Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1135
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

CNC10 update

Post by mfry »

I have a machine running CNC10 v1.51. I was going to add a drive to the computer for more storage, I started considering updating the system to 2.72 on an SSD while I'm at it since the motherboard has been replaced. I've been reading old posts here so as I understand it the procedure is essentially:

Create a report according to TB193
Upgrade the system according to TB213
Restore unlocks etc. according to TB243

Am I missing anything? The motherboard has been replaced with an ASRock P4i945GC with Celeron 2133Mhz and 1GB memory. Is this known to work or known to not work with the latest Linux CNC10 kernel? Any info about this board and either SATA or PCIe on it for the system drive?
Centroid_Tech

Re: CNC10 update

Post by Centroid_Tech »

You are correct with the exception of using TB213. If your existing system is running CNC10 v1.51, that was based on a Red Hat Linux operating system while CNC10 v2.72 is based on an OpenSuse 10.2 Linux operating system. That means that if you wish to run CNC10 v2.72, a new SSHD will be needed. You can try to build your own SSHD using TB199. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that the new SSHD with CNC10 v2.72 is going to be compatible with that particular motherboard as we have never tested that model motherboard. If you would like, the attached tech bulletin shows all of the various motherboards that we have used with various software versions. The only way to verify that motherboard will work for you is going to be to have you hook everything up and verifying that it works. If you are unable to successfully build your own SSHD, we can build one for you for $425. We do ask that you provide us with a current report from your system as well as a copy of your part programs so that we can load them onto the new SSHD. Another option would be to have us issue you an RMA to send us that PC so that we can verify that everything will function correctly.
Attachments
218 Console Component Changes.pdf
(27.93 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
199 Create Linux FC.pdf
(101.11 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
mfry
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by mfry »

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'm comfortable with the risk of components that may or not work. I may well replace the motherboard as well. The USB doesn't work on it and I have it apart anyway trying to fix the monitor. So looking at the more modern boards I see several of the require version 2.73 to work. Is there a way I can download that?
mfry

Post by mfry »

So I'm having trouble making a 2.72 SSD. Tried 3 ways:
1st according to tb199, I Burned a CD with the iso, booted to it, while booting it said it couldn't find the install disk, couldn't fine ide drive. I this is on a laptop, BTW.
2:Tried with the iso on a USB stick in the computer in the machine, same thing. (ssd is visible to bios, it's the install CD on IDE bus it can't find each time)
3:Mounted the iso in windows, ran autorun and installed to the SSD (formatted already with an active ext3 partition) files look like they're all there but when I boot from it it says no operating system found.

Am I going to actually have to find a computer old enough to have an actual IDE bus for this to work? SATA bus won't work? Or have I just not correctly made the SSD bootable in case #3?
rl49
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: K2019,K1110

Post by rl49 »

I had the same problems going from dos cnc7 8.23 to Linux cnc10 2.36 I had to get an old ide cdrom and set up as secondary master on motherboard in machine targeted. here is the motherboard link for your motherboard http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P4i945GC/, it shows 2 ide connectors.

I am assuming you are not using an ide to cf adapter? That is what was I used in my M60 control I upgraded.

I had success using the old 800 mgb IDE hard drive at first but wanted the speed increase in booting to a 4 gb cf card

I had several cf cards that I had in other dos controls 512 Mb to 2 and 4 gb cards.

By the way I had issues on first try with the cf card I had installed to booting , grub boot failure was message, I had to use a slacko live cd and boot and use fdisk to delete the failed Dos & Linux partitions and start over with a un partitioned card before it finally installed correctly.

Ron
mfry

Post by mfry »

Thanks for the info about your experience with formatted cf cards. I'm trying to install directly to an ssd. I had no idea what a hassle it would be just finding a working ide optical drive. Finally got one that isn't dead from the tip and now I gotta find a ps2 mouse. I know it's legacy software and centroid is sharing internal processes not really designed for customer ease of use but it's turned into way more of a scavenger hunt than I expected.
rl49
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: K2019,K1110

Post by rl49 »

I used one of these https://www.showmecables.com/usb-a-fema ... MNEALw_wcB I had for the mouse as the kernel didn't find the mouse strictly usb
mfry

Post by mfry »

So I finally got it to work! Found a PS2 mouse, installed directly to an SSD. Had some issues so if anybody else is in this sort of spot here's what I had to do:
Boot into gparted on a usb stick.
Format the SSD -- one primary ext3 partition of less than 4GB, a second primary partition sized the rest of the drive. Unformatted disk it can't mount to install, any other formatting configuration and it hangs at "syncing volume" or something like that, after the partition table is rewritten.

Procedure in TB243 I have a couple of questions about:
changing parameters -- 29 and 30 are values in degrees F, right? Mine has the same values but in C (machine is metric, built in UK). I assume that's correct. Are there any other pitfalls like this waiting for me that you know about?
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

You are correct. Those values are in degrees F. There shouldn't be anything else that you would need to modify since you are using metric rather than imperial. All of the other parameters should already be taken care of whenever you updated using the report.zip file.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..