CNC Control System Serial Number: A900438
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Bridgeport Series 2 Interact II - Spindle Override Dial

Post by Jay »

Hi,
I'm finally getting my Bridgeport Series 2 Interact II together and converted over to CNC11 - have to admit doing this puts me in my happy place. I'm planning on keeping inline with the Interact philosophy. Thus keeping the X/Y/Z jog joysticks and rapid buttons, but will dump the OEM MPG for the Ajax MPG. Configuration includes: GS2 VFD, brake resistor, etc.; Spindle Encoder(spindle is 1:1 with 2 V-Belts); AirBrake kept

For the Head buttons - thinking to have:

Spindle Off
Spindle On
Brake Auto/Off
Spindle Override (Dial)
E-Stop

I figure I'll need a PLCADD1616 to support the Joysticks, but not quite sure how to tackle the Spindle Override dial. As well once the controls are finalized I'll need someone to pick up the PLC programming.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

Jay
Okotoks, Alberta
cncsnw

Re: Bridgeport Series 2 Interact II - Spindle Override Dial

Post by cncsnw »

The All-in-one DC has an analog input, so you can wire a potentiometer to it.

The analog input can be configured for 0-5VDC or for 0-10VDC. If you use a 5VDC source for your potentiometer circuit, then you can just wire it as a voltage splitter:
+5VDC to one end of the pot
0VDC to the other end of the pot
same 0VDC to analog common
Pot wiper (center tap) to analog input

I would use a pot in the 5K to 10K range.

If you use a 12VDC source, then you need a step-down resistor before the pot. E.g. if you use a 12VDC source; configure your analog input for 0-10V; and use a 10K pot; then you would put a 2K resistor between the +12V source and the plus end of the pot, so that the pot range is 0-10V.

Do you also plan to use a Centroid M39 control pendant, or are you hoping to provide all the jogging and machine controls you need via the various existing devices, supplemented with the PC keyboard when necessary?
Jay
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900438
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Bridgeport Series 2 Interact II - Spindle Override Dial

Post by Jay »

Great - that all makes good sense. I'll have to look around at what I've got for VDC - likely 12VDC - to keep my voltage up where I can.

I do have an M39 Pendant so some redundancy in controls, but I think the Interact idea was if you're going manual - your working more from the head, joysticks and mpg - if you're going CNC, you're more on the Console, keyboard and M39 Pendant.

Jay
Okotoks, Alberta