**RESOLVED** VFDs on Axis Drive

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

bendymann

**RESOLVED** VFDs on Axis Drive

Post by bendymann »

Hi All,
I have been looking everywhere, and please correct me if I am dense as I cannot seem to find a solution to my problem. I have a Mill with XYZ power drive, these are all three phase motors driven by yaskawa VFDs. The machine also has Easson Linear scales fitted for a DRO. Is it possible to drive the motors like a servo, with closed loop feedback from the Scales? I'm trying to avoid replacing the XYZ motors with steppers or DC servos.

Thanks for your help in advance.
diycncscott

Re: VFDs on Axis Drive

Post by diycncscott »

Hello Bendymann

Unfortunately, it's extremely unlikely that your motors and VFD's are responsive enough to do anything like "real" CNC motion control. In addition, your axes are likely driven by acme screws which also add quite a bit of inaccuracy/backlash. That said, you could probably go with a PLC based solution to do some point-to-point positioning that may be "good enough" for some operations but I don't think it would be very cost effective and in the long run I feel that you would be much better off looking for a CNC mill with a dead control and retrofitting that.

For $500-$1500 (and if you're patient) you should be able to pick up a CNC series I or series II sized machine that is in reasonably good mechanical condition and has servo motors that you could re-use.