**RESOLVED** Struggling with mpu11+GPIO4D basics

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

bezelchuck

**RESOLVED** Struggling with mpu11+GPIO4D basics

Post by bezelchuck »

Hi All
I just recieved my MPU11 and GPIO4D kit with centroid control upgrade and am struggling with some real basics, I hope you may be able to help.

My questions are as follows:

1, The users manual on the disc seems to relate to mach3 and not the centroid software and the section of the Ajax site for MPU11/ CNC11
documentation only seems to contain files for CNC10/ cpu10 setups. Is there one related to CNC11 yet?

2, My control came with a 4gb flash drive which presumably has the centroid upgrade on it. Does this contain an operating system? If not do I need windows or
linux? If linux which version? I'd prefer it to be on a linux based system.

My apologies if these questions have already been covered.

I'm waiting for a few more pc components to arrive before I can play about much. The machine is a large hurco bmc and I'm integrating a 4th/5th axis trunnion table (tsudakoma tnrc 301),I'll have to add an optic4 card later for the trunnion table. I've pretty much sussed the yaskawa analogue drive cards out and the spindle drive doesn't look too scarey either. A lot of the estop circuit relays were built onto a pcb thats not going to be reused so that'll need redesigning and I'm not even going to think about the toolchanger yet.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Phil B
cncsnw

Re: Struggling with mpu11+GPIO4D basics

Post by cncsnw »

The flash drive should contain a complete, bootable system (Linux plus the CNC11 software). You will need to plug it into the IDE controller on your computer, and use the BIOS Setup utility to Disable any on-chip SATA controller.

From what I have seen, user manuals, and especially installation manuals, for the system are still lacking. In general outline, the CNC10 operator's manual is applicable.
bezelchuck

Post by bezelchuck »

Hi
Many thanks for the reply.

My next question is how much graphics performance is needed by the control. Will a graphics card be needed or will onboard graphics do the trick?

My PC should be running on monday so I'll be able to get started with my installation.

Cheers
Phil
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Hi Phil,

The onboard graphics on a new motherboard should be fine. If you have an older motherboard it might be worth purchasing a dedicated video card for $30 from Newegg or someplace else (I'd recommend an NVIDIA chipset when purchasing a cheap video card)
bezelchuck

Post by bezelchuck »

Hi

The pc is built and fires up and all boards are in the electrical cabinet. I tried to boot the pc from the flash drive and am getting an error. It goes like this:

Uncompressing linux Ok booting kernel
Installing processor
Installing Fan
Installing Thermal
Installing PCMCIA
Installing ide-disk
Installing ide-generic
Installing ide-CD
Installing ide-floppy
Installing ide-tape
Waiting for device /dev/root to appear
60 59 58 57 *and so on counting down 1 minute*
Sh
Sh: no job control in this shell

and then no further progress.

Any ideas? Where would I start to look to find answers?

The pc is a gigabyte ga p35 s3g, 2gb kingston DDR2 hyperx pc8500 (2x 1gb sticks), intel core2 quad 2.5gb q8300, geforce 8400 gs pcie graphics card. I had to use a graphics card in the end as the motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics which I'd not spotted when I asked previous question.
The onboard sata is already disabled in bios.

Thanks for any help
Phil
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Phil,

For now:

Make sure the the flash card the only IDE device in the computer.

Make sure the IDE reader is plugged into IDE0

Does the BIOS recognize the flashcard?

There is a jumper on the reader, make sure it is on the two pins closest to the IDE ribbon cable.
bezelchuck

Post by bezelchuck »

Hi Scott
Thanks for the help.
The motherboard only has one IDE slot to plug into and there are no other IDE devices, in bios the flashcard is recognised and is on IDE channel 4 and the jumper on the card reader is in the correct place. Keyboard is working fine. I've been trawling the web but not finding many answers.
Any thoughts on a next move?
Cheers
Phil
bezelchuck

Post by bezelchuck »

Hi all
As an experiment I've just replaced the flash drive with a known hard drive with windows XP and mach3 and that boots up fine so the computer hardware is running ok. So it's either a config issue or the SSD/reader.
Any more ideas?
Cheers
Phil
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

Phil,

I would suggest plugging the SSHD into another PC and see if it will boot up to the Start Menu. I know the SSHD was hooked up and tested with your control. Also make you use the 80 strand IDE cable that was supplied with the kit.

On a side note take a picture of your Standard CMOS setup page in the Bios and email it to me at tech@ajaxcnc.com

Thanks,

Ajax_tech
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
bezelchuck

Post by bezelchuck »

Hi all
Thanks for the advice. I've now successfully booted the SSHD on another PC as suggested(AMD unit ) so its to do with my PC. I'll investigate why but I might just change it as it needs a graphics card which is a pain as I'm installing the motherboard straight into the electrical enclosure rather than a PC case so brackets are needed to support PCI cards at present.
I'd like to thank Scott and the team for this new forum. It's working really well in helping me out with my first retrofit and I'm sure it will become a valuable sourse of answers to problems both new and old.
Cheers
Phil