pablocnc
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 511100195
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

**RESOLVED** Bridgeport retrofit questions

Post by pablocnc »

My machine is a Bridgeport Textron SERIES II, INTERTACT 2, 1982 with code No. 11010200, the motor of spindle is a U.S.electrical motors of 2HPs of power.
Control of axles is haidenhain TNC145 with drivers bosch Z15-1-240V.
the motors are SEM MT30R4-58.
I need to work in my machine with stell with low porcentage of carbono (7210) and I need to work with 4 axles (rotary table).

I review the website, and i agree with the cost and i want the encoders for my motors and the ajax sistem for the machine, I want to work with mach3 software.

Please I need your help to connect the system in the machine, and the program the plc.
diycncscott

Re: The retrofit kit to bridgeport

Post by diycncscott »

Hello Pablo,

How can I help you? Did you have a specific question in mind that I can answer?

Your machine is a very good candidate for retrofit because you can you use our DC3IOB kit and re-use your existing servo motors. You will need to replace your encoders but they are affordable ($135.00 each) - our new encoders will have 8x the resolution that your existing encoders have. See here for encoder information: http://ajaxcnc.com/ajaxbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4

For information on purchasing encoders, see here: http://ajaxcnc.com/cnc_components.htm

If you give me the "terminal voltage" (or max volt) from the motor nameplate, I can tell you if can keep the existing servo power supply.

Regards

Scott
pablocnc

Post by pablocnc »

Friend Scott,

Thanks for your response, I bougth the mach3 kits and the encoders, I am in Ecuador with my supplyes, I am cheking the documents for begining the retrofit process, my question is: The encoders are correct to SEM motors with the voltage of 145V (servo motr´s date)?. Please I need to connect the milling machine now, buy I am Mechanical engineer but I want connect the machine with my hands, because I have the knowledge for doing, i need that you send me the complete information for trying to finish all the instalation process..

Please also i have another question, What is the spindle drive in the pdf diagram??, I understand the connection for spindle contactor, but i need help for spindle drive, Is it in my milling machine???

Thanks for your soon answer...

Regards

Pablo
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

Pablo,

The spindle drive interfaces with the control to run your spindle motor. It uses an enable signal and a 0-10VDC analog voltage to run your spindle motor at a specific speed. So instead of using FWD/REV contactors to turn your spindle on and off. You can turn it on and off and tell it what speed to run at.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
pablocnc

Post by pablocnc »

Thanks for your response, but my question is: Where is the spindle drive in the milling machine?, or this component i have to purchease?... because i have diagrams that show how to conect it, but i don´t know what is the spindle drive....

Regards

Pablo
CNCguy
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No

Post by CNCguy »

Modern spindle motors are three phase induction motors (3 wires, no magnets)
You wrote> ", but my question is: Where is the spindle drive in the milling machine?, or this component i have to purchease?..."

There are two methods to control a spindle motor:
#1 The simplest way (the old way) is to use a 3phase contactor, ( a contactor is a heavy current relay), of sufficient current amperage rating.
The contactor starts and stops the high voltage (typically approx 220 VAC) and is controlled by a smaller amperage coil.
The Contactor method does not provide electronic speed control, only start/ stop and with a set of reversing contactors, the ability to reverse direction. The motor runs at the constant rated speed determined by the 60hz or 50hz voltage available.

#2 Modern cnc machines use spindle drives or inverters to command motor speed and acceleration. A "spindle drive" or inverter is a commonly available electronic motor control (a box) which takes in 60hz or 50 hz and outputs a controlled varying frequency to the motor. The spindle drive itself is commanded typically by +/- zero to 10V signal. Yes you have to purchase the spindle drive,
Automation Direct sells spindle drives a.k.a inverters a.k.a. motor controllers
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Sho ... 9/GS2-23P0 , they have a Spanish version of their site.

On other matters , you wrote > ", my question is: The encoders are correct to SEM motors with the voltage of 145V (servo motr´s date)?" I hope you don't mean that you are going to connect 145V to the encoders. Encoders are typically 5Vdc devices and would be destroyed by 145V. The 145V rating that you see is probably the rated voltage of a DC SEM motor, the motor power connections.

Have you considered hiring someone experienced to hook up your system?
pablocnc

Post by pablocnc »

Thanks for your answer,
I don´t speak a good english, You didn´t undestand me good

i only wrote the motors voltage, because scott say: "f you give me the "terminal voltage" (or max volt) from the motor nameplate, I can tell you if can keep the existing servo power supply", but the encoder connections is with the DB9 terminal and later connect in the MPU11.. Is it ok?..

But the description was correct, i undestood about spindle drive...

I am a mechanical engineer, buy i need a little help to connect the system, for example i undestand the diagrams to connect spindle, but i don´t undestand where connect the " power for revesing contactor coils ", if with the connection of pdf diagram i have a forward and reversing rotation.

i adjunt the diagram, with the explication....

Thanks
Attachments
Where is the specifical location for connecting power for reversing contactors coils
Where is the specifical location for connecting power for reversing contactors coils
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

That is where you hook up the supply of whatever voltage your contactor coils require.

For example, if you use reversing contactors that have 24VAC coils, then you would connect 24VAC where the diagram shows "power for reversing contactor coils".

If you use contactors that have 120VAC coils, then you would connect 120VAC there (usually connecting the hot leg through the E-stop contactor and DC3IOB relay, and connecting the neutral leg to the contactor through the normally-closed contact of the overload relay).

If you use contactors that have 24VDC coils, then you would connect a 24VDC supply there.
pablocnc

Post by pablocnc »

Thanks, I understand now all the connection of spindle, I am starting with the installation of new system (AJAX CNC control), but i have some questions, i hope that you can help me...

1.- I have two voltage in the out later of 110V, the first is 24 VCA and the second is 83VCA, but in the 24VCA line, Do i have hook a emifilter?, i don´t have emifilter, Do i construct emifilter?

2.- In the second line (83VCA) i have rectify the signal to 110VDC, How i can to get 110VDC? if i don´t have optional part.
Attachments
transformador.jpg
cncsnw

Re: Bridgeport retrofit questions

Post by cncsnw »

You probably don't need the EMI filter in the 24VAC lines.

You could build your own rectifier to make 110VDC out of 83VAC, but you would be better off buying the unit from Ajax: "Capacitor & Bridge Combo", USD $89.