jshank
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Control Cabinet layout

Post by jshank »

Are there any suggestions on control cabinet layout? I have seen panel layouts in the Ajax CNC manual but there is no mention of a location for a VFD. Are there any problems with locating a VFD inside of the control cabinet?
bloomingtonmike
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0916130849
CNC11: Yes

Re: Control Cabinet layout

Post by bloomingtonmike »

Here is how I laid my setup out. VFDs are supposed to be enclosed and the VFD you choose will have guidelines on proper clearance for airflow.

Mikie in Bloomington IL
jshank
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No

Post by jshank »

Mike,
Thanks for the picture of you control panel layout.

The control box I am using is for a bridgeport boss machine and it is quite large.
Do you see any problem locating the CPU in the box?
Where is your CPU located.

Thanks
Jeff
bloomingtonmike

I built a gigabyte brix computer. It is only 4x4x1 and is an i3 3227 chip, 16gig , 1gb nic and a wireless nic, hdmi and mini display out, and128gb ssd. It is in my monitor cabinet and can even hang on the versa mount of the touchscreen. All I have is the network cable runing back to the allinonedc.
Mikie in Bloomington IL
bloomingtonmike

Here it is in a temp spot in the lower left of my monitor cabinet

Mikie in Bloomington IL
cnckeith
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Mike,

Nice shots thanks for posting.

Hank,

Putting the PC inside the cabinet is fine as long as you have some sort of Fan with a filter blowing into the cabinet with a vent for exhaust near the top. Always have the fan blowing INTO the cabinet, to provide positive pressure which keeps dirt, chips and dust out of the electrical cabinet. A common place to mount the fan is in the door near the transformer mounting location.

In general , if it can be avoided , don't mount the PC directly above a large Transformer which generate heat, heat rises and will go right into the PC. In mike's photo above his inverter is right above the transformers which probably will be ok if there is good airflow..but should be avoided if possible. (most inverter manuals have good clearance and mounting instructions that you can reference. )
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
sandcrab123

Post by sandcrab123 »

I did a conversion on a Comet Mill about three years ago. Here is a link to a video I posted on Youtube. There is also a video on the old Fanuc M10 system I ripped out. As an interesting side note, I sold most of the old Fanuc hardware and more than recovered the cost of my initial investment of the machine and Ajax controller. I have used this machine quite extensibly to make parts in my home shop (see also video of it making parts). I have a little glitch right now with my Mach 3 software. I am losing the connection to the ethernet when I'm jogging to zero the machine. It's frustrating as hell, but it doesn't effect the running of my gcode programs. I did get some help from Scott last year, but then he disappeared of the face of the earth again! I think he has a cottage on some exotic island and goes there when the pressure is on! Sad thing is I really like the guy. Enjoy. :lol: I don't visit very often so if you have any questions or comments please PM me directly or leave comments on youtube.

Dan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnNWaGxSVUY