**RESOLVED** Bridgeport s2 r2dv w/century controller convert

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

pwborst

**RESOLVED** Bridgeport s2 r2dv w/century controller convert

Post by pwborst »

Good morning,

i would like to convert a bridgeport series ii with a century mark 2000 controller over to mach 3. the drive motors say 146 max volts with 14.6 stall current. permanent magnet dc servo motor. it has general electric hi-ak servo drive. what would be the best / cheapest way to do a conversion.

Thank you
diycncscott

Re: Bridgeport series 2 r2dv with century controller convers

Post by diycncscott »

Hello,

Your best bet would be our DC3IOB kit for $1195.00 which includes a 3 axis servo amplifier(rated at 15A continuous per axis), PLC and motion control.

You can re-use your motors and servo power supply and may be able to re-use your encoders as well. Do you have any information on the encoders that are currently installed?
pwborst

Post by pwborst »

i believe all of the encoders are BEI the model number is really long but it starts with e25c-250-

i would like to order soon, how long is lead time on shipping.

Thank you
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Hello pwborst,

In general, the -250 in the BEI encoder part number indicates the line count(resolution) of the encoder. The 250 line count encoder does not provide enough resolution for our system and would need to be replaced with encoders of at least 1000 line count. We offer 2000 line count encoders at $135.00ea. These encoders generate 8000 counts per revolution of the encoder -8 times the resolution of you current encoder.

Everything is in stock. Due to testing, orders typically ship within 3-5 days

Regards

Scott
pwborst

Post by pwborst »

what i believe i have is a bridgport boss series II that was updated in the early 90's and therefore the ge century controller.
boss2.jpg
is there a way to electronically controll the spindle speed from the mach system. right now i have a speed up/speed down button that controlls the air solenoid valvesand the indicator disc on the front of the machine but i don't believe that the mach system knows the spindle speed. i don't want to buy a new spindle motor right now. just looking at the options

i just found this will it easily interface with the mach system i am planning on buying from you or do you recommend something else?
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Sho ... 9/GS2-23P0
james188

Post by james188 »

We are using the GS2 2hp here and controlling the spindle speed from Mach3. So you should be able to do the same with the 3hp on your mill. You would need to eliminate the air up /down and either change the variable speed belt and pulleys or pin the belt and pulley at one location.
pwborst

Post by pwborst »

ok, got most of my stuff, spindle runs. z axis moves. need to mount encoders for the x and y tomorrow. what i am looking for is some kind of brain or whatever i need to do the spindle speed and brake on the boss. i saw one posted for the cnc11 software somewhere and am looking for one for the mach3 software. does anyone have anything written? even if you could point me in the direction of how to write brains. a manual of some sort would be of great help.

Thank you
Patrick
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Hi pw,

For BOSS Spindle Speed Up/Down and Spindle Brake, check here:

http://www.ajaxcnc.com/ajaxbb/viewtopic ... 57&start=0
pwborst

Post by pwborst »

those brains worked great, thank you. just an fyi to anyone else who uses them, i had to swap the air lines that go to my brake because it would be off when called to be on and only engage when spindle wanted to be on. not a big deal but something to watch out for. also i added a timer to the "b" key press so it would hold the brake for 30 seconds for me to switch tools easier (i have the nmtb 30 with a quick chuck nut- it's not the QuickSwitch 30 but similar i believe)

thank you