**RESOLVED** Correct motor voltage

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

Captain Midnight

**RESOLVED** Correct motor voltage

Post by Captain Midnight »

My transformer has three taps available. 110, 117, 129, volts DC. Which should I chose for a 141 volt motor?
Thanks
Last edited by Captain Midnight on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
cncsnw

Re: Corect motor voltage

Post by cncsnw »

Transformers do not output DC power.

It is conceivable that your transformer, if it was built for the dedicated purpose of feeding a DC rectifier assembly, could have labels that represent the expected DC voltage after you rectify the AC coming from that set of secondary taps. If that is the case, then you could use any of the three. Lower voltage will be easier on your drive and motors in the long run; higher voltage will allow faster rapid speeds.

If, like most transformers, your tap labels represent the AC output, then even the lowest (110VAC) will be too high (probably giving you a little over 150VDC out of your rectifier).

That assumes, of course, that you are putting in the full primary voltage. If the transformer primary is marked 240VAC and you feed it with 208VAC, then your secondary voltages will likewise be 86% of nominal. In that case you would get 95VAC out of the 110VAC secondary, and would get about 134VDC from the rectifier.

What is your primary (line) voltage?

What is the primary voltage marked on the transformer?

Do the transformer secondary taps really say "volts DC", or do they just have numbers?
Captain Midnight

My transformer has three taps available, and after rectifing them to DC, I have thee choices to use. 110, 117, 129, volts DC. Which should I chose for a 141 volt motor?
Thanks
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

Captain Midnight,

The ideal DC voltage would be the 117VDC.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
Captain Midnight

Thank you for your help.