Bench Check

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

jonmessenger
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: GHFDDHECE(0223151234)
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Bench Check

Post by jonmessenger »

This is what is occurring. on the first check, after pressing ALT % i and getting the input output screen, 9, 10, 11 should be lit green, but they are not. only 11 is green. secondly output one is not lit, there is no continuity between the "no fault" terminals. the All-In-One board LED is reading "1" which i believe is a voltage error, and the "debug light" is flashing once per second.

the computer is a 3.0 GHz dual core running a clean install of windows 7

Some help would be appriciated
jonmessenger

Re: Bench Check

Post by jonmessenger »

ok after further reading it appears that a "solid" 1 in LED1 means the board is functioning properly, and it is only when it is blinking that there is an error. i have checked and rechecked the parameter setting to verify they are correct. they are as follows
35=0
148=0
170=5
178=3
332=255
333=255
334=255
335=255
(yes i pressed F10 to save)
PID = CTRl&V(stall detection disabled)

when i press the e stop button output 5 lights up and when restored pin 11 lights up
jonmessenger

Re: Bench Check Problems with Servo Voltage

Post by jonmessenger »

Solved it myself. for all that may in the future sometime encounter this problem. here is the solution

while in the ALT & i monitoring screen, if you press CTRL + ALT + i while on the signal inputs it will invert the signals, so i changed 9 and 10 to green an viola it all began to work

And i don't know if i am just talking to myself or not but when checking the DC output of CAPBRD i am reading 168 VDC the instructions say it should be between 20-130 VDC i do not see a way to adjust this output off the Capacitor and board. So my question is is this going to be ok and like some other things i have discovered your documentation is not up to date, or is this a problem i need to rectify (no pun intended, but a pretty good one if i do say so myself)
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

the allin1dc can accept 20 to 180 VDC "bus voltage" that is used to run the servo motors.
its up to you to step down the AC input voltage to the CAPboard so that when that AC is rectified the proper DC voltage is created to match the specification of the servo motors you are using.
for example... if you are using DC servos with a 140 VDC max rating, make sure that you are putting 140 DC volts or less into the allin1dc motor power supply terminals.
how do create 140 VDC? to figure ac step down needed for 140 vdc rated motor.... divide by 1.414 140/1.41 = 99 volts AC is the voltage needed to produce 140 volts DC.
use a transformer rate at or above the watt rating of all three of your dc motors that will step down 110 to 99 volts. 110 goes in one side and 99 comes out the other and goes to the capboard.
you don't adjust DC voltage using the capboard. the capboard simply converts AC to DC using a bridge rectifier and capacitor. its up to you to input the proper AC voltage to end up with the DC voltage that matches your motors. put another way... you adjust the DC output by adjusting the AC input voltage to the capboard with a step down transformer.

and... if you don't step down 110 vac to a lower voltage with a transformer and put 110 vac directly into the Capboard the output of the cap board will be around 155 volts DC. this is fine.. just as long as the servo motors you are using are rated to run at or above 155 VDC.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

and thanks for posting how to flip and input with control alt i.. that is explained in the allin1dc install manual on page 23 at the top.
thanks.. please post photos of your machine and installation. best regards,Keith
Attachments
ajax.JPG
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

fyi.. link to latest allin1dc install manual.
http://www.centroidcnc.com/downloads/Ce ... manual.pdf
jonmessenger

Post by jonmessenger »

well i went out and checked my motors this morning before i went to work and they are rated for 180 Volts so i should be in good shape.
I am going to actually put together an entire video of the machine, control board, vfd wiring etc. i want to be able to give others a good resource to go to for upgrading their machines as i have not found an abundance of good info out there. it is probably due to the age and style of my Boss 5 but i find that i learn best when i can actually watch a video of the upgrade process.

The fellow i got this from did not purchase your jog control panel (unfortunately) and i am operating on a tight budget so i will probably have to make my own. are there good pin out schematics for all of the controls you offer on your control?
cnckeith

Re: Bench Check.. DC servo motor power supply

Post by cnckeith »

i put together this block diagram to demystify DC servo motor power generation and use with the Centroid Allin1Dc. see attached PDF.
Attachments
dc servo motor power supply.pdf
(666.3 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Keith,

Nice explanatory graphic.

Assuming it is generally aimed at people in North America, I recommend that you label the "wall outlet" voltage 120VAC, not 110VAC, and adjust the downstream voltages accordingly.

Nearly everywhere I have been in the US and Canada, the service voltage has been approximately 120VAC. I don't recall ever finding service that was closer to 110VAC.

Likewise, 200V-class 3-phase power is usually 240VAC leg-to-leg; occasionally 208VAC. I have never seen 220VAC or 230VAC 3-phase service in North America. 230VAC is common in Europe. 220VAC is found in parts of Asia.

The original poster has a 120VAC supply. That is why he measures 168VDC out of his rectifier.

Regarding step-down transformers: in general, anything is possible. However, the Centroid-supplied transformers, running on 120VAC, 240VAC or 480VAC (depending on the transformer) put out 85-90VAC secondary, resulting in a DC bus in the 120 - 125VDC range.