Southwest Industries Prototrak DPM conversion

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

diycncscott

Re: Southwest Industries Prototrak DPM conversion

Post by diycncscott »

Fusing is always a good idea. 5A should be fine (I think the PS is rated at 350W)
CRM
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900171
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by CRM »

While waiting for electronic components for the cabinet I decided to mount up the limit switches.
Still need to machine the stop ramps, mount, and adjust trigger points.
X axis:
X axis limit switches
X axis limit switches
Y axis:
Y axis limit switches
Y axis limit switches
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
CRM

Post by CRM »

I've made the mistake of working off the large wiring schematic supplied with the ALLIN1DC that I bought back in 2011. (DM 45 Mill, I believe). Now, in 2016 I'm finally working on the retrofit in earnest and have just discovered the much improved and updated schematic sets available at: http://www.ajaxcnc.com/ajax-cnc-manuals/. Anyone reading this post who's starting to wire their electrical cabinet should do themselves a favor and search the list for the variant that most closely fits their application and study it carefully to determine what components they can reuse, and what they should get sourced and on hand before they start.

In my case the S1476 mill, 220 110 VAC, ALLIN1DC, 83VAC stepdown transformer, Inverter (VFD) schematic more closely resembles my setup and I am now working from it (although it is difficult without being able to print it out on a large format printer) The ALLIN1DC individual circuit schematic set helps a lot in that case.

I have a question for the techs monitoring this forum though:
Was the mating plug for the E-stop connector from the Jog pendant I bought supposed to be included? I never got one. On the schematic it is identified as P/N 12522 (Electrical Cabinet E-Stop Connector).
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
CRM

Post by CRM »

While working on the connections between the ALLIN1DC and my Hitachi SJ200 Inverter, I encountered a question: What signal is the ALLIN1DC expecting at the ADC Com/ADC In pins? My inverter can supply a choice of either Frequency or Current output, expressed as a 0 - +10v signal, depending on the parameters set in the inverter. What does the ALLIN1DC use this signal for?
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If you configure your VFD to send 0-10VDC in proportion to output current (spindle load), and you run CNC11 v3.14 or higher, and you have a PLC program with spindle load meter features in it, then CNC11 can display a spindle load meter, as a bar graph under the spindle speed display.
CRM

Post by CRM »

Thanks CNCSNW, I had a hunch that's what a typical configuration would be. Wasn't sure if knowing frequency or current output would be the more useful feedback information.
I know the Haas I run at work looks to make sure the spindle is up to at least 80% of commanded spindle speed before it will make the next axis move, and was wondering if that was something the PLC would have been looking at. I'm assuming the addition of a spindle encoder would allow for that along with being able to enable rigid tapping. I'm not worried about any of that initially...but I'd like to have wiring in place to support it should I choose to add it in the future.
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
CRM

Post by CRM »

Question concerning limit switch wire:
There seems to be some inconsistency in the documentation regarding suitable wire for the limit switches. Shipped with my kit 6 years ago was a schematic filename "DM45.TCW" ,dated 110117 specifies in a note at the bottom by the title block:
MINIMUM 22AWG SHIELDED. ALL SHIELDS TO BE GROUNDED.
However, within the more current individual circuit schematics (filename "ALLIN1DC SET.dwg) on the print labeled ALLIN1DC LIMIT SWITCH CIRCUIT, rev3, there is no note requiring shielded wire.
I assume it is preferred to work from the latest prints (and I find the individual circuits easier to work from) so I sourced some nice 20 ga wire from work with enough colors to assign one for each switch, solid color for the signal input on H10, and white w/ colored tracer for all the switch commons...but it's not shielded twisted pair. I can make them twisted pair, but they still won't be shielded. I do intend to run the limit switch wiring in fairly close proximity to the servo and encoder cabling, so I'm looking for thoughts and opinions (or flat out declarations) on what I should do.

Oh, and if it is in fact mandatory for shielded cable, do I ground the shield at the switch, or back at the terminal strip?
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

In general practice, it is always wise to use shielded cables to minimize electrical noise causing erroneous false trips. You are correct in that the ALLIN1DC SET.dwg which depicts the individual circuit diagram does not have a note recommending the use of shielded cables, which was an oversight, while the full blown schematics do show the limit switch cables as being shielded cables. When connecting the shields of the cables, it is always recommended to connect them at the same location, which would be the terminal strip inside the electrical cabinet.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
CRM

Post by CRM »

Tough working a day job and doing this conversion at the same time. Sleep draws the short straw :( Very busy last week fabricating the control console but the finished product turned out nice. Some show and tell pics:
I designed the console in CAD and called in a favor from a co-worker to laser and bend it up. I then took it home to weld the corners and grind everything pretty. Then back to work to run it through the powdercoat paint line.
front view, control pendant
front view, control pendant
The monitor is a 17" Dell / Elo touchscreen, and I mounted the jog pendant I had bought from Ajax beside it. Sourcing a panel mount keyboard at any type of reasonable price proved impossible, so I decided to try to utilize a roll-up keyboard from Ebay for 6 bucks. I machined a backing plate to give it some structure, but haven't found any type of adhesive that will really bond the keyboard to it very well. However, the periphery is pinched between the backing plate and the console face, so it does stay put. we'll see how well it holds up.
front view, components installed
front view, components installed
Here's what it looks like from the back side. The Intel NUC is mounted back to back with the monitor VESA bracket, and I also machined a nice little clamp to hold the Display Port to VGA adapter stationary, removing any strain on that connection to the NUC. Overall, I am quite satisfied at how clean the installation turned out.
back view, components installed
back view, components installed
And, of course, the obligatory shot of the pendant mounted on the mill. Please excuse the clutter in the background; I always seem to have a dozen projects in process at any one time!
pendant installed on original mounting arm
pendant installed on original mounting arm
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
CRM

Post by CRM »

Slow, steady progress. I've gotten to the point where the electrics cabinet needed to be mounted to the mill. Chose to mount it somewhat unconventionally so the door faces the R.H. side of the machine since there is limited clearance to the back of the machine. Not sure why the uploads are rotating the pictures 90 degrees :x
electrics cabinet mounted.jpg
I have never liked the mess of cabling hanging off of many retrofitted Bridgeport-style mills. Makes it hard to clean with the chips hanging in the cable bundles and just looks "add on". I decided to make wire chaseways to tidy up and protect the cabling.
wire chaseways.jpg
Once the cabinet was mounted, I decided to shorten the excess length of the supplied cabling from the servos. I also connected the limit switch wiring, and the lube pump, spindle motor and mist coolant solenoid. Hoping to put power to it sometime next week.
electrics cabinet.jpg
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine