Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900445
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

modified ajax plugin

Post by kkeel »

Hello,
I need to know if i can get the Ajax plugin to not see "Z". I want to use a stepper with a plugin that works with Mach to drive "Z" ( plasma ).
diycncscott

Re: modified ajax plugin

Post by diycncscott »

Could you please clarify what you are asking? Our records indicate you are running CNC11 but you are asking about the Mach plugin? Is your intent to run Mach instead of CNC11? Can you provide some additional details of what you are trying to achieve?
kkeel

Post by kkeel »

I'm running mach3 with Ajax plugin. I have a THC that needs to run thru Mach3 as a plugin to control "Z". This is the correspondence from my E-mail with the manufacture CandCNC.

Hello Tom,
I purchased the MP3100 in March 2015 Order # 65d90171 along with the basic software bundle, WinXP CPU and Hy T Advanced Kit A. I am no longer using Win XP or that CPU as it was apparently struck by lightening the first weekend I had it setup with out a surge protector. So I did a self build using a Gigabyte motherboard and Win 7 64 bit that is connected to Ajax Allin1DC thru an Ethernet cable. Machine is up and running on Mach3, have oxy torches interfaced, now it is time for the plasma to go to work. My question is - will the system I got from you work with this new setup ( I have an open print port ). If not, your recommendations for a solution ( going to use Hypertherm 105 CNC connection and volt divider ( have not purchased yet ) ).
Thanks,
Ken

( Tom)
Holy cow that thing has a bunch of wires and connectors and modules! Sure looks like overkill for a plasma or router plasma table.

The MP3100 has to have a real time parallel port to MACH and its the full I/O for the system. I honestly do not think it will work .
So does the AJAX have a MACH plugin for the Ethernet? What is MACH talking to? I DO know that MACH parallel port driver will not work in 64 bit anything.

The DTHCIV controls Z directly though its I/O and shares motion with MACH but across (in this case) a parallel port) In the MP3100 (which is also a Breakout Card for a parallel port ) it has to have the step & direction for motors THOUGH the MP3100 from the parallel port.

I honestly don't know what you will use for a THC. None of mine are going to work (right) with that as the main controller

(Ken)
To answer your questions 1) Ajax does use an Ajax Mach3 plugin that is talking to a Centriod MPU11.
I can get Win7 32 bit, if it will help?

(TOM)
For comparison look at our Totally self contained 4 or 5 axis Bladerunner Ether-CUt LINUX system with 4 motors (or 5 ) for steppers or for servso you move inot the Plazpak range (gantry weight to 300 lbs)
I got the manual and looked at the Ajax1DC and it spretty much a closed control. Yes it has all kinds of I/O but there is no way to use a THC with that setup. It would have to be setup in the control software to take in the THC UP and DOWN conventional signals and handle them directly to the Z because the plugin would be way too slow. The Ethernet Smooth Stepper Does have a THC up and DOWN input and interfaces with MACH to keep the Z location updated but it handles Z up and Down direclly. That form of THC (basic UP and DOWN and ARC OK) needs to have no latency in the signal or its pretty much worthless.

With the DTHCIV we moved away from the THC UP and DOWN and the DTHCIV uses a method that lets it drive the Z directly with a local PID loop . What is unique is coupled with our UBOB breakout and the ESS card., is that the Z is also controlled by MACH (or LINUXCNC) so it has to be able to be inserted hardware wise directly in the step & dir signals to Z .

Simply put they have 100% control of the motion and its not going to be possible to share that. The I/O won't be fast enough and you cannot run a parallel port driver in MACH AND any pulse card too.

I appears that was designed to be used with a mill or router with no thought towards plasma cutting . Your only viable solution at this point is look for a "Stand-alone" THC that takes over 100% control of the Z axis and make is so you can switch it in and out if you still want to use the setup for routing or milling. That means a different motor and driver as well for Z.

I have started installing a stepper on Z, and have found a sollution for THC, if this is not possible. I would like to use this setup if there is a way of getting the ajax plugin to not see Z, which I think will allow it to work.

What do you think?

Thanks Ken
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Hi Ken,

How does the THC drive the stepper? Is it direct or does it need to be fed back into Mach?

If Mach is involved, what does the THC provide to Mach?

What other type of feedback is available from the THC?

Do you have a servo motor on Z already?
kkeel

Post by kkeel »

How does the THC drive the stepper? Is it direct or does it need to be fed back into Mach?

Please see attachment DTHC Configuation.

Do you have a servo motor on Z already? I do have, but have started going with a stepper system.
Attachments
DTHC Configuration.tif
kkeel

Post by kkeel »

Got this machine done, see it in the Tootin' Your Horn Topic
kkeel