**RESOLVED** encoder differential error

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

Captain Midnight

**RESOLVED** encoder differential error

Post by Captain Midnight »

When I try to activate the motors, in the CNC11 program, I get this message "encoder differential error", and my e-stop contactor relay stops closing, what should I look for to fix this?
Thanks
diycncscott

Re: encoder differential error

Post by diycncscott »

This error applies to CNC11 only and occurs under the following conditions:

1. For any axis that is displayed on the screen -labeled such as X, Y Z etc.. the encoder must be connected and wired correctly.

2. Your encoders don't meet our specifications - see here for requirements: http://www.ajaxcnc.com/ajaxbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4

3. Your encoders are connected to the wrong input on the MPU11 and/or mapped incorrectly in the CNC11 parameters 308-315

Please see the CNC11 installation manual for more information.

If you will be running Mach software, the error does not apply/exist.
Captain Midnight

I checked and:
1 The encoders are connected and wired correctly. (Rewired using the new wiring diagram)

2 Encoders meet our specifications. (I talked to Scott and he says they will work.)

3.Encoders are connected to the right input on the MPU11 (CCW gives positive DRO readings) and mapped correctly in the CNC11 parameters 308-315. (308=1,309=2,310=3)

Checked the CNC11 installation manual for more information.

If you will be running Mach software, the error does not apply/exist. (Motors run fine in Mach, but not in CNC11)

What can I try next?
Thanks
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Hi Captain,

The encoder errors you are receiving are preventing you from running in CNC11. In Mach we have given you the ability
to disable the encoder errors if they otherwise appear to be operating normally, we have not yet implemented this
feature in CNC11 but I hope to have it included in the next few weeks.

You had mentioned that I told you "your encoders met our specs". I apologize if I was not clear, but what I really said
(or meant to say) was "it appears that your encoders should be fine, but we can't tell for sure until they're connected"
This is true of any encoder that we don't supply directly. On paper, the original mfgs. specs may look
acceptable but we simply can't say for sure until they're hooked up - especially when we are dealing with 15-20 year
electronics....

At this point, you have three options:

1. Wait for the update that enables you to disable encoder errors in CNC11
2. Purchase new encoders (~$450 for 3)
3. Run Mach3

Please feel free to call me if you would like to discuss these options.

Best regards,

Scott
Captain Midnight

I'm not against buying new encoders if I need them, but is there a way to test the compatability more accurately before I dismiss them?
Thank you
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Hi Captain,

Just a heads up, your order was processed and the encoders shipped yesterday (26 Aug).

Thank you for your business