Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 50007
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

CNC10 Version 2.72 error 436

Post by SEK22Hornet »

I was having some motherboard problems and had the electrical box on DM45NC open when I powered things up, I saw and heard arcing. On further investigation, I found that the source was the positive terminal of the cap on the DC power supply for the servos. After digging the assembly out, I was able to repair the burned copper around the capacitor terminal by soldering a couple ring terminals to the adjacent copper after scraping away the solder mask. The capacitor was apparently not making contact at all, because after this repair, the drive runs exceptionally quiet compared to before. However, after the machine runs for a few minutes, I get an error 436 Drive Shutdown. Of course this shuts off all motion. The manual says that this is either a overvoltage or overcurrent situation. The machine is not unusable due to this error. What is the voltage limit that trips this? Is it adjustable? I don't think it is over current, since the machine trip this while just manually jogging any of the three axis. I have not measured the DC voltage yet. Where do I start on this problem?
Centroid_Tech

Re: CNC10 Version 2.72 error 436

Post by Centroid_Tech »

Please email a current report to tech@ajaxcnc.com. It could be that the arcing may have damaged something internally on the drive which is causing your 436 Servo Drive Shutdown messages.
Attachments
193 Generating Report.pdf
(5.58 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
SEK22Hornet
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by SEK22Hornet »

ajax_tech wrote:Please email a current report to tech@ajaxcnc.com. It could be that the arcing may have damaged something internally on the drive which is causing your 436 Servo Drive Shutdown messages.
I have had a problem writing the report to the USB stick I usually use - the machine reads the NC files off of it just fine, but I could not even see it in the report screen. I finally grabbed a new generic USB and it worked - here is the report. I also ran the machine for a about 1-1/2 hours this evening and it did not error out (same program). I did back down the feed speed about 20% but tried cranking it up to max a few a few times. I'll try it again next chance I get. This machine does have a DC1 attached to the Servo3IO - I have no need for it at present, since I don't have a rotary 4th axis - so I would love to to disconnect it so it's not sitting there powered up all the time doing nothing. Are there some instructions on installing that option that maybe I could use to reverse the install?
Attachments
report.txt
(91.17 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

You posted the report.txt, which provides some help but we require the report.zip

What is the DC voltage measured at VM+ & VM- on you SERVO3IO with Estop released?

Does the voltage sag (drop lower) when the motors are in motion?

Your max rates seem high. I would lower the max rates to 275 for X & Y and increase your accels to .35 on all axes. (don't change anything else when prompted)

Please post the report.zip
SEK22Hornet

Post by SEK22Hornet »

I'll post the report.zip when I get home - The voltage on the output of the power supply measures 118 volts DC. I have not checked it while running the motors. I'll have to look and see where to set the max rates and accels....(I'm guessing they are in the Config screen).
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Please check the voltage at the drive - if you have a bad/poor connection between the PS and drive it may not be able to pass enough current which could cause a big difference between the measure voltage at the supply and measured voltage at the drive (especially under load)

F1-Setup->F3-Config(pw=137)->F2-Mach-F1-Jog (max rates)

F1-Setup->F3-Config(pw=137)->F4-PID (accel)
SEK22Hornet

Post by SEK22Hornet »

Here is the report.zip. I hope to have some time to do more troubleshooting later in the week and hopefully I'll get the voltage measurements for you. I'm a trained electronics technician with over 35 years of experience so I'm pretty comfortable with that side of things.
Attachments
report.zip
(67.48 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You might also re-check that fibers #4 and #5 (sometimes labeled "DATA" and "SYNC") are securely plugged in at both ends.

A loose fiber connection between the CPU board and the servo drive would probably cause 436 faults.
SEK22Hornet

Post by SEK22Hornet »

Checked the voltage at the drive - 116.6 no load and the lowest I saw it dip while dry running a program was about 113 - hard to see with a digital meter. I set the max jog rates to 275 on both x and y axis - z was set to 215 so I left it alone for now. When I saved the change, the software told me to reset the Accel to .135 for x and .1 for y, which I did. I re-booted the machine and re-ran the program. Much smoother running - a lot less jarring at the points where the table reverses direction suddenly. I did not have time to run a part but I think this has helped, if no eliminated the problem. I'll try to run a part sometime this wee and that will tell me for sure - Thanks for the help! I was certainly hoping that the board didn't have a problem. I also checked the fibers, since I have had them disconnected recently - they all snap in tight with a nice click, so I think they are ok.

Dan
SEK22Hornet

Post by SEK22Hornet »

Ran my mill for about an hour and half this evening. No error messages. Looks like adjusting the setting has taken care of the issue - thanks for the help!