**RESOLVED** Motor tuning

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

Captain Midnight

**RESOLVED** Motor tuning

Post by Captain Midnight »

Atempting motor tuning. G1 Y1.0 F120 Motor wants to move 4 inches instead of 1inch, and then vibrates badly. Tried all differant setting, no real changes. Same on all axis. What do you think?
cncsnw

Re: Motor tuning

Post by cncsnw »

1) What make and model servo motors are you using?

2) What encoders are you using?

3) What is the line count of your encoders? The control will count 4x as many encoder counts per turn as the encoders have lines. For example, 1024-line encoders yield 4096 counts per revolution. 2000-line encoders yield 8000 counts per revolution.

4) How many turns of your motor does it take to make each axis move one inch?

5) How do your answers to (3) and (4) compare with what you see on your Motor Parameters table (F1/Setup, F3/Config, "137", F2/Machine, F2/Motor)?

6) What are your Kp, Ki and Kd values on the PID Configuration table (F1/Setup, F3/Config, "137", F4/PID)?
Try Kp = 1.0, Ki = 0.0039, Kd = 6. Normally Kd is somewhat higher than that, but if you are trying to quiet down a buzzing motor, then a reduced Kd is a good place to start.
Captain Midnight

Motor - I.I.C. Type MT

Encoders - Dynamic Research

500 Line

10 motor turns per 1 inch of travel, matches parameters

I changed the parameters to half of their values, and now travel and DROs match.

I changed values to yours and motors are smoother.

When I try to view a graph, all I get is a straight line, with no values.

Thanks
james188

Post by james188 »

From the Centroid / Ajax demo software try running "Tune" under the PID menu.
This will let the control attempt to tune itself.
Captain Midnight

I'm running Mach3. My Ajax software expired, I don't know how to get another copy.
Captain Midnight

Anyone have an idea why, when I hit F1, it does not generate a plot? Do I need to activate a secret code or something? Has anyone else worked with this function? The page comes up, but there is no data.
rppman

Post by rppman »

I do know that if you do not hit f1 as soon as the motor stops you will not get your plot.
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Captain,

When you press F1 to plot your X motion (or F2 for Y data, F3 for Z data), it triggers a command to send the previous 2 seconds worth of data collected for the selected axis. Therefore, if you press the plot key more than two seconds after the move(s) have completed, you will get a plot of a motionless axis - a flat line.

If you email tech@ajaxcnc.com with your serial number, we'll send you a new demo code for the CNC11 software. To get your serial number, in Mach3 go to "Plug In Control" -> "Mach Ajax Plug in"
Captain Midnight

Thank you, I will try hitting plot button sooner.