**RESOLVED** 4.4.5 Testing PC, MPU11

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

Captain Midnight

**RESOLVED** 4.4.5 Testing PC, MPU11

Post by Captain Midnight »

4.4.5 Testing PC, Drive Fault Relay

The drive falt relay will not close. How can I fix this?

I have no continuity between Drive Fault Rly 1 and Drive Fault Rly 2 when the Emergency
stop is released.
diycncscott

Re: 4.4.5 Testing PC, MPU11

Post by diycncscott »

The following conditions will prevent the drive fault relay from closing:

On Mach3
Estop input open, reset button not pressed in software or encoder fault

In CNC11
Estop input open or full power without motion (usually encoder related), position error, servo fault, spindle fault, lube fault or encoder error.

Are you running Mach3 or CNC11?

Are any faults being reported?

If you are running Mach, does your diag screen look like this?
machdiags.gif
If it does not, please carefully review sections 4.4.2-4.6.2 in the manual I've provided a link to below to make sure your wiring is correct and disable any encoder errors that you may have.
http://www.ajaxcnc.com/tech/downloads/m ... ach3_winxp

If you are running CNC11, make sure inputs 11, 18 and 25 are GREEN on your I/O screen. If not, please review sections 4.4.2-4.4.5 in the manual listed below to correct your wiring and/or lube and spindle fault configuration.

http://www.ajaxcnc.com/tech/downloads/m ... nc11_winxp

Regards

Scott
rppman

Post by rppman »

Sounds like your e-stop contactor is not engaging when you reset your e-stop. Can you hear the contactor click when you reset? If so, check the voltage from the wires going to the relay1 and 2 with a multimeter gage and see if your are getting the 24v ac.
If you cannot hear the contactor switch, double check your contactor power source and make sure you are getting 24v ac. To the coils. Hope this helps. Scott
Captain Midnight

cnc11. I am at 4.4.4 testing stage. I havn't hooked anything up yet, except e-stop and limmit switches. They all read fine.
When testing Drive Fault Rly 1 and Drive Fault Rly 2 I have no continuity. I have also disabled lube and spindle fault inputs, for testing.
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Hello Captain,

As we discussed in our conversation yesterday, you were getting encoder errors because you had not connected your encoders. This will drop out the drive fault relay. You have to disable your encoder faults.

You really can't skip any steps and then jump into testing your drive fault relay. As I mentioned on the phone and in my previous post -any fault drops out the drive fault relay.

Further information on disabling your encoders and disabling stall detection for testing purposes has been added to latest CNC11/MPU11 installation manual (20 July 2010) available here:

http://www.ajaxcnc.com/tech/downloads/m ... nc11_winxp
Captain Midnight

I have not skiped any steps.
4.4.3 Disabling encoder faults and disabling Stall Detection for testing
To disable the encoder faults, set parameters 308-315 to 0 and press F10-Save to save
the settings.
4.4.4 Disabling the lube fault and spindle fault inputs for testing purposes Input 18 is
dedicated for use as a lube fault input in the PLC and Input 25 is dedicated for use as a
spindle fault input in the PLC. When the lube fault or spindle fault input is open a the
appropriate fault is displayed on the screen. These faults need to be disabled for testing
purposes. To disable these faults:
Press F1 -Setup ? F3 Config, password = 137, Press enter ? F3 Parms
Once in the parameter screen, press F8 -Next Table once and then set parameter number
178 to 3.0000 Press F10 to save your changes and then press the escape key twice to
return to the main sceen.
Toggle the “Limit DIP Switches” located on the DC3IOB drive to defeat and enable the limit
switch inputs while observing the real-time I/O screen.

What did I miss?
Thank you
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

My guess is that it's stall detection. I went over this with you on the phone but forgot to add the procedure in the manual (now fixed). My apologies.

To disable stall detection:

F1 -Setup, F3 Config (pw=137)->F4 PID

Press the "Ctrl" and "v" keys simultaneously to toggle stall detection on/off. Observe the the message "Stall Detection Disabled" is displayed

From the main screen press F3 to enter MDI mode. If it shows you "Block" and it stays on the screen, you're in business.

If it kicks you out, you have a fault. What error message is displayed in the status window?

Please make a report and email it to tech@ajaxcnc.com . To create a report: F7-Utilities, F7-Report,use the arrow keys to navigate to the directory you want to save it to and press F10-Accept

BTW - If you exit the software and don't reboot the hardware before re-starting CNC11, you will need to cycle the Estop to clear any faults that may be present.
Captain Midnight

OK, "Stall Detection Disabled" is displayed.

I'm still getting Lube fault.

In the instructions to disable lube and spindle faults, it says to set parameter 178 to 3.000, does that disable both lube fault and spindle fault?
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

Yes setting parameter 178 to 3 will change the low_lube fault and the spindle_fault to normally open instead of normally closed. Your other option is to simply jumper the low lube and spindle fault inputs to input common.

P178 Bit 0 Low lube Add 1 for Normally open
Bit 1 Spindle fault Add 2 for Normally open
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
Captain Midnight

4.4.3 Disabling encoder faults and disabling Stall Detection for testing
To disable the encoder faults, set parameters 308-315 to 0 and press F10-Save to save
the settings.
4.4.4 Disabling the lube fault and spindle fault inputs for testing purposes Input 18 is
dedicated for use as a lube fault input in the PLC and Input 25 is dedicated for use as a
spindle fault input in the PLC. When the lube fault or spindle fault input is open a the
appropriate fault is displayed on the screen. These faults need to be disabled for testing
purposes. To disable these faults:
Press F1 -Setup ? F3 Config, password = 137, Press enter ? F3 Parms
Once in the parameter screen, press F8 -Next Table once and then set parameter number
178 to 3.0000 Press F10 to save your changes and then press the escape key twice to
return to the main sceen.
Toggle the “Limit DIP Switches” located on the DC3IOB drive to defeat and enable the limit
switch inputs while observing the real-time I/O screen.
Stall Detection Disabled

Still no continuity at fault relay 1 and 2, with estop pushed.
What's next?
Thank you