgot to just hit reset twice and then all is back to normal if you fault the turret. Anyway, I've played with this code lathe turret enough to feel pretty good that it will work fine. Mario ran some Gcode that just did a bunch of turret moves and it worked fine. We tested using Aux11 button, ATC call, midi call and Gcode call. The only thing it won't do is remember the tool number after startup when if you've used the Aux button. Think it remembers the rest.

Also the Aux 10 is setup for relay 8 as a toggle on/off for my work light and that is in the PLC code. If you don't want that, just search Aux10 and comment out that section. It comes on at startup and then anytime you touch Aux10, it toggles the light. I think everything else I've done was via macros.

Anyway, here is the report file.

report_C8FD19F23AFF-0213180659_2018-05-26_01-31-07.zip
Jasen,
I've been following your thread hit and miss. When you startup and home all axis, the turret also homes itself to set tool 1 position?
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Threedj16
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19F23AFF-0213180659
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: PLC Program For Emco PC Turn 55 (using original turret board and motor) <Success>

Post by Threedj16 »

Yup Marty, that is correct because we couldn't get the tool position to save after a shutdown in all circumstances.
Last edited by Threedj16 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage

Threedj16 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:03 pm Yup Marty, that is correct because we couldn't get the tool position to save after a shutdown in all circumstances.

Jasen
Thanks for clarifying.
I assume you are near done with your build?
Don't forget the video of the machine cutting the obligatory pawn. :D
Mesa, AZ
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

Shooting for tomorrow provided I can figure out how to do it....LOL. Got all my tools cut to size last night. Everything fits and lining up good. Now just need to learn how to work with lathe software versus mill software. Things are very different than what I'm used to using.
martyscncgarage

Watch Keith's video:
https://youtu.be/4Ik3gFMh8kU
Mesa, AZ
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:25 pm Watch Keith's video:
https://youtu.be/4Ik3gFMh8kU
LOL...I did...several times already. I've been testing the accuracy of the dual homing and so far, it seems accurate enough to set my tooling based on home. My tool 1 is a 10mm hole, so very easy to check it. It's a really tight fit on a drill shank. I was able to repeat that on all three of my forward facing tool holes after a home cycle. So I'm assuming that I'd use the machine coordinates for tool setup instead of work coordinates if I go that route. Plus I have a few other questions to solve. I did a dry run program with the metric encoder pawn and even though my Z and X are setup correctly, the program appeared to run backwards (hard to tell, as it stopped so quick on the limits). But I need to figure out what is going on. Maybe due to my homing at spindle end? Again, never really used lathe software so noob on that. But my Z moves positive away from chuck and X moves negative towards chuck. Everything I've read shows that as being correct. So planning on spending some time tonight figuring all that out. After I do a little more cleanup on a couple of the new tools I had to shorten.
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

I just want to clarify on the operation of the turret homing with Jasen's setup. When initially installed, the Centroid control has no idea where the turret is so an M18 needs to be issued in order to find tool 1. Initially, since the tool information gets set to 0 when power to the ACORN is removed, when the CNC12 software started up again, it had no idea what tool location it was at so Jasen correctly added the M18 to his .hom file in order "home" the turret after homing the axes.

Since then the PLC program has been modified so that it will keep track of the tool location even after the ACORN has been powered off. Unfortunately, it only keeps track of it when running a program or calling a tool using MDI. That means that if the operator indexes the turret using the AUX11 key, the operator will have to either run a simple program that performs a tool change or perform a tool change using MDI prior to removing power to the ACORN in order for the CNC12 software to store the turret location. With that added logic, there is no longer a need for the M18 in the .hom file but an M18 will need to be issued when the system is initially setup.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

Centroid_Tech wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 am I just want to clarify on the operation of the turret homing. When initially installed, the Centroid control has no idea where the turret is so an M18 needs to be issued in order to find tool 1. Initially, since the tool information gets set to 0 when power to the ACORN is removed, when the CNC12 software started up again, it had no idea what tool location it was at so ThreeDJ correctly added the M18 to his .hom file in order "home" the turret after homing the axes.

Since then the PLC program has been modified so that it will keep track of the tool location even after the ACORN has been powered off. Unfortunately, it only keeps track of it when running a program or calling a tool using MDI. That means that if the operator indexes the turret using the AUX11 key, the operator will have to either run a simple program that performs a tool change or perform a tool change using MDI prior to removing power to the ACORN in order for the CNC12 software to store the turret location. With that added logic, there is no longer a need for the M18 in the .hom file but an M18 will need to be issued when the system is initially setup.
Thanks Mario! Honestly with the few extra seconds it takes to do the turret home, I just decided to leave it in the home file so I never have to worry about whether it remembered or not (for now anyway).

FYI, Mario has gone above and beyond to get me setup! I highly recommend doing the tech support deal if you get stuck on a PLC issue. Sure was better than me beating my brains in trying to solve all the issues I was having programming it myself!

Thanks Mario for everything!!!
Last edited by Threedj16 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

Well, lathe and turret are working great. But I wanted my first part to be my own design (plus I'd have to modify the pawn program anyway since I have a turret with tool numbers and such setup differently. Figured a quick Fusion 360 CAD and CAM output, I'd be good to go.....sigh.... :cry: . That isn't going well as the posts I've found for CNC12 Lathe aren't working with my setup or I have a setting wrong in Fusion CAM. I tried a quick Intercon program to center drill a piece of round stock and the coordinated worked out perfectly. But running a Gcode from fusion and the X coordinates are wrong.

Anyway, still trying to figure it out. Hopefully I'll have a pawn or a bishop (LOL...that is what I created in Fusion) someday soon I hope....with a video.
Last edited by Threedj16 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage

You'll get there Jasen. I'm very interested to hear how you make out with Fusion.
Mesa, AZ