Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 50007
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Information on my controller

Post by SEK22Hornet »

I'm looking for any information that I can find that matches the controller I have. It it running the Linux version 1.02 software and, as near as I can tell, is using the SERVO3IO Drive amplifier / PLC. this is on an Ajax DM45NC mill. I am having a problem with the spindle shutting off randomly. When the spindle shuts off, there is no error message - table keeps moving until I hit the E stop. It will restart as soon as I restart the program. I have actually been able to get it to shut down while not under load. I'm reading up on the GS2 drive to see if there are any faults stored in it now. I can see how the drive is controlled but there are two small relay boards with one output wired to D14 of the drive that I'm not sure of the function of yet. Any information or manuals on this set up would be appreciated. I have not found anything on the website for anything this old. I'll write down the ID number from the software and the mill serial number in my next post later. I'm wondering if the analog speed voltage is dropping out for some reason, but I only have a few seconds to probe when it happens, so I'm still looking.
SEK22Hornet
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Re: Information on my controller

Post by SEK22Hornet »

Here is the system information that I could get from the F7 screen - Model - Uniconsole-2. Version V1.02. SysID - XBGAFAIJDFI (0729040138) Serial A138. From the tag on the CPU box Serial No. 50007. This also has the 4th axis piggy-backed on the SERVO3IO.
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Hello,

I'm looking for the schematic for that system so you can troubleshoot your wiring but in the meantime,
you can do some troubleshooting from the controller by looking at the I/O involved with spindle control as follows:

1. From the main screen, press the alt and i keys simultaneously to bring up the real-time I/O screen.
The top row of LEDS on your screen are inputs, the middle row are outputs and the bottom are memory locations.

2. Your SpindleEnable output is on OUT14 - middle row, 14th from left. To be sure you are looking at the correct location
you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move a selector box over top of the output and you'll see a label
Spindle_Enable in the bottom middle of the screen. If you manually turn your spindle on and off or use m3/m4 from
MDI, you see this toggle to green when your spindle is running and red when off.

3. Your spindle fault input, (labeled Spindle_ok) is on INP4 -top row, 4th from left. I can't tell you what color it should be
because the meaning of the state can be inverted in parameters but the important thing is that it changes states.
Make a note what color it is when you spindle is running normally.

4. When you have a problem with your spindle, try to press feedhold instead of Estop to stop axes motion because Estop will
turn off the spindle, clear all fault I/O AND clears any faults on the inverter (it resets it so you can resume running on release)
Only use feedhold in place of Estop when it's safe to do so

5. The next time your spindle stops running - Make a note of the state of OUT14 Spindle_Enable Is it still on? (green)
Is INP4 Spindle_ok still the same color as it was when it was running normally?

6. Again, without pressing Estop - look at your inverter LED display? Make an (exact) note of the display -draw it if you have to

7. Create a report.zip and post it here or email to tech@ajaxcnc.com. To create a report, Press F7 Utilities then F7-Report
and save the report to a floppy. Please send us ONLY the report.zip - as many email servers will strip the install.sh and block the email.
SEK22Hornet

Post by SEK22Hornet »

Thanks for the response. I was able to do some troubleshooting on my own yesterday, before seeing your response. I started the machine yesterday in the morning and let it run the rest of the day (idle, spindle not running). I could not make it fail at any time I tried it, running it without actually cutting. I set up the 0 locations and started to run a part. It failed about 5 minutes into the part. I was able to turn the feed rate down and go behind the machine to look at the drive - it showed STOP. I had to hit the Estop to keep the bit from hitting the part, so I could not take any measurements. I wired a switch in parallel to the forward input on the drive and restarted the program. It failed again in a couple minutes. Flipping the switch to manually over-ride the controller did not restart the drive. I could see that the drive was flashing STOP and RUN lights alternately. I again had to hit the Estop. I programmed the drive to control the speed by the pot on the drive. After restarting the program, the part ran to a point and stopped again. I flipped the switch I had wired in and the drive came back on and the spindle kept running. I was able to measure the voltage on the 0-10 volt input and it was at 0, which I assume the drive was seeing as a stop command. After the program completed, I started another part and it ran fine. I ran 6 parts (about 8 minutes per part), it never failed (speed being controlled by the pot on the drive, controller controlling the start / stop). It finally did fail, but switching my manual override switch in kept it running. So - my conclusion is that I'm losing both the speed control voltage and the Forward control signal, probably due to vibration. Does the report need to be ran at the time of failure? I will go down today and set up for another operation and run the report first thing. I'm assuming the monitor will work while the machine is in operation. I removed the 4th axis from the top of the servo drive cover and it is the control board I thought it was, according to the label on the top of the plate (SERVO3IO).
SEK22Hornet

Post by SEK22Hornet »

Machine is behaving itself right now, so I guess I'l keep my hand on the E stop for a while and just go ahead and use it until it misbehaves again. I sent a report via email quite a while back and have never received any feedback on it and obviously no more responses on this thread, so I guess I will go on to my next project and see if i can upgrade to a newer version of software.