DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Convert 3Phase to Single- Series 1 Bridgeport CNC

Post by Tearsa »

Hi,
I am new here. Please steer me right.
Previously ran my CNC three phase.
Is there a procedure available to change over to single phase operation?

I ran the machine for a year three phase. I have wired up to single and three phase before.
I have some electronics experience. From what I understand, only the spindle needs three phase.
Can I supply three phase to my spindle only with a static converter and run everything else single phase?
Can I keep from buying Variable Frequency Drive for now and get this to run?
Sure would appreciate any leads. Dana Ellen :)

Bridgeport Series 1 Boss CNC, upgraded in 2005 to Ajax. Single station. No VFD.
System ID: 1011051053 CNC 10 V1.27
Last edited by Tearsa on Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Centroid_Liviu
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Re: Convert 3Phase to Single- Series 1 Bridgeport CNC

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

The spindle would be the only item that requires 3 phase after an Ajax retrofit.
The easiest and most beneficial solution would be going with a VFD. I think the Series I BP has a 2HP spindle. At Automation Direct you can purchase a GS2 2HP single phase to three phase VFD for about $250.
A static converter is not recommended vs a rotary phase converter. You can get it to run if that is your only option, but I would suggest investing a bit more money into a VFD instead. A VFD also opens up the option of exact spindle RPM control.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Liviu is right. going with a VFD to run the spindle is the way to go. you'll just need to purchase a vfd that accepts single phase 220. There are several good VFD options these days. the GS2/3 are good units, also the cheaper Haunyang vfd is popular with DIYCNC'ers.
Once you have the spindle running off the inverter, Then everything else on the series 1 will run off a 110 vac 20 amp circuit.
I also position and lock the mechanical variable speed to approximately a 1:1 ratio. and then you setup the spindle speed thru the control and the vfd using a tachometer. its also nice to put a switch on the back gear so the control know when you switch in to low gear on the head. if you don't want to install a switch on the back gear lever, you can also just program a AUX key on the control panel to act as that switch but you'll have to remember to press it when switching into low range so the control knows which gear range you are in.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Tearsa
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A50115

Post by Tearsa »

Thanks for that advice. If I keep this I will sure get the GS2 drive. At this point I am looking at a T1 transformer in the upper left of the cabinet that I understand to be a single phase transformer and wondering if I disconnect that and supply single phase to the machine instead of that transformer, then will that allow my machine to home? I am here in Orlando, FL, so far I am not sure if there is someone close who could help with this electrical. I have single phase only here. Although I have a used Phase-a-matic R5, which I wasn't sure I should try to use without a VS-5 voltage stabilizer which would cost $420 more.
Last edited by Tearsa on Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tearsa

Post by Tearsa »

If this drive will do the job, I think I will have to buy it. When I looked up the GS2 by Automation Direct, it seemed to indicate that I needed to by a filter and a fuse holder and fuse that raised the price another chunk. I am wondering if this huanyang drive needs such things?
Attachments
drive2.jpg
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

yeah the Huanyang works well. watch out for fakes.. make sure you are buying the real huanyang.
here is a great video by Jon Messenger on how to setup one up with a Centroid allin1dc cnc control board.. check it out.
https://youtu.be/f_0GNiu-gOA
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Tearsa

Post by Tearsa »

Hey that video is great! Thanks for that. Looks like I didn't get a real Huanyang. I moved too fast on that one. I bought this off ebay. Would have held out for Huanyang, but didn't realize I needed to. Hopefully I can get it to work.
Attachments
danadrive.jpg
Tearsa

Post by Tearsa »

This drive I bought is a Vevor. Does someone here know that it is worth it for me to return this unopened? I would pay shipping back to CA from FL and possibly a restocking fee. Your help is much appreciated. Dana