**RESOLVED** Want to convert a Hurco KM3P to Ajax

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

JC-Hurco

**RESOLVED** Want to convert a Hurco KM3P to Ajax

Post by JC-Hurco »

I have a Hurco KM3P cnc knee mill. It is costing me more to keep it running with new/old parts than a retrofit would be total price. My thoughts are to buy an Ajax kit http://www.ajaxcnc.com/ for $1199 and go from there. The US digital encoders are probably what will be used. This machine has Brushed DC servos on it. The rating is 90volts DC, and AC rating is: 12 amps continuous, and 20 amps peak.

Will the Ajax bundle with (MPU11 Motion Controller & DC3IO 3 Axis DC Servo Drive & PLC ) operate this?

Do I need the package for external servo drivers and use Viper drives ?

Several people tell me to piece together a system, but I would rather have it all form one place. Easier to troubleshoot & diagnose.

Next question is about Mach 3. I know that thousands of people use Mach 3, but the Centroid/Ajax control is more reliable.

How much more is it to go from the Mach 3 to the BASIC Ajax control? I don't care about all of the bells & whistles, or conversational programming. Just something easy to operate and I'll use Mastercam to program most of my operations.

Is there a Master cam v9 post for Ajax?

Can someone give me a total cost for the package and program?

I look at the prices and can't figure out or don't see what I need.

Thanks,
JC- Hurco
diycncscott

Re: Want to convert a Hurco KM3P to Ajax

Post by diycncscott »

Hi JC,

The DC3IOB drive is perfectly suited for those motors. You can re-use the exisitng servo power supply, motors.

The price for the Centroid based software is $500, Mach software is $175.00. You don't need to purchase any software with the hardware as the hardware comes with a 30 Day eval of the Centroid software and you can download the Mach software in demo mode for free. Run them side-by-side and then choose what you like best. Mach will only run programs of up to 500 lines in demo mode. The Centroid demo software is fully functional for 30 days of Operation not calendar time. If you don't use it for a day or a week or a month, it doesn't timeout.

Yes. We have Mastercam posts for versions 3 to current.

Cost would be $1195.00 for the DC3IOB 3 axis Servo drive, PLC and motion control board. Software costs as stated above. You may also want to consider the machine control penadant @$625.00 available here: http://ajaxcnc.com/cnc_components.htm

You can run the machine from the keyboard and upgrade to the pendant later - it plugs right in
JC-Hurco

Post by JC-Hurco »

WOW Scott, That is too easy. :shock: :D

So then, the basic centroid $500 software will get the machine running. I downloaded a trial version of Ajax Mill demo. Does this have all of the features of the basic version software? Are there any canned cycles in the demo that are optional and have to be purchased as an upgrade?

I read on a few other sites where guys would claim that their machine ran great, and when the trial version ran out they couldn't hardly operate the mill???????? They wouldn't clarify what they were talking about. My guess is they didn't ask enough questions, then purchased the basic kit like I am wanting, and when the time trial ran out on the wizards and conversational goodies they were mad.

Does this Centroid software run on Windows or Linux? I have used Linux Ubuntu some. It seems to navigate around the same as Windows for me. Of course the computer I would be using would be dedicated to the CNC controller only. No Cad, E-mail, etc.

Also, this mill has the variable spindle speed from the controller. It is operated by a motor on the side of the head. This motor turns the vari-pulley up or down to adjust the speed which is read by a sensor.

Would it be better to get a VFD to drive the spindle or try to do something with this vari-drive? I didn't know if maybe you had an easy solution for this.

Thanks for all of your help,

JC
please no smoke

Post by please no smoke »

I am in the middle of an Ajax retrofit on my KMC3. I am using the optional aftermarket drives (I'm going with AMC due to price). So far I am plugging away. My machine has the tool changer and a lot of funky stuff due to that, like the auto tool release. Your machine should be fairly easy to setup. Make sure you have the original manual for the mill because your going to need it.
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Hi JC,

The latest software will run in Linuix or Windows but I'd run the Centroid software in Windows -Like or not, Windows works. It works with ALL the PC hardware out there now and will work with ALL the hardware that comes out in the future. If went went to Newegg and went eeny-meeny-minie-moe and bought a motherboard or graphics card tomorrow - it's going to work in any Windows from XP to Win7 32 or 64bit. period. I like Linux too.. but you simply can't say that about Linux.

As for your spindle... hard to say. What kind of work do you do? If you do alot of low speed "hogging" you may want to consider keeping the mechanical vary-speed because it offers a mechanical advantage at low spindle RPM. If you do mostly 750rpm+ aluminum etc... I'd probably go with the VFD and use the back gear (does it have one?) for low rpm stuff.

Some of the standard features that the $500 Centroid software includes:

Intercon conversational programming - Everything you see in the demo is standard
4MB Standard file size
G54-G59 WCS (6)
Sub Programs and Macros
Programmable spindle speed (12bit 0-10VDC output)

What it doesn't include:
The probe ($1160.00) or digitizing software ($3000.00)
The Tool touch off post ($505.00)
Unlimited file size ($495)
Extended WCS (12 more for $275)
BCD Toolchange for ATC's ($250)
JC-Hurco

Post by JC-Hurco »

No smoke,

Thanks for the info. I think I am probably just a couple of months behind you on being aggravated with the factory Hurco parts and problems, and starting a retro. Of course these machines are old and it is amazing that they run at all with some of the wiring , etc, being old . I'll be asking you for info.

Scott,

The basic package sounds like plenty to me. On the file size, what is the basic maximum file size? Also, will the Centroid take a drip feed from MasterCam, NClink, or hyperterminal ?

I prefer running Windows. Do I need XP on the computer for this? I have a stripped down computer with Windows 2000 on it that would be perfect for this.

Thanks for all of the help guys,

JC
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Hi JC,

The standard maximum file size if 4MB.

With the purchased option of unlimited file size the only limit is the size of the hard drive (we have customers that run multi-Gigabyte files)

We do not accept a drip feed, if you need more than the standard 4MB, you'll need the unltd file size option.

You could try the old computer but I can't promise anything. You can buy XP(or Win7), a new motherboard w/video, RAM and CPU from Newegg for $250.00 -Probably worth the investment -it will be a good setup for years...