CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Clearpath HLFB Issue

Post by Dave_C »

Copied from Tecknic Manual;

SERVO ON
In Servo On mode, the HLFB output asserts (conducts) when ClearPath is
enabled and not in a shutdown state. This signal is often used to monitor
ClearPath for shutdowns or as the control signal for an external brake.

This is the default setting for using the HLFB as a drive fault and the Centroid Acorn drawings shows how to wire three motors so the alarms are in series.

I have done that but it I am getting drive faults when there is no drive fault. If I boot up and let everything sit idle there is no "drive fault" alarm. If I start to home the machine, the first motor starts to move and then I get a drive fault but the servo is not in fault.

I can make the same thing happen by just jogging the motor, any one of them and I get a fault.

I jump the input and everything runs as it should. The motors have been tuned and TPI is set to near perfection.

If I look at the above copied text the last line says that [in "servo on" mode the signal can be used as an external brake.] To me that means that when the motor stops the state of this output will change.

None of the other choices apply to a step and direction motor that would let me use this output just as an alarm. (as far as I can tell)

So am I missing something in the Tecknic Clearpath setup? It is not an Acorn issue because I can jump the input and run the servos any way I wish. No faults!

It is possible I suppose to have a bad cable from Teknic and I'll have to test the motors one at a time to see if I can isolate the issue if that is the issue.

I just need to know if anyone else has this working or is it a known issue?

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes

Re: Clearpath HLFB Issue

Post by Gary Campbell »

Dave...
Have you double checked that all motors have "servo on" as the HLFB setting?

Assuming you dont have enough inputs to have each one on a separate input, try conecting one at a time to see if one or all are "faulting'

You could hook them up to a relay board like I posted here, then you could tell if one or all are alarming out
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
Dave_C
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Dave_C »

Have you double checked that all motors have "servo on" as the HLFB setting?
Yes, [they do] and that was my first thought as well. Since I posted the issue I went down and rang out the Teknic cables and they all test just fine.

I'm going to do just as you suggested and wire the alarm circuits up one at a time and see what I get!

So any thought on the writing in the Teknic manual about using this output as a brake signal?

Since the motors run just fine with the alarm input jumpered, and I get no faults from the servos when I run them, I'm a bit stumped.

The Clearpath servos give a blink code if they go into fault. So far I have not seen anything but solid amber when disabled and blinking green when in ready state. According to the manual that means all system are good to go.

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Ok,

I learned something: You can't have three inputs for "drive OK" the PLC won't accept duplicate inputs from the wizard.

So I wired up one motor at a time to the "drive ok" input and just like I thought, every motor runs just fine with no faults!

Then I tried two motors and got the fault. Any two give the drive fault.

When wiring in series I did just like the drawing and start at the input which in my case is #4 and from there I go to the HLFB+ (green) terminal. Then using the HLFB - (red) terminal I wire to the next motors + (green) terminal and so on till I end up with the last - (red) terminal going to COM on acorn.

So that was my reason for asking if anyone had this working according to the drawing.

Gary, where is the schematic for the relay solution. I'm thinking that is what I will have to do. (not that I can't make my own, I just want to see what you did)

Thanks,

Dave C.
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
CNC12: Yes

Post by Gary Campbell »

GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Gary,

Looks like a good solution!

Thanks,

Dave C.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Problem Solved:
0227181904.jpg
Dave C.