Time To Have Some fun

Post your completed retrofits for the world to see.

Moderator: cnckeith

jhop28
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Time To Have Some fun

Post by jhop28 »

I thought id post a little story of my Journey into the world of CNC , I'm a Long range F Class Rifle competitor and while driving back from our Nationals in Phoenix in Late 2015 to Indianapolis 25 hrs. My buddy whos a Mechanical engineer and I where talking of building our own Stocks and 1 thing led to another anyway I ended up converting a little 704 mill as I have actually 0 experience in Machining or CNC at this point but if I'm set on something I will tackle it . Last year I got it going running Mach and was struggling between Cad to Cam and the whole process and really wanted to make the little mill as good as I could so I took it completely down and started over welded up a solid stand and extended the travels a little added better ball screws and redid the electronics so I'm almost ready to fire it up and saw a post about the Acorn . Well let me say id have paid triple the cost they where charging for it as for me with zero cnc exp the thought of having a controller with integrated software to drive the machine by the same people was a godsend to me .I had an issue arise after a few weeks of running it as the acorn wouldn't communicate so I'm thinking joy what now so I posted asking for an Idea as to what I could do as I was lost as I did try unbricking with no luck and Kieth had responded to it asking when he could call me to try to troubleshoot it so then next eve we tryed with no luck later to find out it had to be something I wasn't doing quite right as Kieth the very next morning had another acorn in the mail to me and I sent mine to him to evaluate as he was very concerned that I get going ,I own an auto Repair shop and have dealt with countless companies over the years and I can say Hands down 100 % certainty that Centroid has there s----- together best experience I have had ever with any Co. The Centroid control system is so much easier to learn and makes total sense to me . I couldn't imagine there even being a decision as to what control system to run knowing what I know now unless your like in the commercials where you like hitting your head on the rafters or chewing your arm in a vending machine lol Ive attached a few photos here of my little mill as now its time to have some fun :D
Attachments
20170712_195325.jpg
20171014_213438.jpg
20171019_212632.jpg
20171028_201943.jpg
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Re: Time To Have Some fun

Post by frijoli »

Nice write up.
Good looking set-up too. I like the tool holder.

Clay
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Nice write up. Nice machine
I agree, once you are familiar, the Centroid software is pretty straight forward and solid. No surprises either.
Tinker with Intercon under the CAM tab. Handy for quickie stuff like bolt patterns and pockets...
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
C6MFG
CNC11: No

Post by C6MFG »

Nice job! Converting a PM25 myself currently.

Jason