CRM
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900171
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Southwest Industries Prototrak DPM conversion

Post by CRM »

I wish I could say I'm making big progress, but the truth is that I'm rebuilding the 3/4 ton Dodge that is my winter vehicle. In all reality I won't get back to the mill until the mercury drops up here in Minnesota again. Right now there are truck parts packed in around the mill, I can't even get to it. Once the truck is put back together, I'll have room to work on the mill.
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
CRM

Post by CRM »

I would like to extend an apology to all those who were interested in following this thread/build. So much life has gotten in the way and other high priority projects have bumped this one down the list. However, I have dedicated this winter to bringing this one to a successful conclusion. Last week I started where I left off, with the mounting of limit switches. Although the trip dogs still need to be machined and mounted, I am now able to start wiring the switches back to the control cabinet. The cabinet itself still needs to be laid out, but I wanted an idea where all the cabling was going to enter from before I started.

It has literally been 6 years since I started this project and purchased the major hardware components (ALLIN1DC board, MPG, Operator pendant) and I had planned on running Mach3 software. I know there was a plugin for the Mach3 software and the successful integration to the Ajax motion control board has been done several times. Now that I am re-familiarizing myself, I have discovered that ArcSoft has transitioned to a new generation of software, Mach4, and am wondering if anyone has used it with the ALLIN1DC in a system...and if so, were there any problems?
Last edited by CRM on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
Centroid_Liviu
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

While we still support any system out there using the Mach3 Plug-in, we have since stopped sales of any new systems using Mach3. The fact that CNC11 has so many advantages (Mach3 was written for an open loop stepper system) led to most users to eventually switch to the CNC11 software anyway. I would highly recommend going with the Centroid CNC11 software but if you are dead-set on Mach 3 we will be happy to guide you through the setup.

In regards to Mach4 it was a complete re-write so nothing that worked for Mach3 will work under Mach4. Given the benefits of CNC11 we have no plans to go down the Mach4 path.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
CRM

Post by CRM »

ajaxliviu, thanks for the reply. I've been doing some heavy duty forum reading to get my head back in the game, and prior to seeing your reply, I came to the same conclusion. I've updated my profile to reflect the hardware I have.
I have a question: Do I have a system serial number on the ALLIN1DC, and if so, where do I find it? Or is that in the software? The only things I can find to identify it are 3 orange tape dots. One has "AN1" written in pen on it, next to that another that has "15 AMP" written on it, and another in a different location on the board that says on 3 separate lines "2-4-11, CAP, 253". The axis limit switch defeat selector switch is black.
Which brings me to another question: I can no longer find the CD that was sent with the system, How do I acquire a replacement?

Six years ago, I had a PC that I intended to use for the system, but now it seems stupid to use a computer that old on a build like this. So, step one is to bench test...with a computer I don't yet have. The cost at Newegg for the components suggested to build your own, plus the cost of the CNC 11 software is $25.00 less than the cost for the pre-configured cabinet mount PC Ajax offers. But funds are a bit tight, so I am going to try to find alternate (cheaper) sources for the same components.

I have one last question regarding the CNC 11 software: If I build using a touch screen, is a mouse input ever required anymore? For that matter, is a keyboard still required?
Last edited by CRM on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
Centroid_Liviu
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

Please see this post on several ways to find the system serial number or key-a number:
http://www.ajaxcnc.com/ajaxbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383

You can download the latest software directly from the website:
http://www.ajaxcnc.com/ajax-cnc-software-downloads/

Please note that version 3.06 must be downloaded and run at least once to upgrade the firmware before installing 3.16.

The majority of the software is touch enabled, and anything you can click with a mouse you can use your finger for. Typically most end-users never have a mouse hooked up. A keyboard however is still useful for quickly inputting numbers and such (you can technically use the on-screen keyboard built into Windows, but its kind of a hassle).
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
CRM

Post by CRM »

I have received my NUC computer and Windows 7 home pro has already been installed. Can I do the Windows Software Preinstallation steps outlined in Appendix B, Windows 7 preinstallation BEFORE I connect to the ALLIN1DC board? I do not have internet in the shop yet, and certain steps require an internet connection.

My thought is that once the steps in Appendix B are complete, I can download the software to a thumb drive on the computer at the house that has internet access, and then transfer them to the NUC while it is hooked to the ALLIN1DC out in the shop. If that will work, What files do I need to download for a 3 axis mill application?
If I understand correctly, I have to download:
centroid-cnc11-v306-D.zip
and
centroid-cnc11-316-D.zip
and run v306-D once with the ALLIN1 board hooked up, then v316-D
Are there any other files in addition to download? Team Viewer?

And, after running v306-D once, can I remove the zip files from the system?
One other question: Just for the bench test, can I use a short unshielded Ethernet cable? (I will be using a shielded one for the machine install, which I have not yet determined the length of)
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Dean,

There is no need to remove the (older) files - the newer files will install over top of the older files (just make sure Cnc11 is not running)
CRM

Post by CRM »

starting to work on the electrical cabinet. But I have a couple questions regarding circuit protection:
In the manual, I haven't found any reference to fusing/circuit breakers; except a 5a on the 24vac output from the transformer, and to fuse the transformer primary at 15a. Is it standard practice to fuse the power supply for the ALLIN1DC and/or the 24vdc (externally supplied) for the limit switch circuit, and if so, at what values? The only other circuits I intend to have are for the monitor/computer, the lube pump, and two air solenoids (air blast and mist coolant) Mine is an open machine and thus I will not be using flood coolant.
The lube pump was originally fused at 1 amp, and the air solenoids are 110vac @ 7 watts. Can I run them right from the relay outputs of the ALLIN1DC, or should I drive them thru cube relays?
20161223_215206.jpg
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Limit switches are inputs and pull only milli-amps. No need to fuse them.

You can drive your lube pump and most other outputs directly from the relay outputs. They are rated @ ~10A and are already appropriately fused for their labeled purpose on the ALLIN1DC board itself.
CRM

Post by CRM »

So, no need to fuse the 110vac power source to the ALLIN1DC?
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine