machinistryoung
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Carousel spins non-stop

Post by machinistryoung »

These are the pictures from inside the cabinet. If a more specific image is needed, or I'm looking in the wrong place, please let me know.
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Try to issue an M18 from MDI - If you can manually index the carousel with the keys, move it to position1 before issuing the M18.

Does that fix it?
machinistryoung

This did not work. The machine still says waiting for input #23 and #31. Will not go away until I cancel the tool change cycle.
machinistryoung

If someone could explain how to manually change the inputs, that would allow us to fix this problem.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

This is going to be more challenging, and require more depth, than you can reasonably expect for free on a forum.

I don't know if I would call your machine a "hobby" machine, or conclude that it is unserviceable. I suppose that depends on what kind of machine it is.

The control was not built by the Centroid factory. It does appear to have been assembled by someone who knew what they were doing. If you can find out who that person was, perhaps you could obtain copies of the PLC programs (with documentation) and maybe wiring diagrams as well.

Parts of the PLC logic will be running in two or three different places. One component, compiled to the file C:\CNC7\CNC7.PLC, runs on the Centroid CPU7 board. Another component runs on the Koyo DL205 PLC unit. That Koyo program probably handles all the real work of the tool changer and other devices. The CPU7 component will just manage communications between the CNC program, the jog panel, the 3/3 PLC board, and the Koyo PLC. If you have CNC7 version 8.00 or newer software, and there exists on your control computer a file named C:\PLC\PC.PLC, then some additional PLC logic is also being executed on the PC processor, in a memory-resident interpreter launched from PCPLC.EXE. If that component exists on your system, it is possible that it (not the Koyo) is handling the majority of the tool changer logic.

The one or two programs which run in Centroid hardware and software (CNC7.PLC and PC.PLC) are compiled from source files which are themselves probably stored in the C:\PLC directory on your system, and therefore available to browse.

The Koyo program resides on the Koyo CPU. If you have the DirectSoft software from Automation Direct, and the appropriate RS232 cable, you can connect to the DL240 CPU and download the ladder. However, you would not have the program documentation (labels), and therefore would find it very difficult to interpret the logic. At best you could compare it to known programs (such as Centroid's ATC3 and ATC6 Koyo projects) to see if it is identical or at least very similar to one of those.

In order to provide any more specific pointers, I, and I am sure the other technicians who watch this forum, would need to know a little more about what you have.

What is the make and model of the machine tool?
What does it look like?
What does its tool changer look like?
Do you know who installed the control onto the machine?
What is the Centroid or Ajax control serial number?
If no serial number is evident, what is the code displayed when you press F2 (or Alt-F2) on the Machine Parameters screen?
What is your CNC7 software version?
What source file, if any, is named in comments on the first few lines of the C:\CNC7\CNC7.PLC file?
Is there a copy of that file to be found in the C:\PLC directory?

The answers to your basic questions (why it spins non-stop, and how to fix it) depend very much on what the PLC logic is. There are a lot of different PLC programs out there, which handle tool numbers and carousel rotation differently. Yours may be one of half a dozen more-or-less standard programs provided by Centroid over the years, or it may be something totally custom that was put together by the installer. Until we know what PLC programs you are running, we can't help you solve the problem.

Good luck.