Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 50007
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Problems upgrading from CNC10 v1.02 to 2.72

Post by SEK22Hornet »

Here is where I am now. I downloaded the install image for version 2.72 and burned a 4 gb compact flash. Usind tb243 and with some help from a guy I know tha uses Linux, I was able to copy the report from my old setup to the new flash and extract it. It boots fine, but show that Demo mode has expired and no functions are turned on. I tried to follow the steps to create the unlock file, but they don't make much sense to me. I have a file named cnc10.prm, as described in step 8 of this document. It tells me to delete the existing cncm.unl.xml file and rename the cnc10.prm to cnc7.prm (I'm upgrading from cnc10 v1.02 here). Is that correct? It looks like the instructions are a mix of upgrading from cnc7 as well as earlier versions of cnc10, so I'm wondering if I really need to do this step. By the way, the command to copy the report to the card does not work, the guy I know used a card reader to manually copy the report file onto the new card for me. The extract command worked fine.
cncsnw

Re: Problems upgrading from CNC10 v1.02 to 2.72

Post by cncsnw »

Yes, you need to delete (using rm) the *.unl.xml file.
Yes, you need to rename (using mv) the prm file to be "cnc7.prm".

Then you need to cycle the power. Just rebooting is not sufficient.
SEK22Hornet
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by SEK22Hornet »

Ok - I have made some progress on the upgrade - the version 2.72 apparently does not like the Intel motherboard. I get all kinds of errors while booting up and I cannot access the floppy drive or a usb stick once booted up. Shows DEMO mode active and Permanent Unlock active, but seems to be counting down the days until the DEMO mode expires. I tried booting the flash card on an AMD AM2 motherboard, and it booted without errors, but the CNC10 would not run, since it didn't see the PCI card and CPU7, so I'm looking at a Gigabyte AMD motherboard on ebay. I think I'll upgrade the 180 watt supply to at least a 250 or 350 watt supply as well, since the newer MB uses a 24 pin power connector, so waiting on the parts to go further.
SEK22Hornet

Post by SEK22Hornet »

Replaced motherboard with an AMD based Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2. Boots up fine, everything seems to work except 2 things - the floppy drive won't read or write and I can't get it read or write to any usb stick I have. When I try to load an ICN file from the stick, it tells me that the stick is there and it shows up as a:, but the files on the stick do not show up. The floppy drive is not my first choice, if I can get it to work with the USB, that would be my preference. I have checked any bios settings to make sure that the USB is turned on in the bios - I set the usb type to 1.1 - no help. It seems odd that the usb stick name shows up but the files won't.... Any suggestions?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

To make the floppy drive work, you need to enable it in the BIOS Setup menus, and you also need to run the "install-floppy" command at a Linux command prompt.

Regarding the USB: if you plug in your USB drive; wait 10 seconds; then run the command "ls -l /cncroot" at the command prompt, what do you see in the resulting list? In particular, how are the items like "a", "b" and "c" color coded?
SEK22Hornet

Post by SEK22Hornet »

Went out to the shop and connected the floppy drive thinking that if I could get it going first I'd at least be back to where I started from. Plugged everything back in - I had already checked the bios, so I knew it was turned on and set tot he right type drive. Ran the "install-floppy" - it hesitated, gave an error message something like could not find cnc10 root and went on through a couple other quick messages. I restarted cnc10 and went to check if the drive was showing up in the restore selection and it was. I had plugged the flash drive in as well at that point and I noticed that I had both an a and b drive now, with the floppy being a and the usb stick being b. Opened the b drive and there were the files on the usb stick. for some reason it looks like the install floppy fixed both problems - Thanks for the help! Only thing now is the demo counting down, but I'm hoping that is just a normal thing. I guess I'll know in 7 more days!
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

For what it's worth, the attached screen shot shows what the results of "ls -l /cncroot" should look like in three different conditions:
1) Without floppy drive enabled or USB plugged in
2) With floppy drive enabled (but not disk in drive) and no USB plugged in
3) With floppy drive enabled (still no disk), and with USB plugged in.

Note the color difference between "c" (which is a local hard directory) and "a" and "b" (which are links).
Attachments
CNCLinuxScreenShot_cncroot.JPG
SEK22Hornet

Post by SEK22Hornet »

Thank you very much! I have been making up a notebook on this machine as I go, so I'll print that out and add it to the notebook. I will also go ahead and run it when I have a chance to see what mine looks like, just to make sure. I really didn't have time to do a thorough check the other night.