**RESOLVED** what comes first????

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

rppman

**RESOLVED** what comes first????

Post by rppman »

So I am about ready to power up for the first time and I am wondering if I missed anything. It would be nice if some of the experts could put together a list of steps to take in certain order. A example is like; 1. Download mach 3. 2. Configure mach 3 per instruction manual. 4 download post processor for your machine and configure. 4 power up machine, mpu11, dc310. 5. Tune the machine per mach 3 manual. Ect. Ect.
I am not asking for a lot of details, just certain steps (in order) than need to be taken. Thanks for any help anyone can provide. Scott
diycncscott

Re: what comes first????

Post by diycncscott »

Rppman,

A word about: When installing your system, do not take shortcuts. It is VERY important that you follow the instructions and do the installation and testing in stages. Doing things incrementally and testing as you go will allow you to immediately isolate the cause of any problems that you may run into.

1. Make sure you received everything you were supposed to. See post: I just got my MPU11/DC3IOB System -Now What?
http://www.ajaxcnc.com/ajaxbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6

2. Connect the major components together on your desktop with your PC as depicted below. DO NOT CONNECT MOTOR POWER AT THIS POINT The only connections that should be made are:
a) The 110VAC from the power strip to the DC3IOB PC power supply
b) 110VAC from the powerstrip to the MPU11 power supply
c) The digital power cable from the MPU11 power supply to the MPU11
d) CAT5 network cable from the PC to the MPU11
e) Fiber optic cables (4) from the DC3IOB to the MPU11

IMPORTANT: Make sure the components are on a non-conductive surface and that you use a powerstrip so that your PC, DC3IOB and MPU11 are all powered simultaneously:
desktop_connection.jpg
DC3IOB System Interconnect Diagram.gif
Download pdf here:

Download the pdf here:
DC3IOB System Interconnect Diagram.pdf
(33.19 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
3. Power up. Install Mach3 in the default location.
Default install.jpg
Don't install the parallel port drivers
mach packages.gif
No Custom profile is needed, the Ajax plugin install will create it's own
Mach profile.gif
4. Install the Mach plugin. Let the CD autorun or manually run setup-mach-ajax-v1.xxx.exe.

At this time, only select the default brains. if you have a jog pendant, mpg, 4th axis etc... we will install those later
Defualt Brains.png
Make sure you allow the installer to set the IP address (10.168.0.41) of the adaptor in your PC or it won't be
able to see the MPU11. NOTE: If you have more than 1 network adaptor installed - select the adaptor with the
IP adddress that begins with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx as shown below
Adaptor select.png

5. Start Mach from the Ajax-plugin shortcut that was created on your desktop during the plugin install.
You should see "Ajax Hardware detected" in the bottom left of the Mach screen. Once you see this message, click the reset button.
Hardware detected.gif
6. Temporarily disable encoder errors:
Because no encoders are connected, the hardware will issue an encoder error and fault. Disable the encoder error as follows:

Select Config from the top menu in Mach, when the plugin popup windows comes up, select the yellow CONFIG box next to AjaxPlugin:
config encoder errors.gif
This brings up the AjaxPlugin configuration screen. Changing the value in "Stop on Encoder Error" from 1 to 0 will prevent a fault from being generated while we test without the encoders connected, leave the "Message on Encoder Error" value set to 1. This will issue a warning message on the screen to remind us that the encoders are not connected but it won't trugger any faults:
Change encoder error.gif

7. Confirming PLC communications:
Go into "Diagnostics" (alt-f7) And test the limit inputs by changing the state of the switch defeaters:
Pushing them down will open the switch, up will defeat them (close) You should also test the other I/O on
H20 & H21 by jumping the inputs to input common on the same headers.
defeatDIPS.jpg
defeatDIPS.jpg (77.74 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
Testing I/O:
I/O in operational state: All limit and estop inputs are closed, user has clicked on the reset button to clear pre-exisitng faults:
NOTE: For the limit switch inputs, pulling up the X+, X-, Y+, Y-, Z+ & Z- Limit DIP Switches is electrically equivalent to installing the jumpers. The Estop input will still require a physical jumper.
I_O states -operational.gif
I_O jumpered.jpg
Trip the X- Limit by removing the X- jumper or push down the X- DIP Switch: (Use ONLY the Limit DIP Switches OR jumpers when testing limit switches, not both)

X- limit tripped -note that the enable is removed from the X axis whent he limit is detected. Test the rest of your limit inputs in the same manner. Remember, any unused limit inputs MUST be permanently jumpered or defeated using the appropriate Limit DIP Switch. See here for further information: http://www.ajaxcnc.com/ajaxbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17
x-limit tripped.gif

Estop testing:
Remove the jumper from the Estop input. Notice that the big "Reset" button in the bottom left of the Mach screen and the "Emergency" input begins flashing. Now put the jumper back on - the "Emergeny" input will stop flashing immediately indicating that the physical input has been closed but the "Reset" button will continue to flash until clicked by the user to explicitly clear the fault condition.
Estop flashing.gif

Test the "Drive Fault Relay Out" on H17 on the DC3IOB. When the Estop jumper is connected, the limits are defeated and "Reset" has been clicked to clear any faults, you should have continuity between the two "Drive Fault Relay" terminals on H17. When the jumper is removed, the "Drive Fault Relay" will open. NOTE: To be sure the probes are making good contact, insert the probes into the terminals indicated by the arrows below and tighten the screw terminal. Just probing the screws from the top is not likely to provide a reliable connection between the probes and the DC3IOB.
H17.jpg

8. If you have encoder cables that can reach, shutdown the PC, power off the power strip. Connect your encoders and then power up. You should now be able see the encoder update in Mach when you rotate the encoders/motors by hand.
DRO.gif

9. Once you have confirmed that the software was installed correctly, everything is communicating and the I/O is updating, dis-assemble the components.
10. Mount the major components in your cabinet. Start with the transformer on the bottom (it's heavy) and the cap & bridge (the DC3IOB will mount on top of this to save space and helps keep the distance short when routing high power (DC motor power):
Panel-start.jpg
Add the DC3IO:
panel-dc3iob.jpg
Add the MPU11:
panel-mpu11.jpg
11. Connect the major components as depicted in the DC3IOB System Interconnect Diagram above. Power up and confirm communications and that I/O is updating just as you had in steps 7 & 8... Now that all the major components are mounted, under power and confirmed operational, we can move on to wiring the subsystems.

12. Subsystem wiring
Just as we noted at the start of the installation it is important that the subsystems be installed incrementally. Installing "everything at once" may seem like the fastest way to get from point A to point B in the installation process but it will only cost you time -and possibly money- in the long run. Installing and testing your subsystems in stages will allow you to quickly identify wiring mistakes and, we hope, prevent damage to your components and/or machine.

The order of installation of the subsystems will be:
a) Limit switches and Estop switch
b) Estop contactor (Coil voltage only)
c) Encoders
d) Spindle Contactors or Inverter (VFD)
e) Lube pump (if applicable)
f) Coolant pump (if applicable)

a) Wiring Limit switches and Estop:
On a DC3IOB system, the Estop and limit switches must be normally closed, contact closure type devices. (Electrically, each device must be the equivalent of a normally closed simple switch). Power off your system and install your Estop and limit switches as described in the diagrams below:

Limit switch wiring (Remember, all unused limit switch input must be defeated - if you will not be using a limit switch on an axis, defeat it now.)
See here to defeat your unused limit inputs:http://www.ajaxcnc.com/ajaxbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17
limit switches.gif
Estop switch PLC input wiring (We will wire the second set of contacts later)
Estop PLC Input Circuit.gif
Estop switch on pendant PLC input wiring
Pendant Estop PLC input.gif
Power up and test the estop and each limit switch that you installed. If you have defeated any of the limits, confirm that they are defeated. See step 7 above for testing procedure. When testing is complete, power off the system and procede to the Estop contactor wiring.

b) Estop contactor wiring (Coil voltage only)
When wiring your Estop contactor (or any other device with a coil such as relays, contactors and solenoids), it is critical some type of noise/arc suppression snubber) be used. If your are re-using existing contactors it is very likely that there is already some type of noise suppression installed but check to be sure. For AC contactors, the older noise suppressors often will be a paper or foil tube with two wires coming out which are wired across the contactor coil (usually labled A1 & A2). For DC contactors, there should be a reverse bias diode across the coil. AjaxCNC sells Quencharcs for this purpose for $3 - see here:
http://www.ajaxcnc.com/cnc_components.htm#Quencharc

Note: The diagram below shows an Estop contactor with a 24VAC coil, your estop contactor coil may require a different AC or DC voltage. Generally the base of your contactor will be marked to indicate what the coil voltage should be. If your coil voltage is not 24VAC, simply substitute your supply voltage for the supply voltage displayed in the diagram below.
Estop contactor coil circuit.gif
13. Machine Configuration
a) Direction reversal
b) Turns ratios (Steps per unit)
c)
rppman

Post by rppman »

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I look forward to the rest of the instructions but that will get me going.
I noticed you said to make sure that none of the componets are on a conductive surface and I am guessing you said that because the mpu11 has open board that could contact and short. But once you mount the mpu11 should you use conductive spacers so it grounds to the dc310b frame which is grounded to the structure? I just figurred the mpu11 needed a earth ground because all the mounting holes on the underside have a conductive strip that connects all the holes together. I have mounted my mpu11 under my dc310b with plastic spacers. I then ran a ground wire from one of the mounts to the metal cabnit. Should I remove this ground wire? Or leave it? Thanks
PaulIngram
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: Multiple
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by PaulIngram »

This is a really useful thread.

Maybe it would be worth making it sticky so it stays near the top.

Justt a thought.

Paul
CNCguy
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by CNCguy »

The latest information can be found at : (and it's "sticky" ;)

Install Manuals - MPU11 Based Systems- Mach & CNC11

Postby ajaxscott » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:03 am

Ajax MPU11/DC3IOB Windows XP Installation manual - Mach3 Software option
http://www.ajaxcnc.com/tech/downloads/m ... ach3_winxp