Yes, you can do that. You need to:I am trying to enable a 4th DRO that is on the z axis.
I want to be able to use the ez-trax linear scale for the Z axis when doing manual milling.
Now I have the Z axis wired to the motors encoder and its working well, but if you manually bring down the quill there is no DRO for that.
Ive got the ez-trax encoder working with the line driver chip but its counts are to low to tune the axis smoothly, I just want to use it as a readout only, can I do this?
1) Connect the scale encoder to any unused encoder input
2) Map that input to an axis number
3) Give that axis the label "M"
4) Set the counts per inch
For example, to set up your scale as a manual axis #4, using encoder input #4:
1) Connect the scale encoder to input #4 on the MPU11 or All-in-one.
2) On the Machine Parameters tables, set Machine Parameter number 311 to a value of 4.0
3) On the Machine Configuration -> Motor Parameters table, set the Label for axis 4 to "M"
4) On the same table, set Motor Revs/Inch to 1.0, and set Encoder Counts/Rev to the scale's counts per inch resolution.