Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900370
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

5.5.2 ALLIN1DC TESTING

Post by sjowen »

Hello,
In the ALLIN1DC Mill Installation manual at 5.5.2 "Wire your Estop input as shown" with 12VDC - the schematics states: "For 5 and 12VDC inputs the power supply for the ALLIN1DC drive can be used"

My question is where and what is the best way to access the 12VDC on the ALLIN1DC drive - or- is it best to use a stand alone 12VDC transformer for this?

Thanks!
Centroid_Liviu
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: 5.5.2 ALLIN1DC TESTING

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

The ALLIN1DC itself is powered by a standard ATX power supply. Both 5 and 12VDC are available off of it. A stand-alone power supply is usually only needed if you wish to use 24VDC.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
sjowen

Post by sjowen »

Thanks for the reply - where do I tap into the 12 VDC?

Maybe its obvious and I just don't know enough to find it,sorry.
bloomingtonmike
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0916130849

Post by bloomingtonmike »

Coming off the ATX power supply you have a number of power connectors. Measure with a volt meter set to DC. Yellow is typically 12V+ and Black is ground. Red is 5V+.
Mikie in Bloomington IL
sjowen

Post by sjowen »

Thanks Mike! I finally realized the power supply was on the main schematic print and I see it now.

I can make just about anything I want out as far as machining but electronics makes me scratch my head, but I'm learning.

Trying to get over that sickening gut feeling I screwed up buying this thing! But I think things will work out.
Centroid_Liviu
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

The Ajax Tech Support Team tried to respond to all posts with-in 1 business day at most, and there are also many knowledgeable people on here who help out a lot as well. If you need you can also email us tech@ajaxcnc.com or call us directly at 814-353-9256 ext 4 for immediate assistance.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
bloomingtonmike
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0916130849

Post by bloomingtonmike »

I ask a ton of questions too and I know your feeling for sure. Lots of people here to help get you (us) through whatever!
Mikie in Bloomington IL
AMDlloydsp
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0605130770

Post by AMDlloydsp »

sjowen wrote:Thanks Mike! I finally realized the power supply was on the main schematic print and I see it now.

I can make just about anything I want out as far as machining but electronics makes me scratch my head, but I'm learning.

Trying to get over that sickening gut feeling I screwed up buying this thing! But I think things will work out.
-----------------------

You needn't feel that way. I am an electronics guy turned machinist. Back in the late 80's, I built my own first mill from scratch from my own designs, before I ever knew you could buy 'packaged solutions'. I used reel-to-reel computer tape drive reel motors for drives! I even wrote my own control, based on the Z80 microprocessor. (it was SLooooooooowwwwww! <G>)

The Ajax/Centroid package is a good control at a good price. You didn't make a mistake buying it.

Lloyd
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Let me start off by saying:

It is ALWAYS a better idea to use a standalone power supply for your I/O.

That said, if your current requirements are modest, it is often acceptable to use the 5VDC or 12VDC avaialble on the ATX power supply connected to the ALLIN1DC. The easiest way to access 5VDC or 12VDC is on one of the spare 4 pin inline molex connectors coming off the ATX power supply.
Red to Black is 5VDC, Yellow to Black is 12VDC .

As a rule of thumb, I'd suggest roughly a 100ma limit for any I/O device connected to the PC power supply. If auxiliary I/O devices such as a 16/16 are added, I'd suggest all I/O connected to the 16/16 use a standalone PS.