Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Can the Oak run an umbrella?

Post by Toolhoardercnc »

I know the OAK has i/o expansion capabilities but can it operate a 16 tool umbrella changer on a mill without a PLC ADD1616 ?
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
CNC12: Yes

Re: Can the Oak run an umbrella?

Post by tblough »

It depends on what control signals the umbrella changer needs to operate. The Oak had 16 inputs and 7 SPST and 2 SPDT outputs. You can customize the PLC program to read and act on any of the inputs and generate any of the outputs. Is there an online manual for the changer that you can post a link to?
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Toolhoardercnc
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by Toolhoardercnc »

I have a 91' Hurco BMC 20 and have been looking for years and have not found anything specific to changer function. It moves left/right via pneumatics, rotates cw/ccw using a geneva motor to index, etc. Not sure how it calls for and keeps track of tool positions.
I thought I saw somewhere that Centroid has a couple "standard" tool changer programs? I can not see any thing special about my changer function, accept that newer umbrella designs seem to have the Z axis move to accept/release the tool and mine moves the umbrella up and down to accept/release the tool. I would want to lock the umbrella up/down motion and just move the Z like the more common arraignments today.
Anyone have experience with this type of changer and Oak board?
Toolhoardercnc

Post by Toolhoardercnc »

I have a 91' Hurco BMC 20 and have been looking for years and have not found anything specific to changer function. It moves left/right via pneumatics, rotates cw/ccw using a geneva motor to index, etc. Not sure how it calls for and keeps track of tool positions.
I thought I saw somewhere that Centroid has a couple "standard" tool changer programs? I can not see any thing special about my changer function, accept that newer umbrella designs seem to have the Z axis move to accept/release the tool and mine moves the umbrella up and down to accept/release the tool. I would want to lock the umbrella up/down motion and just move the Z like the more common arrangements today.
Anyone have experience with this type of changer and Oak board?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You will be struggling to make it all fit without a PLCADD1616, but if you really have to, you might be able to make it work.

Assuming that you don't need mist coolant, don't allow resetting spindle drive faults, and use single-coil (spring-return) solenoids for the two pneumatic motions of the carousel (as well as the tool unclamp), you could have:
OUT1 - NoFaultOut (part of E-stop loop)
OUT2 - Lube
OUT3 - Flood (coolant)
OUT4 - Carousel In
OUT5 - Carousel Down
OUT6 - Spindle Orient
OUT7 - Spindle Run
OUT8 - Spindle Direction
OUT9 - Tool Unclamp

If you only need to run your spindle forward (no tapping), then you can free up one additional output.

On the input side, there are probably sensors and signals for:
Carousel In
Carousel Out
Carousel Up
Carousel Down
Tool Clamped
Tool Unclamped
Spindle Oriented
Tool Counter (typically a single prox sensor which detects the Geneva cam going around)

Since you should have six limit switches, a low lube signal, spindle drive fault, and E-stop, there would normally be just seven inputs available for the above eight items. But again, you could decide that monitoring low lube is not important, or you could just assume that the carousel has returned out to its parked position a couple seconds after you see it leave the in/extended position.

So in short, you can probably make it work.

Or you could just spend another $445 and do it right.
Toolhoardercnc

Post by Toolhoardercnc »

Now that is the kind of intel I am looking for. You guys are Awesome. Thanks.