bonestock
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Thermwood 5 axis retrofit inquiry

Post by bonestock »

I'm exploring a possible retrofit to a Thermwood model 67 5 axis router. I just wanted to confirm that there wouldn't be any issues with the way the head articulates and configuration in the centroid control. My only prior experience with the Centroid/MPU11 retrofit was 3 axis and that was pretty straight forward. The Thermwood chassis I'm looking at will require all new servos and a spindle so interoperability isn't going to be a problem.
cncsnw

Re: Thermwood 5 axis retrofit inquiry

Post by cncsnw »

The Centroid control is capable of controlling five axes.

If you want to move five axes in simultaneous motion, you will need to purchase that as a software option (and complete paperwork certifying that you will not be exporting the machine to Iran or North Korea).

The Centroid control does not do any of the work of calculating five-axis toolpaths based on your machine geometry. That task is left to your CAD/CAM software and its postprocessor.

The Centroid control does not do RTCP (rotation tool center point) calculations. If linear+rotary axis movement needs to be pro-rated in a non-linear fashion in order to make the tool trip travel in a straight line through space, then your CAD/CAM software will need to break the move into many short moves, as needed to keep the off-path error within your specified tolerance.
bonestock
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Thermwood 5 axis retrofit inquiry

Post by bonestock »

Thank you CNCSNW. Makes perfect sense. I'm not sure why I didn't realize that the movement and articulation would actually be more of a function of my CAM. It's obvious now.