Riley
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

**RESOLVED** Copley 300 series drives

Post by Riley »

Need some help with connecting Copley 306B amps to GOI4D. Dont know what I'm missing but cannot get past "axis x drive fault". If anyone has any suggestions I would be most appreciative. I have found some other setups for different systems here but nothing yet that has really cleared this up for me. Should the enable led come on for that axis on the GOI4D even if the servo amp is not powered? I have yet to see the axis 1 led come on.
diycncscott

Re: Copley 300 series drives

Post by diycncscott »

Riley,

I can't find any docs on the Copely site -do you have a pdf you can post?
Riley

Post by Riley »

Hi Scott, thanks for the help. Hopefully the file uploaded.
Attachments
Image (3).jpg
Image (2).jpg
Image.jpg
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

On a quick glance, I would guess that you need to:
1) Connect pin 19 (S, "normal") of each drive to pin 3 (FLT) of its axis header on the GPIO4D.
2) Connect pin 7 (G, "logic gnd") of each drive to pin 4 (FLTCOM) of its axis header on the GPIO4D.
3) Install a 470-ohm SIP resistor as SIP5 on the GPIO4D, so that the axis fault inputs will operate with 5VDC.

In the posted pages, it is not clear whether pin 7 (G) is the common side of the internal +5V supply. If it is not, then you need to find out where the common side of that supply is, and connect it to the FLTCOM terminal on each axis header of the GPIO4D.

The point is to make a closed circuit from the drive's "normal" output signal (held at +5 when all is well), through the GPIO4D fault input, back to the common side of the drive's 5V supply, so that current flows through the GPIO4D input when all is well.

If this is working properly, you should see Green closed-circuit indicators on the PLC Diagnostic display (Alt-I from the main screen, assuming you are using CNC11 software) for the axis fault inputs (INP17 for the first axis; INP18 for the second axis; INP19 for the third axis; INP20 for the fourth axis if present).
Riley

Post by Riley »

Well all connections have been made and the axis fault remains. When I watch the diagnostic screen and reset the e stop x axis enable comes on for about 2 seconds and goes out. If I jumper the drive enable the 5 volts are present on the fault pin indicating the drive is ok.But how do you get 5 volts out without enabling the drive? Maybe I'm wrong but mach wont enable an axis till it sees that there is no fault, how does this work?
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

For testing purposes, jumper the Fault input to +5V for each axis and jumper the fault commons to the 5V com.

Make sure the Estop input and limit inputs should be closed- check in diagnostics in Mach. The "emergency", X--, X++, Y--, Y++, etc.. etc... "led's" should not be lit. If they are lit, jumper out those inputs in the same manner. -Make sure you have the 470 ohm SIPS inserted if using 5V on the limits/estop.

That should clear any faults that would prevent the enable LED's on the gpio4d from lighting.